Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C and Ventilated Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now that summer is here how have Model X drivers found the A/C units in the car? I have found mine to be very unimpressive. With the car going on "Lo" temp setting at max fan for over 20 minutes, I can tell you that I have not found the air to be very cool. The car seems to always been "warm". I had the service center look into it last time my car was in the shop but they told me it was operating normally.

Additionally, the A/C seats offer almost no air flow. I have had this feature in my other cars and found it to be much stronger. I can barely feel anything with these seats.

Curious if others have different experiences.

Thanks

I've found that full auto usually doesn't move enough air, but putting the fan to 11 manually seems to help (with everything else still set to auto, temp around 68-70F). I'd rate the A/C in the MX a 6/10. Not the worst I've had, but I'm often pretty warm in it. Using the pre-conditioning functionality helps a ton.

I've also found the vented seats are nearly worthless. I leave them on 3 all the time and every once in a while I feel the air. Generally I don't really feel anything.

The AC works well, but "Auto" doesn't get the job done, have to manually crank up the fan. I suppose Tesla knows this and that's why the fan control is on the right thumb wheel by default. Ventilated seats are unimpressive. They seem to be tied to the fan control as well, but it's very subtle. They definitely need to move more air. We had temps up to 115°F on our last road trip and we kept the car comfortable. However we still feel a lot of radiant heat from that big windshield and I would like a bit more airflow down low from my knees to my feet. No AC system is going to counter that. If I could change any aspect of it, I would double the airflow through the seats.

I leave my A/C set to 70 and the fan on Auto and it is comfortable for me. I do have to override the rear and set it colder because my son is in a rear facing car seat and he doesn't get much airflow (but that would be a problem in any vehicle).

For the ventilated seats although you don't necessarily feel a strong airflow, I can absolutely tell the difference when it is on vs off. A few times it has been turned off after a service visit or some other reason. I started to wonder why my seat was so warm and then remembered to turn the ventilated seats back on. I could feel the difference after a short period of time.

Reactions: Saxena
The AC works well, but "Auto" doesn't get the job done, have to manually crank up the fan. I suppose Tesla knows this and that's why the fan control is on the right thumb wheel by default. Ventilated seats are unimpressive. They seem to be tied to the fan control as well, but it's very subtle. They definitely need to move more air. We had temps up to 115°F on our last road trip and we kept the car comfortable. However we still feel a lot of radiant heat from that big windshield and I would like a bit more airflow down low from my knees to my feet. No AC system is going to counter that. If I could change any aspect of it, I would double the airflow through the seats.
The unfortunate result of more airflow due to restrictions within the seat itself...would be more noise...and it is already noisy, at least to me.

If you are not getting a big blast of cold air when you set temp on auto and LO, there is something very wrong. The my Model X blows real cold on 105° days in Northern California. What you describe sounds like an AC compressor failure that I had a few months ago in my Model S. Others have reported early compressor failure or bad wiring connection with their X.

Additionally, the A/C seats offer almost no air flow. I have had this feature in my other cars and found it to be much stronger. I can barely feel anything with these seats.
Same here. My cooled seats are worthless, even when set to 3. These seats are why I bought the Premium Upgrades Package, and I am very disappointed. (Not sure if it makes any difference, but I have the white seats.)

My A/C works, but it doesn't seem to sense temperature changes very well. I'm constantly manually changing the temperature from 71 to 67 and back over the course of a drive.

I don't have an X, but have had a/c seats in many other cars. Three Mercedes felt like they barely worked at all. Lexus was a little better, but Cadillac would freeze my behind off if left in high. I don't think you ever really feel much, if any, air flow, but somehow Cadillac seamed to deliver a/c air to the seat, not just ventilated {recirculated} cabin air.

Based on reports that there are compression lines mixed up on some early X vehicles (mine probably included), I think an eventual SC visit should fix these complaints. For those who complain that there's no effect from the ventilated seats, I would also add that to the SC list. While I don't feel anything at level 1 when I'm wearing pants, cranking it up to level 3 allows both me and my wife to be comfortable at the same cabin temperature. It's very noticeable. I mean, I don't turn into an air hockey puck, but it's obvious something's going on.

Thanks for your input, ohmman. I'm glad to hear you actually feel an airflow from the seats. One day, when I get a new S, I'd love to get the ventilated seats, as I live in Florida. I'm assuming they will be available in the Model S one day, and hoping they will work as well as they did in my Cadillac. I sat in a Model X at the Orlando SC recently, and the seats were so comfortable and the perforated leather was so soft - really top notch. I also love that windshield - really futuristic, like a spaceship. Enjoy!