Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little interior lighting mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0C04CB3A-BD4C-4BA8-8533-B7BE447294C1.jpeg

the splice piece has been wrapped with cotton tape to prevent it from rattling. The red/black wire goes to the new lights. This is the passenger side rear door.

Last edited:
Thanks, for the electrical connection, you just splice the pig tails to connect the light ropes and use the pig tails connection to connect between the factory harness and the factory ambient light? Sorry, I haven't opened the panels yet so I cannot tell how the they are connected in the back.

Sounds right - using the pigtails this is pretty plug and play and no changes required to any Tesla/original wiring.

Hey guys I gave this a shot today and noticed that when I plugged in the spliced pigtail both the new light and the existing ambient door light got very dull barely visible unless its a pitch black. When I turned the screen brightness up (which is tied to the ambient lighting brightness) both the door light and the new light turned off. Looking at everyone's pics the lights seem to be a good brightness. I am installing this on a 2021 LR+

@pabla looks like the new lights are drawing too much current. Do both sides of the car go out, or only one side? The transformer/power box could be the problem, I had one that overheated and then short-circuit, causing one side of the car’s ambient lights go dark. See my post earlier in this treat.

edit: did you check on plus and minus? The pigtails have no wire indication which is which. If you mix up the new lights plus and minus then this could be the cause.

@pabla looks like the new lights are drawing too much current. Do both sides of the car go out, or only one side? The transformer/power box could be the problem, I had one that overheated and then short-circuit, causing one side of the car’s ambient lights go dark. See my post earlier in this treat.

edit: did you check on plus and minus? The pigtails have no wire indication which is which. If you mix up the new lights plus and minus then this could be the cause.

I have only tested one side and that side is the only side that goes dark. I will try to check the positive and negative and see if that helps. Out of curiosity how bright are your new lights compared to then existing ambient lights ?

I have regularly turned up the lights to 100% and the lines follow that brightness flawlessly. Checked it this weekend and no problem.

I would exchange the little transformer and check again. The strips themselves are almost indestructible so you can leave them in the door.

after my little misfortune with one of the transformers, I ordered two extra sets so I have a spare at hand.

Guys, careful with wrapping those transformer boxes in insulating stuff!. I had my second box die because of overheating, the box showed several bumps where the plastic has melted and something inside expanded. This time it took out the strip as well, so I had to use one of my spares and redid the back door.

Will post a picture of the melted one later on.

So quick follow up. Getting all the supplies for this project.

1. Thinking of spending a little extra and getting xk glow. Can change color, pulse, etc. Just fun stuff

2. When wiring to the 12v on the door lights, will it always be on or just when those lights are on? With xk glow, will it always have power going to it where you can turn it on if wanted?

3. Heard from someone (maybe uninformed) that splitting wiring without a separate fuse will cause issues. Any truth to this?

Thanks again. Def a noob and spent a whole lot of research to figure this stuff out.

@Joesage

1: If the system you're talking about is what i think, (The fiber optic cables with the LED housing at the end) may or may not work, as they come with a single 12V converter that all the light diodes branch out from. These are independently wired, allowing the wiring to be localized to each door panel without having to run wiring into doors from the main chassis. It might work, i havn't tried it, but i may do some experimenting soon.

2: If you go in through the wiring on the door, the lights will only go on when the ambient lights go on. When you go through an underpass or a tunnel, if it's dark enough to trigger your auto headlights, the ambient light circuit gets powered too. There's also a setting on the MCU to enable and disable the interior ambiet lights (Adjusting brightnessof the display also changes brightness of the lights).

3: I have not had any issues without re-fusing any of the lines.

It's a fun project, and i knew nothing before going in and just trying to make it work lol

Reactions: Joesage
Hey so quick follow up. Is there a way to tap into the foot well ambient lights? Don't wanna do my doors just the dash and might be a lot easier to tap into those lights. And if so will buying those extender cables work? Thanks in advance
If you tap into the footwell lighting it won’t work when the ambient lights are turned on. On the S the footwell lighting is only turned on when a door is opened and turns off once you start driving.