Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abandoned cars on 401 curb and Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Drone Flyer

Feb 22, 2016
Canada
I was on 401 yesterday in Autopilot at 110 km/hr in left lane passing slower cars when all of a sudden I came across a parked car on shoulder on left and as I passed him, Autopilot slowed rapidly to 80 km/hr and stayed that way for at least about 10 seconds after I passed him before returning to 110 km/h.
I find this very dangerous as cars behind would probably wonder what was happening.
I'm wondering if it reads the licence plate as a speed sign.
They've got to fix this.
Anyone else experienced this?

Are you saying that AP did not slow your car until the parked vehicle as adjacent to you? I suspect it started to slow before reaching the vehicle.

If the parked car was on the left shoulder of the highway it seems prudent for AP to slow down while passing it. The radar would detect the parked vehicle as being stationary. How much to slow down is of course a subjective decision. It sounds like AP slowed down more than you felt was appropriate. But I don't fault AP for making the decision to slow down.

My understanding is this was one of two "features" they added with the latest firmware update to an AP1 car without reporting either one in the release notes. They did report the extra bands in the equalizer. Apparently that was more important than mentioning adding a very dangerous feature.

It's also my understanding that fairly shortly after release a bunch of people encountered similar issues like yours, and as a result Tesla is going to pull/rework it.

But, it's still important that you communicate the Tesla what happened. That way it's an additional case of it causing more harm than good.

The only thing I've reported to Tesla is being really irritated at it being hidden from us. I haven't encountered the problem because I've largely stopped using AP because of all this ridiculousness. I don't need/want a car that will suddenly slow down for no reason. If I feel like I need to slow down I'll do so myself.