Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor How To: Perform Hard Reset on Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MountainPass

Global Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Listings
Hello friends!

Sasha's music streaming stopped working for a full day last week, and after we got it back up and running using this procedure we realized it would be selfish to not share it with all of you.

This guide will walk you through how to perform a hard reset on your Tesla Model 3, and hopefully, save you a trip to the SC!

Please let us know what issues you were having and if this helped you resolve them, we would love to hear it.

Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset

- Jesse

So are there three levels of reset? I know there is the "press both buttons on wheel" for soft reset and then "press both buttons on wheel WITH brake pressed" for a more aggressive reset and now this is the "RESET ALL THE THINGS" reset?

I believe this is the "letting the car go to sleep" reset. I have had a few issues so far where I needed to turn off the power rail which happens when the car goes to sleep overnight. I posted elsewhere about a time when I was trying to Supercharge and got a Service Required message instead. I was in the middle of the desert and not near service. I called Tesla and they had me power off my phone, then power off the car and get out. Walk around for 20 minutes (I waited for food at McDonald's). When I came back the car worked again. The reason to power off the phone is so it won't wake the car before it has gone to sleep. I think they had me lock it with the card, but I don't remember.

I had previously not known about the power-off reset and had to wait overnight for the car to sleep so it would accept a charging cable after a hickup at my local Supercharger. Couldn't unplug and I didn't know about the manual release. I spent hours on the phone with Tesla. But, the next morning all was well. When this power rail turns off, all the things that get power from it are effectively reset. It is possible that unplugging the power gives you an even greater level of reset, so maybe 4 levels to reset to try.

I did speak to the Manager at a Service Center who I asked about using the brakes during a two thumb reset and he claimed to never to have heard of it. I have never found a difference between the two kinds of resets other than not being able to do the brake reset while driving. I wonder if it's real. Perhaps there are only three levels...

I was at my local service center today and mentioned pulling the HV connector to fix a no audio problem I had been having. Luckily a recent firmware update had resolved things.

He mentioned to me that if I was going to go this route (which he would neither recommend or not recommend ;-) ) that he would leave it disconnected for at least five minutes before plugging it back in. Otherwise the car has been known to get stuck in a reboot loop.

Pulling the 12v and the HV connector completely powers off the car. It’s like pulling the plug on your computer as oppose to just rebooting it.

Reactions: kbecks13
So are there three levels of reset? I know there is the "press both buttons on wheel" for soft reset and then "press both buttons on wheel WITH brake pressed" for a more aggressive reset and now this is the "RESET ALL THE THINGS" reset?
RESETPTION

1122563.jpg

I did have Tesla offer to do a FACTORY reset when I accidentally hit the thumbs down button on the song Tesla Girls by OMD. They said it was the only way to undo what I had done. It isn't clear what that does or how it's done, but every reset I have done so far (I didn't do the Factory one) has left me with the exact same settings as before the reset.

This guide will walk you through how to perform a hard reset on your Tesla Model 3, and hopefully, save you a trip to the SC!
Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset
Jesse, thank you for your post. However, when I tap on that link I get a new browser window that is...blank. I am using an iPad.

It would be greatly appreciated if, instead of linking to a page on your company website, you would show your reset instructions in a post in this thread. That way everyone can see it and it will be searchable using the TMC search function.

Thank you.