Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A deadline-related tax question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my model 3 and there's one issue bugging me, rattling underneath the car.
For speculation purposes, if I were to return the car, then put in another order, I wouldn't make the tax deadline.
However... the 1040 form asks only if you bought the car and on what date. So, I did buy a model 3 on 6/22, and as far as I know even if I were to return it and not buy another, I'd still get the rebate (yes, I could be audited, I realize. This is hypothetical).

If I'm truly unhappy with this car, I am thinking I can return it, order another, and still get my $3850 tax credit. What do you think?

...if I were to return it and not buy another, I'd still get the rebate...

Title for returned cars have never been issued to a 7-day new owner so most likely, they are re-sold as "New Inventory".

Those new inventory owners will then file the tax with the same VIN.

It'll be flagged as duplicated VIN between the 7-day new owner and new inventory owner.

Yeah, if the IRS ever checks anything again (with their current audit budget) it needs to be a car delivered to you in the proper time period. We’ve all discussed what if I sell it etc. but not the resold as new in the same time period issue (so someone else can also claim the debate).

I have no idea what records the IRS is checking again for this (if they check anything outside an audit). Not sure it’s title, or what.

I mean, I’m taking the 30% renewables credit yielding more than the car rebate and there is zero backup. You enter a number and that’s it.

I HAVE backup, but the IRS form doesn’t request any and I’ve gotten the refund on schedule. May have raised my audit profile a few points... :D

My point is, better not to flag yourself without backup. No matter how low your chances of an audit.

Best answer: see if there’s an inventory car you can get before 7/1.

Edit: re-reading OP, best answer is see what’s wrong with the car. Could be a loose trim cover. Who knows.

IRS Form 8936 asks for the purchase date, VIN, etc. But it says nothing about still owning the vehicle at the time taxes are filed.
Did I buy a car in 2019? Yes. Can I prove it? Yes. Beyond that, I can't find any evidence of why not.
I emailed my tax guy to see if he knows.

Hmm, I think that could be the case. It states:
The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit.
•You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year.
•The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
•The original use of the vehicle began with you.
•You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.
•You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.

Just got my model 3 and there's one issue bugging me, rattling underneath the car.
For speculation purposes, if I were to return the car, then put in another order, I wouldn't make the tax deadline.
However... the 1040 form asks only if you bought the car and on what date. So, I did buy a model 3 on 6/22, and as far as I know even if I were to return it and not buy another, I'd still get the rebate (yes, I could be audited, I realize. This is hypothetical).

If I'm truly unhappy with this car, I am thinking I can return it, order another, and still get my $3850 tax credit. What do you think?

Not legally. Annoying yes, but the best option is to just get the rattle fixed. By design it should not rattle so they should be able to find the issue and rectify it.

I'm just glad as hell it's based on when you take delivery, not when your plates are issued.Minnesota DMV is so slow that Tesla told me I can almost take for granted that I will need at least a second temporary license before my plates arrive. At least. I could be looking at mid August or later to get plates for a car I took delivery on in mid June.

Ok. You just got your new M3 and a noise under the car should illicit a "I need to report this to Tesla immediately and have them fix it on warranty while I drive a Tesla loaner." Keep your car, keep your tax rebate and take advantage of Tesla's network and your warranty!!! You just bought a luxury car, not a Honda or Toy car.

Ok. You just got your new M3 and a noise under the car should illicit a "I need to report this to Tesla immediately and have them fix it on warranty while I drive a Tesla loaner." Keep your car, keep your tax rebate and take advantage of Tesla's network and your warranty!!! You just bought a luxury car, not a Honda or Toy car.

Q is are rattles covered under warranty and will Tesla do a loaner under this situation. Still plenty of time for OP b/f next week.

A new car... That rattles? I would insist to any agent that it did! Often it's something stupid like our 3 has plastic access points at the bottom of the rocker panels in the black vinyl area. One of the access doors was open and flapping around. We couldn't hear anything but when I climbed under there it was. I pushed until I heard and felt a click. Easy peasey. Not to say it couldn't be something more critical, but there isn't nearly as many moving parts as an ICE vehicle.
And No, she couldn't claim the credit. As Tam stated the legalese is quite clear. That you own. Not did own. The same VIN on two separate applications would indeed raise huge red flags.