Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A cool thing about the Gen 3 Wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last spring, when I had my Gen 3 Wall Connector installed in my parking spot, to replace my Sun Country Highway L2 charger, I thought I would be a basic dude and allow the "other" Tesla owner to use my spot when I was away. It turned out that when we returned from our trip, the "other" guy really didn't give a $h!t about my charger and left it near the floor. Now these things are actually quite competitively priced, but that still doesn't excuse a lack of respect for other people's things, especially when they lend them to you.

After a bit of research, I was able to lock the WC3 to my VIN. This is why upon initial connection, the led's are blue, while it authenticates the car. Smart thinkingTesla! Now if my friendly neighbour on our floor, gets their Tesla, I will add their VIN to my WC3, cuz I know they're cool.

IMG_0018.jpeg
IMG_0019.jpeg

Steel Electrical Enclosure Box, for Tesla Wall Connector https://a.co/d/fATy28U
So many great options out there. Thank you for sharing. That is so much of an overkill for my setup. I’m in a supposed “secure” garage, which still didn’t prevent some people from getting their catalytic converters stolen. Fortunately, the Tesla doesn’t have one and my stall is near enough to cameras.

Reactions: chobra
Hi all, I have an opposite problem to this with my Gen 3 charger, I have a Model 3 and 2 BMW i3s and I used to be able to charge them all from the Tesla charger. We have a PowerWall as well so I stupidly (if it aint broke don't fix it) decided to add the Gen 3 charger to the Tesla App and now it will only charge the Tesla Model 3 and not the BMW i3s. I have emailed tech services nada... have been to my 'local' tesla service centre (120 miles away) where they told me to press the bytton on the charger gun 12 times.... it didn't work and now I have been on hold to the Tesla service centre for the last 40mins being told that all their lines are busy but my call is valuable to them.... so am slowly losing the will to lve on this one. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi all, I have an opposite problem to this with my Gen 3 charger, I have a Model 3 and 2 BMW i3s and I used to be able to charge them all from the Tesla charger. We have a PowerWall as well so I stupidly (if it aint broke don't fix it) decided to add the Gen 3 charger to the Tesla App and now it will only charge the Tesla Model 3 and not the BMW i3s. I have emailed tech services nada... have been to my 'local' tesla service centre (120 miles away) where they told me to press the bytton on the charger gun 12 times.... it didn't work and now I have been on hold to the Tesla service centre for the last 40mins being told that all their lines are busy but my call is valuable to them.... so am slowly losing the will to lve on this one. Any help will be appreciated.
There is a special group, within Tesla, who handle the Wall Connector setups. That number, should be on the pamphlet with the WC box. I don’t have it handy, but I recall that I was blown away by how good the tech was when I needed to complete my setup.

Optionally, for owner support and issue troubleshooting: (888) 765-2489
For North America Electrician and Installer support: (650) 963-5655

The G3WC is amazing for so many reasons. It took awhile for my understanding to get there as I thought I would use the Mobile Connector, but at almost the same total cost it did not make sense: GFCI breaker, industrial 14-50/5-50 outlet and mobile connector vs non GFCI breaker, because the G3 has it build in, no outlet necessary and the G3...I am actually in the process of installing the 2nd G3, both hanging off a subpanel in the garage, simul charging MYP and M3RWD at the same time....amazing
can't wait for the future where people come offer for a charging party...

Reactions: Soul Surfer