Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A piller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my MXL and was impressed. A lot better than my 22 MYP which had a long list of issues. One thing I don't like is the passenger side. A pillar where it meets the fender is in almost .25 inch. Should I have them fix that?
I also have a question about the instrument display has a yellow light symbol facing the opposite way of the other lights symbols. I looked in the manual and did not see what it was. Could someone tell me please.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20231214_150827[1].jpg
    20231214_150827[1].jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 26
Could you post a pic of the .25 inches? I had what I thought a minor trim issue but no A-pillar against fender but the upper front door trim against the FWD upper trim - the glossy trim was sticking about by about 0.25 inch so did a SC appointment in 1st 72 hours after delivery (they addressed other cosmetic issues too all relatively minor).

Turns out they did nothing about my trim issue, but messed with my passenger side FW door where I also noted slight mislaignment and left it with misaligned B pillar leading edge glass sticking out against front door glass and even managed to scratch my rear quarter window trim (by rubbing rear FWD glass against it as I can clearly see on the trailing edge of FWD glass). They also ignored my repeated messages about the issue so I am now going in again and will try to get to finally meet the elusive SA who's been unresponsive.

Moral of the story (as I found out by many posts here) - do not let a SC do body work on your X. If it bothers you much take it to a certified and highly rated body shop. A minor issue could become multiple SC visits and drain your joy from the newly acquired vehicle.

Upvote 0
Also it must be a Tesla only thing to have so many threads on alignment. Must be a factory mandate where cosmetic QC is kept at close to 0 to pump highest amount of vehicles with the twisted math that only a small % of owners will waste time to deal with them. I guess it works well for their revenue so until punished they will keep doing it. But never had issues with 2 previous Teslas, only 1 SC visit in 2+ years. So got lulled into thinking all these threads are just negative selection bias.

Upvote 0
Mine looks very similar - just took picture. Same color so you can compare. I wouldn't bother bring it to SC. They will chalk it up to spec and chances are they will dirty your car or ding it, so not worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0
Mine looks very similar - just took picture. Same color so you can compare. I wouldn't bother bring it to SC. They will chalk it up to spec and chances are they will dirty your car or ding it, so not worth it.
Really the same, .25” recess must be in spec. You're right, my last car 22 MYP had paint issues. And they halfheartedly tried to fix them (25% maybe) and left compound everywhere even inside the car for me to clean off. I fix it myself with a perfect outcome.
Thanks

Upvote 0
I never had issues with both model 3 and model Y except a rear quarter window trim needing reinstall on the Y (and it was the only imperfection). The model X is the worst car in fitment of all, if one panel is slightly misplaced, aligning everything else perfectly seems impossible. I believe a good chunk of the cost comes from this FWD production and installation process. Still the car is gorgeous and better than the Y in almost every aspect but trim fitment, lack of stalks and horn placement. Enjoy your vehicle. The SC will ruin your mood.

Upvote 0
Tesla really has a hard time with this A-pilar to hood/fender alignment for whatever reasons. I've seen it on MYs too. And they may get it perfect on 1 side, but the other side is slightly off. I'd say as long as it's not egregious, better to not have them mess with it.

Upvote 0