Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Different 2020.4.1 Update Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Supporting Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
Okay, it is early I know, but wanted to throw this out for any advice.

I updated last night. This morning, no problems on my drive in to work. But when I headed out to client later in the morning, TACC and Auto Steer couldn't be engaged and the backup camera was black. I soft rebooted twice, but that didn't make a difference. We were inside for about 20 minutes and then drove back, with the same limitations (and I tried a soft reboot on the way back as well).

I was hoping it would correct itself after sitting for a couple of hours, but when I went to lunch, same issues. I did realize I had Sentry activated, so I turned that off. I also ejected both drives and pulled the splitters out of the USB ports (so NOTHING was plugged in). The car has been sitting for about four hours (plugged in) and I am hoping everything is good, but TBH, I am not optimistic.

If not, my last hope is a hard reset.

Any other suggestions before I book a service appointment?

I updated last night. This morning, no problems on my drive in to work. But when I headed out to client later in the morning, TACC and Auto Steer couldn't be engaged and the backup camera was black. I soft rebooted twice, but that didn't make a difference. We were inside for about 20 minutes and then drove back, with the same limitations (and I tried a soft reboot on the way back as well).

I was hoping it would correct itself after sitting for a couple of hours, but when I went to lunch, same issues. I did realize I had Sentry activated, so I turned that off. I also ejected both drives and pulled the splitters out of the USB ports (so NOTHING was plugged in). The car has been sitting for about four hours (plugged in) and I am hoping everything is good, but TBH, I am not optimistic.

When mine did this a few months back, letting it sit and go to sleep on its own was the fix. Soft reboots did nothing. Good luck.

Reactions: Kevy Baby

you hit the 'timing bug' (as I call it) when you interrupted the car when it wanted to shut down various systems. you interrupted it, it woke some up but not all (this is my theory).

nothing an end user can do, sadly. sleep/wake refreshes the state of all devices and they work again.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
How do you do a soft reboot vs a hard reboot. I always put my foot on the brake and hold both buttons down on the steering wheel while in Park. Is that a hard one?

No, a hard reset is disconnecting the 12V battery. From what I’ve read holding down the brake pedal while doing the two button reboot does nothing extra.

Did you try “power off” from the service menu?

What am I missing? I don’t see a Power Off button. I don’t think I want to do a factor reset.
C3775496-0D71-4921-9851-866460A2CE42.jpeg

Last edited:
A caveat about that mountainpass reset method - I had a mobile tech do it to my car to try and reset the range estimate. He got on a bit of a rant about the amount of misinformation that's out there about this, including the mountainpass method - he said there's one potentially really bad piece of misinformation in there that can brick cars, and that people shouldn't be doing it as it's described. I forget the details as it's been a few months, but I seem to recall that you need to leave it disconnected under the back seat for longer than it says to - if it's reconnected too soon, the car can get into a boot loop. His bottom line advice was - don't try this at home folks, let the trained professionals do it. Of course, many of us have done it with no problems, so take his advice with a grain of salt.