Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus IOG, Zappi and Eco+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick sense check regarding IOG, Zappi and the ECO+ setting please. I suspect I know the answer but handy to have it confirmed please.

Currently Octopus controls my car, not my charger. Today I switched to ECO+ to try to manage some solar clipping and it didn't work. Pretty sure that I'd need to re-integrate the charger and not the car with Octopus to allow this? If I recall the solar charging ECO+ didn't play nicely with IOG until fairly recently, but now does?

I wouldn't normally charge from solar (export better) but it will be handy periodically to manage clipping if I've mistimed the house battery charging.

Thanks for confirming.

Can you not just plug in as normal and then select bump charge on the octopus app? It would then work as it used to?
Just tried that but no joy. I suspect IOG bump charging doesn't work with the ECO+ setting but happy to be shown otherwise. IOG controlling the car hasn't missed a beat so I'm reluctant to switch to it controlling the Zappi unless there's no option. Any other workarounds?

You just need to temporarily turn off your smart-charging in the Octopus App, go to the menu (top left head/face icon), select Devices, your Intelligent device, then scroll down and move the smart charging slider left. When you plug in, even on Eco+, IO detects the connection and tries to create a charge plan. If you disable it, then the Zappi will charge the car as and when you have enough surplus. Its easy to re-enable, either using the slider again, or if you go to Devices in the app where you'd normally see your charging plan, it will ask you if you want to reactivate smart charging.

Reactions: spon88
You just need to temporarily turn off your smart-charging in the Octopus App, go to the menu (top left head/face icon), select Devices, your Intelligent device, then scroll down and move the smart charging slider left. When you plug in, even on Eco+, IO detects the connection and tries to create a charge plan. If you disable it, then the Zappi will charge the car as and when you have enough surplus. Its easy to re-enable, either using the slider again, or if you go to Devices in the app where you'd normally see your charging plan, it will ask you if you want to reactivate smart charging.
Ah, didn't think about that, many thanks. I'll give it a whirl later in the week when it looks like there's potential for some clipping again. Certainly makes sense that it should work, cheers!

Reactions: Burley