Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C fan making loud noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my 2016 model s with the new front facia. 2 days in cranked the a/c on high and a loud noise like the fan was loose or vibrating. Anyone else have this problem, looks like I have to take it back in to check it out.

I have experienced the same thing in my 2016 MS. I have not had it looked at yet but others here have commented that they were told it is "normal" by their SC. I still plan to have it evaluated when I bring my car in for some other items that need attention soon...

It does double duty cooling the interior and the battery. The battery takes much more work than the interior. That's why it is so loud. Since it's pretty much the only noise it makes, it seems even louder than it is, which is LOUD! I have gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Reactions: 808?
Talked to SC today and scheduled for them to take a look at it in a couple weeks. Sounds almost like when a computer fan goes bad and makes that loud noise. I'm sure its not supposed to sound like that. Will post back after service takes a look.

Reactions: Jurnimon
Just took delivery of my 2016 model s with the new front facia. 2 days in cranked the a/c on high and a loud noise like the fan was loose or vibrating. Anyone else have this problem, looks like I have to take it back in to check it out.

I have a 2014 Model S P85. At start up in the Summer (I live in Michigan), the fan will hum noticeably. But after about 10-15 minutes, as the car/battery cools down, the humming gets less until it goes away. Since the car is silent, this is noticeable. But I only get this less than half the year since I live in the frigid Midwest. And it's only for a few minutes. No biggee.

Does it sound like a playing card in bicycle spokes? If so, something may be caught in the fan. When I picked up my new car I noticed the loud noise. I knew the AC can be loud but it was much louder than my old one, so I stopped by SC. When the tech came out, he opened the frunk, reached in and pulled some label sticker, which apparently came loose from something else. Problem solved.

I have a 2014 Model S P85. At start up in the Summer (I live in Michigan), the fan will hum noticeably. But after about 10-15 minutes, as the car/battery cools down, the humming gets less until it goes away. Since the car is silent, this is noticeable. But I only get this less than half the year since I live in the frigid Midwest. And it's only for a few minutes. No biggee.

The sound from a P85+ I drove for several days was loud but was much more refined than the sound I hear from my 90D. It's been quite hot here in Massachusetts lately and perhaps the system is working hard to cool the battery and occupants. :)

Anybody with a Classic single motor S dig around yet under the frunk bin to find the A/C compressor?

Mine has really picked up in volume when it's working hard... it seems like it's vibrating more than it should... and I'm wondering if a bracket has come loose?

If it's relatively easy to get at, I would gladly tackle the job of tightening it myself.

Anyone done that?