TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A/C Compressor Noise

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Shadnic, Apr 11, 2019.

1. SilverGS

SilverGS Member

Just got my 2016 75D 4 weeks ago and I started hearing this very loud buzzing sound too when the car is stopped (AC on) or driving very slowly and its fairly warm outside. After driving at regular highway speeds it stops. I guess I need to get an appointment at my local SC soon.

2. cantbechanged

cantbechanged Member

Checking in with my 2017 Model X. Started getting a loud, high-pitched whine with the A/C a couple of weeks ago. We live in Hawaii and use it daily. This sound is very high-pitched and different than the standard A/C sound. I recorded a video and the SC ordered the compressor based on that. Hopefully getting it fixed soon. It would be unfortunate to lose charging or driving ability.

3. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

How loud is that whine? I had a whine but it was very faint. It turns out to be the evaporator fan making the noise.

4. cantbechanged

cantbechanged Member

Very. It increases in pitch as the system ramps up. It is loud enough to drown out the normal AC sound and be heard clearly inside the car or in the house. Prior to this, you could hear the AC running, but it had sounded just like a loud fan. This is a much more obnoxious noise.

5. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

Mine does the same, and was "not reproducible" when the SC had it. The loaner I had made the same noise but it was much less noticeable and blended into the din of the fans and such. It is NOT that industrial fan sound you hear at the charging stations.

6. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

Almost three years with my S now and I have totally blanked this issue from my mind and it has gotten better with little to no sound of whining motor for AC compressor.

I have discovered Auto setting is best, 71-73 degrees is best and the sound comes faintly at stops like everyone and leaves upon depression of the go pedal.

Also, this week clicking sound under dash upon entry and goes away before you close the door, videoed it, sent it to Tesla Ranger, its mixing actuator for AC recirculation. Now its stuck on full recirc. The AC has never in three years could I say ever worked great.

He said most likely the Gear for the mixer was out of time since forever and I was never getting the full value of AC on short trips. I would get 85 loaners and the air would fly out at me. Now my car does this and its broken in 94 degree heat I'm turning the temp up beyond 73 because I'm cold.

He is ordering parts, Gear and actuator to fix the clicking and the timing of the gear as well. Lets see what the end result is. This car was showroom and guessing it failed way before I got the car. I thought it was just Range mode doing its thing perhaps. Now my car is new to me again.

• Informative x 1