Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A gearhead buys a Telsa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really have to give them the benefit of the doubt. These are conservative mid-westerners. John gave an incredibly progressive opinion with that fact taken in and they didn't have much in way of rebuttal.

He is right on a few negative points imo. Charging still sucks for longer trips. There is no getting around an extra 45 minutes just for charging vs 5 minutes for filling up your ICE. The track is doable, especially in a performance, but the brakes are not up to par and the battery does drain. This brings up the 45 minutes of charging point again.

Once Elon doubles or triples the speed of superchargers, it's game over. For any company that hasn't started competing by then, say bye bye.

Reactions: Jivas
You really have to give them the benefit of the doubt. These are conservative mid-westerners. John gave an incredibly progressive opinion with that fact taken in and they didn't have much in way of rebuttal.

He is right on a few negative points imo. Charging still sucks for longer trips. There is no getting around an extra 45 minutes just for charging vs 5 minutes for filling up your ICE. .

FWIW except maybe when you're in the middle of nowhere it rarely makes sense to charge for 45 minutes.... usually two 10-15 minute stops at lower SoC get you more range than one 45 minute one.

I dunno how much those conservative midwest folks are making an hour, but doing a couple extra 10-15 minute stops to save $100 in gas is a good deal for most people.

Reactions: Russell
I didn’t watch the video, but I always laugh at the people that complain about the efficiency of an electric car on the racetrack. It’s exactly the same change on a gas car, you just choose to ignore the difference. My Ariel Atom gets 21 mpg on the street with spirited driving. While it’s been a couple years since I did it, the Atom always got right at 7 mpg at track days in Hallet, OK. The 10 gallon gas tank doesn’t even last through five 15 minute sessions at a track day event.

Efficiency stinks when to toggle from full throttle to full braking and back, but it sure is fun!

Reactions: Jaguar
I also don't believe in climate change. Fake News. But I believe Tesla has been building great cars and I'm excited to get my M3P. Tentatively setup for Friday delivery. Looking forward to driving a fun car!! I didn't buy the car to go green. I bought it for the performance and future updates. I do believe in FSD and purchased it off menu. Not sure I'll ever track the car but it will be another bonus if I do.

You can not believe in gravity too, but if you drive your Model 3 off a cliff, it’s still gonna go crashing into the ground.

Climate change is the same thing.

Agreed. Some of my friends clearly choose convenience (fast fueling) over anything else and these are smart people with technical backgrounds. More shocking to me is one is about to become a family with first child

Showing the upside to the wallet (maintenance costs, no fuel costs, etc) or car pool lane access for us Bay Area folks is sadly the best way to influence them so there is that.. one friend got a used Fiat 500e (for cheap) for the carpool lane access alone and was pleasantly surprised to see a $200 a month drop in commute costs.
Save the Cheerleader save the World. So anyone that buys an ICE today just doesn't get it? I wish it was that simple. Could there possibly be other reasons why people buy ICE cars? I'd like to know how I can run my Tesla with "no fuel costs"? I'm not in the Bay Area but last I checked PG&E has some of the highest electricity costs in CA. And PG&E has 100% renewable energy with no fossil fuels being used? FWIW I purchased my Tesla mainly so my wife can use the carpool lane and she does't like going to gas stations. The fact that it pollutes less than my three ICE cars is nice but I still sleep well at night.

FWIW except maybe when you're in the middle of nowhere it rarely makes sense to charge for 45 minutes.... usually two 10-15 minute stops at lower SoC get you more range than one 45 minute one.

I dunno how much those conservative midwest folks are making an hour, but doing a couple extra 10-15 minute stops to save $100 in gas is a good deal for most people.
So you're making judgement calls on peoples ability so save money based on where they live, their views on society and how much money they make? :rolleyes:

As a car car I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I like my M3. I love driving the car even though the software is buggy and has never worked properly since the day I purchased it. But for running errands around town it's my car of choice. I'm even planning on taking it to a track day just for fun. I'm also working on getting level II chargers installed at the three NorCal race tracks. Virtually all cars, even "track day cars" sold off showroom floors, need race pads to work properly on track not to mention the need for additional brake cooling. But other than that I pretty much agree with most of Mr. Payne's assessment of the M3.

• Disagree
Reactions: Msjulie
So you're making judgement calls on peoples ability so save money based on where they live, their views on society and how much money they make? :rolleyes:

Uh... no.
I'm pointing out two shorter SC stops usually makes more sense than one long one...the "middle of no where" remark was to call that out as the exception because 2 shorter stops is an option where most folks live/travel, but not in really remote areas.

