Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A nice surprise (free Ionity leccy)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ionity's prices are crazy! Clearly a strategic move, and difficult to justify given the amount of public money they've received.

Emotionally I totally agree, but commercially is this really the case?
(Cost of charger, cost of installation, cost of energy, cost of maintenance) less any subsidy divided by number of users.

I suspect that equation looks pretty horrible for a good few years.

No doubt though that when the cost for electricity per mile driven is higher than fossil fuel the case for EVs is weakened
(that said why people get so het up about fuel cost when depreciation is vastly higher and is the bulk of the cost of ownership is always mystifying)

Let us know your stats (arrival SoC, kW rate they gave you, etc). A few unhappy reviews on Plugshare

Hi, arrived with 67% SoC, charging at 48kW, charging up to 96% (unusually high, but very long day) - currently at 93% charge rate since 90% has been 27-30kWh.

Edit, having said that the stats on screen show rate average of 25kWh?

Last edited:
Update, returned to the ionity chargers on my way back from London - charger no.2 wasn't working, moved to no.6 and speed started at 178kWh and slowly reduced to average of 47kWh over the charge duration. Bay no.4 was used on my previous visit.

Still free, the Ionity app shows.
Stalls 1,2,5 are dodgy, stall 4 anecdotally gives faster charge

The 4 Ionity chargers at Cambridge services on A14 are also live now. Ionity were testing Tesla Model 3 there as they know these new ABB chargers are giving very low charge rates for them. Theoretical max 190kW but experience has been 20-60kW

That’s the same as petrol at MSA. Usually more expensive so just top up until you get to a local garage.

although, it’s not normally >4 times the price ;)

I signed up for Maingau yesterday, see how that works out.
Last I heard this wasn’t available in the U.K.? (Sorry if that has been answered, I’m working my way through the thread)
Edit: which app? 2FAE38C8-CABE-4C55-866D-439ECFAB2ECA.png

Last edited: