Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S with UNLIMITED range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine having ZERO range anxiety!

This is your opportunity to influence the future direction of EV’s.

There is a technology in the final stages of development, that as part of its technology 'suite' utilizes superconductors, which requires liquid nitrogen to function.

The overall cost of the vehicles will be well below the cost of a current Model S, as the technology generates power on demand (up to 1MW) and as a result doesn’t require batteries or an inverter.

There are two ways to supply the required liquid nitrogen:

1. Recycle the liquid nitrogen (this will add $1,000 to the cost of the vehicle).

2. Fill up a dewar (a specialized container for storing liquid nitrogen) on a regular basis, at a cost estimated to be $10 per week ($520 per year), from the equivalent of a 'gas station'.

To have your say, on the future direction of EV’s, please complete a ONE QUESTION survey, based on the above, by clicking here: Liquid Nitrogen Options Survey
It's exactly one month until April Fools! His timing is a little off!

Here's what a quick search on Google reveals . . . different, no doubt; workable, probably; commercially practical, not yet:
Earliest patent is from 1970, so the idea has been around a while. Liquid Nitrogen has been around even longer, so begs the question why this idea didn't fly 47 years ago. Still, an interesting concept.

I suppose the liquid nitrogen could be used in some kind of a turbine like a steam turbine as it boils off. Essentially using the same sort of process as a boiled water generator, but you will boil off all your liquid nitrogen and use up your fuel.

I don't think that keeping the liquid nitrogen cold is much of an issue. It "just" has to be kept under pressure which can't be a big deal as you often see liquid nitrogen containers on the streets of NYC. I think they have something to do with the steam pipes below the streets.

There used to be some talk of using superconductors as a type of battery. The idea was that you would create a ring and then send a current around it. Since there was no resistance it would keep going until needed. I'm pretty sure nothing ever came of it though and it's definitely not an energy source.

Liquids have a critical point after which they will not remain liquid anymore. In a water steam boiler this is a serious point to reach. Though with water the critical point is 705 F (374 C). The critical point with nitrogen is -232 F (-146.9 C). The flasks used to transport cryogenic gasses are essentially super thermoses which delay the stuff getting to the critical temperature, but it is boiling off constantly when you have it away from a refrigeration source. In labs that use liquid nitrogen, one of the lab procedures is when transporting liquid N2 in an elevator, nobody can be on the elevator with it because the flask is off gassing nitrogen at such a high rate there is a chance that the oxygen percentage on the elevator could end up too low to maintain consciousness. That's how much nitrogen gas is escaping from those flasks.

I always found the alternator concept too difficult to rig up physically. Now wind turbines on the roof however...

But seriously, if there are patents, what are the patent numbers?
Imagine having ZERO range anxiety!

This is your opportunity to influence the future direction of EV’s.

There is a technology in the final stages of development, that as part of its technology 'suite' utilizes superconductors, which requires liquid nitrogen to function.

The overall cost of the vehicles will be well below the cost of a current Model S, as the technology generates power on demand (up to 1MW) and as a result doesn’t require batteries or an inverter.

There are two ways to supply the required liquid nitrogen:

1. Recycle the liquid nitrogen (this will add $1,000 to the cost of the vehicle).

2. Fill up a dewar (a specialized container for storing liquid nitrogen) on a regular basis, at a cost estimated to be $10 per week ($520 per year), from the equivalent of a 'gas station'.

To have your say, on the future direction of EV’s, please complete a ONE QUESTION survey, based on the above, by clicking here: Liquid Nitrogen Options Survey

As I have been disappointed with the number in the number of survey responses and a number of postings would require me to disclose more about the technology than I want to AT THIS STAGE (were still in stealth mode - the ONLY mention that you will find of the technology on the net is this thread, the actual survey and results of patent searches) I have made a decision not to reply to any further posts.

To any doubters out there, all I can say is 'watch this space'.

OK, seeing this post now for the first time.

First off, I think I can see where the OP is going. I'm suspecting that, as with fuel cells, the energy math doesn't work out; HOWEVER, the convenience-factor potentially can.

Liquid N2 very conceivably can be used to keep today's technology of supercapacitors functioning "okay". If so, then they might be able to be arrayed such that they take the place of batteries. In other words, just a better battery.

Weeeeelllll.....as had been alluded to in a prior answer, that doesn't factor in the amount of energy needed to liquify the nitrogen.

Now, as far as the safety factor of the liquid N
2 sloshing around in its dewar flask....that's sort of a "meh". Overall, at first thought, it's on par with - probably safer - than rattling over roads with a 16 - 38 gallon tank of long chain hydrocarbons - you know: 3-ethyltoluene + butane + octane + a few alkanes and cycloalkanes and alkenes.....so much easier just to call it "gasoline".