And that the amount you save on fuel costs in an EV is greater than the amount 99% of the population earns in the amount of "extra" time SC stops take compared to gas station stops, so in a time is money sense the EV car is better than the ICE one for road trips.

Sorry if you misunderstood what I wrote.

Dude, there are three super charges in all of Michigan. We need people to start putting themselves in other peoples shoes. Comon.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jaguar
There is no getting around an extra 45 minutes just for charging vs 5 minutes for filling up your ICE....

Once Elon doubles or triples the speed of superchargers, ...
… then they'll complain it takes "20 minutes" instead of "5 minutes" even though neither of those are accurate.

Generally speaking, one evaluating a technology or product is generally in one of three states: (Against)"I'll find reasons to be against it", (Undecided)"I'm neutral", and (For)"I'll find reasons to be for it". Sometimes you can start moving an Against to Undecided across one or more conversations. Often you can start moving an Undecided to For.

When manning a booth or providing rides at events, I find that a lot of people that show up at such events are historically against but feel they should consider moving to Undecided -- which leads to some interesting conversations. The people that show up to bluster about how much they are Against don't warrant much of my attention.

Last edited:
there are three super charges in all of Michigan.
Huh? To me, it looks like high teens with over 100 plugs.

MichiganSuperchargers.png

North Dakota, OTOH, seems to have zero. That's horrible.

… then they'll complain it takes "20 minutes" instead of "5 minutes" even though neither of those are accurate.

Generally speaking, one evaluating a technology or product is generally in one of three states: (Against)"I'll find reasons to be against it", (Undecided)"I'm neutral", and (For)"I'll find reasons to be for it". Sometimes you can start moving an Against to Undecided across one or more conversations. Often you can start moving an Undecided to For.

When manning a booth or providing rides at events, I find that a lot of people that show up at such events are historically against but feel they should consider moving to Undecided -- which leads to some interesting conversations. The people that show up to bluster about how much they are Against don't warrant much of my attention.
Watch the video, they weren't complaining. Tesla fanboys are just looking for something to get worked up over, and that sucks. Last thing we need is to "fight off" people that don't need to be.

Reactions: Jivas
Dude, there are three super charges in all of Michigan. We need people to start putting themselves in other peoples shoes. Comon.
I recently drove from Maryland to northern Michigan (800miles) and found plenty of Supercharger options in Michigan along the major routes. I had zero range anxiety even driving at 75mph. The guy in this video should ditch his 19’s and get some aeros if he is concerned about range.

Huh? To me, it looks like high teens with over 100 plugs.

View attachment 359568

North Dakota, OTOH, seems to have zero. That's horrible.
Yeah sorry, what I meant by "michigan" is where the majority of people live, which is about a 50 mile radius around Detroit.

What I'm trying to get at is that these guys aren't wrong. I dont understand why people are having issues accepting certain downsides to owning a tesla, owning that issue, and supporting tesla when they try to move past it. In this case we should all be talking about how elon is going to speed up supercharging speeds in the future.

I have a little skin in the game because I lived in Michigan and know how people think. They are actually incredibly progressive and open minded for the most part. Last thing we need to do is posture up against what will be one of the hardest states to win over. Still no dealership or service center in Michigan due to their legislation being owned by the big three.

Reactions: Jivas and Carrera
Yeah sorry, what I meant by "michigan" is where the majority of people live, which is about a 50 mile radius around Detroit.

What I'm trying to get at is that these guys aren't wrong. I dont understand why people are having issues accepting certain downsides to owning a tesla, owning that issue, and supporting tesla when they try to move past it. In this case we should all be talking about how elon is going to speed up supercharging speeds in the future.
This is only a problem if you don’t have home charging. The SC setup in Michigan is setup for road tripping, not everyday charging.

Reactions: TQCLove
When you compare the length of time gas stations have been competing for business vs the time Tesla has been building out FREE supercharger after FREE supercharger (as I see it, three in process in N. Dakota), it becomes obvious that Tesla is doing a lot more work. Then compare the cost to fill up with gas (~$50) or Tesla electrons (~$0) and the number of stations (every corner has a gas station, usually with four to a dozen pumps, often empty) to one charge station at nearly every home, plus superchargers for trips a couple times a year. You can see that gas station profits are high or there wouldn't be all those stations, and you might be able to see that Tesla doesn't make a lot of money on superchargers, which was the intention.

Support whomever you wish. By the bye, I live in a little community of about 4000 folks. One gas station, closes at dark, not open all weekend. I can drive ten miles to another town if I'm desperate. WAY easier to just plug in while I sleep. Can't do that with gas.