Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sneaky suspicion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Tesla Model S about a month back and at that time, the map didn't recognize my home in a new subdivision. There were no street names (or even near by streets). Yesterday, the locality appeared with street names (even though the navigation from/to doesn't work). Does Tesla update navigation (and other computer controlled) features in a stealth mode? I know it keeps track of where I go!
I would like to suggest that it uses face recognition to start the car. You can add drivers. It will prevent thieves as no thief would like to have his face photographed or recognized!

I bought my Tesla Model S about a month back and at that time, the map didn't recognize my home in a new subdivision. There were no street names (or even near by streets). Yesterday, the locality appeared with street names (even though the navigation from/to doesn't work). Does Tesla update navigation (and other computer controlled) features in a stealth mode? I know it keeps track of where I go!
I would like to suggest that it uses face recognition to start the car. You can add drivers. It will prevent thieves as no thief would like to have his face photographed or recognized!

There are two parts to the navigation system. The big screen shows a version of google maps, and is downloaded fresh as you use it. However the actual navigation (directions, and the nav display on the instrument cluster) is separate and seems to be part of the firmware updates; even then I don't know whether you get a new database with every update, or less frequently.

Google maps is definitely more up-to-date than the built-in navigation. Last month I was going to someone's house in a new subdivision. Google maps knew where it was and showed the street, but the navigation led me to a nearby street at a completely different address. It took me a minute to realize what had happened; then I just looked at the Google map and drove to the correct street.

The nav system is provided by Navigon. Not sure how frequently they update their maps though. If you got the Tech package, you get free updates for quite a few years (7?).

There's a few threads about it on these forums though.

Had anyone see. How those updates happen yet? Cars have been on the road for more than a year at this point. Is it seamless?

Had anyone see. How those updates happen yet? Cars have been on the road for more than a year at this point. Is it seamless?
My handheld Garmin (who owns Navigon) updates are ~2GB for North America so unless they figured out a way to do delta updates over the air this will be an annual service download process. I will ask when our car goes in for first annual in November.

My handheld Garmin (who owns Navigon) updates are ~2GB for North America so unless they figured out a way to do delta updates over the air this will be an annual service download process. I will ask when our car goes in for first annual in November.
My sixth sense tells me that 5.0 will be pushed before most vehicles reach that 1yr mark. Note that 5.0 includes wifi support.

Does anyone know about plans to update the Garmin maps? Currently, due to newer construction, the navigation system tries to get me to do u-turns because Garmin doesn't know the roads even though the Google maps part shows the roads.

The navigation can sometimes be a bit dumb. Last weekend I asked for an industrial building in Ogdensburg NY. The street has been there for many years. Yet the navigation directed me to a mental hospital about a mile away. Trying to tell me something??? Crazy for listening to GPS directions maybe?

Google Maps knew exactly where it was, but not navigation.