It really is no biggie. Back in my grad school days, I purloined I don't know how many such dewars in order to put them to better uses than my NSF grant called for. I determined it made a
terrific ice cream - and I should have patented that, as now any number of others have purloined that discovery and are making a killing with it; I then either horrified or delighted my colleagues by hunting down the lab cockroaches and turning them into instant roachcicles....

So fooling around with liquid nitrogen is no issue.

As far as the rest of the project.........wake me when it's over. I'll neither say yes nor no, other than that I still think the thermodynamics is a beyotch.

I don't think that keeping the liquid nitrogen cold is much of an issue. It "just" has to be kept under pressure which can't be a big deal as you often see liquid nitrogen containers on the streets of NYC. I think they have something to do with the steam pipes below the streets.
Off topic... but... Some of the nitrogen tanks you occasionally see street side are for injecting nitrogen into communication cables. It isn't for the cold, it is for the source of dry air. They can slightly pressurize leaky wires and keep out moisture until the real problem is resolved.

• Informative
Reactions: bak_phy
Off topic... but... Some of the nitrogen tanks you occasionally see street side are for injecting nitrogen into communication cables. It isn't for the cold, it is for the source of dry air. They can slightly pressurize leaky wires and keep out moisture until the real problem is resolved.

For that purpose, you would probably want to use compressed nitrogen gas. No need to cool it at all, though the change in pressure releasing it would drop the temperature a little.

Now, as far as the safety factor of the liquid N2 sloshing around in its dewar flask....that's sort of a "meh". Overall, at first thought, it's on par with - probably safer - than rattling over roads with a 16 - 38 gallon tank of long chain hydrocarbons - you know: 3-ethyltoluene + butane + octane + a few alkanes and cycloalkanes and alkenes.....so much easier just to call it "gasoline".

It really is no biggie. Back in my grad school days, I purloined I don't know how many such dewars in order to put them to better uses than my NSF grant called for. I determined it made a
terrific ice cream - and I should have patented that, as now any number of others have purloined that discovery and are making a killing with it; I then either horrified or delighted my colleagues by hunting down the lab cockroaches and turning them into instant roachcicles....

So fooling around with liquid nitrogen is no issue.

Yes, gasoline leaking is more dangerous. People would get hurt handling it though. For all the FUD passed around about EVs, the "li-ion batteries are a fire hazard in cars" hasn't caught on much. In part because the end user never touches the batteries (unless they are a tinkerer like wk057). Users need to handle gasoline and they would need to handle liquid N2 in this scheme. People get hurt by gasoline all the time, but the world got used to that hazard before mass media so people are used to it. The news would be full of stories about idiots losing body parts from severe frostbite with N2.

The upside of N2 is that it is pollution free. Let it escape back into the atmosphere and no harm, no foul.

We used to handle liquid Nitrogen routinely in school and work.
So nonchalantly, I get queasy thinking about it today.

I went to a high school where we had to major in something. I majored in Electronics, but there was a Metallurgy program too. In college I ran into someone who had graduated from the Metallurgy program a year ahead of me. He said they did a number of lab experiments using x-ray spectroscopy and got somewhat cavalier. Then in the 4th year they were using a gamma ray spectrometer and in the middle of the lab, there was a power outage. They were used to the x-ray machine where the radiation source is off when the power is off, so they left the chamber with the gamma ray source open while they waited for the power to come back on.

He said their badges were all black and his doctor told him his lifetime cancer risk was dramatically higher than the general population.

In our labs were worked some with microwave wave guides and one of my lab partners was standing in front of the open end of the wave guide for several minutes with the power one until one of use noticed and shut off the power. It was aimed right at his crotch.

I don't know what happened to either of those guys, but I'm glad I wasn't exposed to either.

In college I also had a lab where we were working with currents and voltages that would easily kill you (high power electronics lab). I was hyper cautious.

We had liquid N2 a few times in Physics labs at school, but the prof always handled the stuff and we never got nearer than a few feet. But I did see what it did to objects frozen with it. A handball sounds just like glass when frozen and thrown against the wall.

Thanks!! I always wondered what it was for. I guess I thought it had to do with the steam system since NYC is the only place I'm seen that has it and NYC is the only place where I'm seen LN2 tanks in the street. Classic false correlation.

As I have been disappointed with the number in the number of survey responses and a number of postings would require me to disclose more about the technology than I want to AT THIS STAGE (were still in stealth mode - the ONLY mention that you will find of the technology on the net is this thread, the actual survey and results of patent searches)

I asked about the patents you said were granted:

the US Patent office didn't think so when they issued patents on the technology.

As those are already public documents, there's no additional disclosure.