Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Sad Model X Delivery Cautionary Tale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded in a 2017 Model X for a 2020 Model X on Monday 12/16.
After waiting two hours for the car I was told it would be another hour for them to detail the car.
I was taking the car directly to have it detailed and coated, so I said that was unnecessary.
I did a cursory look at the car since I was in a hurry and my previous car had been flawless.
I drove it 12 miles in the twilight and darkness and turned it over to the detailer.
They call the next am saying there was significant windshield and hood damage.
They are retrieving security camera footage to rule out any issues at their end.
I took the car back to the dealership and was told that there was nothing they could do for me.
The total damage is about $5,000.
What I wish I had done:
Assume nothing — verify everything

Do not expect a luxury car buying/delivery experience

Schedule the pickup early in the day

Examine the car in very good lighting — daylight outside preferred

Take pictures of any defects

Get written assurance that any defect will be resolved

Enjoy your purchase
IMG_6472.jpg IMG_6473.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
Is the first picture a dent/crease in the hood?

And the second picture is scratches in the glass?

Do you think they would have found those issues and properly dealt with them had they detailed the car? Not saying it was your fault at all since you were made to wait so long, Really sorry you have to deal with this....

Any other recommendations on recent issues to look for in the X. I'm taking delivery sometime over the next 10 days.

I traded in a 2017 Model X for a 2020 Model X on Monday 12/16.
After waiting two hours for the car I was told it would be another hour for them to detail the car.
I was taking the car directly to have it detailed and coated, so I said that was unnecessary.
I did a cursory look at the car since I was in a hurry and my previous car had been flawless.
I drove it 12 miles in the twilight and darkness and turned it over to the detailer.
They call the next am saying there was significant windshield and hood damage.
They are retrieving security camera footage to rule out any issues at their end.
I took the car back to the dealership and was told that there was nothing they could do for me.
The total damage is about $5,000.
What I wish I had done:
Assume nothing — verify everything

Do not expect a luxury car buying/delivery experience

Schedule the pickup early in the day

Examine the car in very good lighting — daylight outside preferred

Take pictures of any defects

Get written assurance that any defect will be resolved

Enjoy your purchase
View attachment 490614 View attachment 490618

If you really don't want to deal with it and want them (Tesla) to resolve it - return it... Yes, you will probably lose out on your trade-in, and be restricted from the same trim for 12 months (maybe, haven't heard of it being enforced)? Or, order a second Model X ASAP and return the first one.

But, yes, with every single vehicle transaction, once you get off the lot (or, in the case of mobile delivery, the rep leaves) it's no longer their responsibility, other than warranty work. You might find someone that cares at a Tesla center, but, usually, not. There was probably a good reason they were spending more time "detailing" it - they would have probably come back to you to tell you that there were some "issues" and that you wouldn't be walking away with the vehicle today... It's happened to other forum members.

I bought a new inventory and picked it up yesterday. We looked over the car and I noticed 1 ding and paint chip they documented it. I went back a couple hours later because they forgot my sun shade and I noticed another dent. They documented it and didn’t ask any questions any other questions. I asked them about the 7 day return policy and they came back and said to take it to service center and they will take care of it.

I got a text today from service center and they scheduled my car to be fixed at a local body shop. Tesla will cover all the charges. I will let you know how it goes.

I would also caution anyone reading this thread not to believe Tesla when they say, "it's a minor issue that the SC will fix" for you! You will end up without a car for months with multiple visits to the SC (as has happened to me) AND still not get the issues fixed properly.

Best thing to do will be to return it ASAP if you are still within that window.

If you really don't want to deal with it and want them (Tesla) to resolve it - return it... Yes, you will probably lose out on your trade-in, and be restricted from the same trim for 12 months (maybe, haven't heard of it being enforced)? Or, order a second Model X ASAP and return the first one.

If they do take it back they would probably bill for the damage, so if he has to pay either way he might as well keep the vehicle?

Actually I just looked at the return policy and it looks like his vehicle wouldn't qualify for it:

Is in new condition, without damage or abnormal wear and tear; and

The $64,000 question (in this case the $5,000 question) is where did the damage occur. I've asked for security camera footage from the detailer, and will post the results when & if I get them. My uninformed opinion is that the damage occurred in transit, but I'm the one who should have paid enough attention not to be in this situation. The damage is to the front hood (5 dents) and from windshield (3 inches of light to moderate scratches)