Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A spare for Road trips? - Running 21s, Staggered...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I am in the process of figuring out the best solution. I will start with my situation.

Tesla MS with 21 Turbines Staggered.

My wife and I plan to do a few road trips this summer, and well, I know under the 4yr warranty is roadside assistance for the "Wheel Loaner" program. However, the thought of waiting somewhere for hours is not the best.

If I wanted to obtain a spare to throw in the back of the car, this is where I get confused. Would love to insight and thoughts.
  1. Buy a spare 21" wheel and tire - but do I get the 8.5 or the 9, or is based on the tire? Should I get a 245 or a 265?
  2. Should I just purchase a 19" spare since its cheaper - then again, what size tire?

These situations - rolling diameters are different.
245/35R21 = 27.8 - 265/35R21 = 28.3

I assume it would be risky to run two different rolling diameters on the the front or rear (For Eg, Getting a spare 265 and running on front, or the 245 on the rear)

Again, any insight would be appreciated and sorry for the noobiness.

When Tesla roadside assistance changes out a wheel and tire it’s always a 19” wheel if that helps. I have 21s on my S and have had 19” replacement on front drivers side twice now and I didn’t even notice the difference really.

Reactions: Pismo
Same boat as you with staggards for several years. I carry a 145/80-19 donut spare that comes in at 28.00.
If my rear 265 goes flat, I will lower the non-flat 265 approx 10 psi to come very close to my donut spare revs/mi. It appears that there are a few solutions to your spare staggard question.

Good luck.

Same boat as you with staggards for several years. I carry a 145/80-19 donut spare that comes in at 28.00.
If my rear 265 goes flat, I will lower the non-flat 265 approx 10 psi to come very close to my donut spare revs/mi. It appears that there are a few solutions to your spare staggard question.

Good luck.
Can that donut take the weight of the car?
It looks like best option may to carry a 19" or 21" OEM wheel in the trunk as a spare. Least will get you the mileage you need to get it replaced.
Seems the open differential is not what I had expected, so it would be safe to go down that way.

I had Staggered 21" wheels on the drivers side and standard 19" loaners on the passenger after a nasty pot hole incident. My local SC set me up with this arrangement and said it wouldn't be an issue. I drove maybe 40 miles in this setup.

Sorry that I don’t remember all of the details of the various donut spare packages I put together back in '13 which used both 18 and 19” diameter wheels that deployed a steel Bimmer wheel, an alum Bimmer wheel, and a Bently aluminum wheel. I then secured the tires from other cars and the tire rack. I don’t know how far back this forum allows you to search, but I am certain that I posted some pics and details a long while ago. I also put together 2 donut packages for my M3 over a year ago. I am just too old school to travel without a spare, however, I fully understand folks who prefer to rely on roadside assistance and tire repair kits with compressors.

C0417D6A-E9B0-4711-9349-E2ABE3730023.jpeg

Dug out this very old pic of 3 of 5 that I experimented with 6 years ago. , I am currently carrying the tan alum Bimmer wheel in the trunk with the afore mentioned contential donut spare, however, I don’t recommend that wheel since it requires a 5mm spacer to clear the rear caliber. Lol, i liked the red Bentley wheel so much that I machined the appropriate 120mm BC to fit her in case of emergency.

Tesla and I both recommend that you not use a donut spare.

Open differential is a though the thing, that's what tesla uses , different size is not a problem.
Actually it is, having one tire a different diameter has many problems. Starting with traction control, the car thinks one wheel is slipping and applies the brake, might reduce power as well. If that is not too much of a problem the differential overheats, wheels turning the same speed have less turbulence in the differential fluid. Lastly is one I am unsure of, how the ABS would react.