Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone notice a degradation in Autopilot performance (after 2022.40.4.10)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, I drove from Ottawa to Montreal (shortly after upgrading to 2022.40.4.1). I have Enhanced Autopilot and even though I've enjoyed using it so much in the past, it was so wonky and ill-behaved for this trip.

I have taken this trip t Montreal multiple times and although I had some AP disengagements in the past, for the most part, it has been a pleasure to use Autopilot. In fact, just a couple of weeks prior, I noted that I made it over 200km without a disengagement. Plus, I am such an advocate to everyone I speak to and actually boasted about how good it had become.

Now, comes this recent trip! OMG what a disaster and I don't know where to start. So much so, that I thought I'd write a post about it (which is not my typical thing to do). Here is a list of the crazy behaviors I experienced:

One instance, it literally merged from the passing lane to the middle lane, then to the right lane, then it took an exit, but the navigation was saying to stay on the highway. There were no other cars and I was curious about what it was doing (and why), so I let it go, watching in disbelief. Navigation was saying "keep straight" and it turned - LOL. The car disabled the AP as expected in the off-ramp, but this was only about 20km into our 200+km trip. It didn't perform any dangerous actions, just took the wrong exit. I got back on the highway and restarted navigation - so strange.

Another time, it tried to turn left from the HOV lane into the left shoulder of the highway. I disengage and turn the steering wheel to correct it. I assumed the flicker was to exit the HOV (i.e. turning right), so I didn't look at the turn signal direction when the car started, instead, the car thought it could drive from the HOV lane into the left shoulder (off the highway) at over 100kmh. This one could have ended really badly.

Finally, dozens of times ( I couldn't count how many), the car would indicate a lane change and turn on the turn signal, then just as it would start to change lanes, it would abort abruptly and jerk back into the original lane. The first time it did this, I assumed there was a speeding car that was coming up the left lane and it did it as a safety maneuver, but not the case - there was no other car behind us. Sometimes this happened when the car was trying to pass, but also with no other vehicle ahead or behind. This was so annoying and so frequent, it was the main reason I disabled AP for the last 100km of the return trip. I had totally lost my trust at this point.

There were some other very sketchy maneuvers that defied logic that just scared the crap out of me. Also, there were many typical AP annoyances like it waiting behind a slow car for so long, and only to start passing when anther car was about to pass me (because I was going so slow), a few speed limit inaccuracies, etc - All of which I used to forgive, but combined with the other dangerous things it just was too much and was aggravating me.

I am such a Tesla lover and I don't ever complain about my car, but after several thousand kms of highway driving using AP, this trip was exceptionally bad. Plus it is upsetting if it degraded instead of getting better.

I don't know if it was 2022.40.4.1 that caused it, but I had updated not long before. After I got to Montreal, I rebooted the car, just in case, but made no difference and behaved equally erratic for the drive home.

Has anyone noticed a degradation like this recently?

I have a 2022 MYLR with EAP.

Thanks and sorry for the ran.

Recently, I drove from Ottawa to Montreal (shortly after upgrading to 2022.40.4.1). I have Enhanced Autopilot and even though I've enjoyed using it so much in the past, it was so wonky and ill-behaved for this trip.

I have taken this trip t Montreal multiple times and although I had some AP disengagements in the past, for the most part, it has been a pleasure to use Autopilot. In fact, just a couple of weeks prior, I noted that I made it over 200km without a disengagement. Plus, I am such an advocate to everyone I speak to and actually boasted about how good it had become.

Now, comes this recent trip! OMG what a disaster and I don't know where to start. So much so, that I thought I'd write a post about it (which is not my typical thing to do). Here is a list of the crazy behaviors I experienced:

One instance, it literally merged from the passing lane to the middle lane, then to the right lane, then it took an exit, but the navigation was saying to stay on the highway. There were no other cars and I was curious about what it was doing (and why), so I let it go, watching in disbelief. Navigation was saying "keep straight" and it turned - LOL. The car disabled the AP as expected in the off-ramp, but this was only about 20km into our 200+km trip. It didn't perform any dangerous actions, just took the wrong exit. I got back on the highway and restarted navigation - so strange.

Another time, it tried to turn left from the HOV lane into the left shoulder of the highway. I disengage and turn the steering wheel to correct it. I assumed the flicker was to exit the HOV (i.e. turning right), so I didn't look at the turn signal direction when the car started, instead, the car thought it could drive from the HOV lane into the left shoulder (off the highway) at over 100kmh. This one could have ended really badly.

Finally, dozens of times ( I couldn't count how many), the car would indicate a lane change and turn on the turn signal, then just as it would start to change lanes, it would abort abruptly and jerk back into the original lane. The first time it did this, I assumed there was a speeding car that was coming up the left lane and it did it as a safety maneuver, but not the case - there was no other car behind us. Sometimes this happened when the car was trying to pass, but also with no other vehicle ahead or behind. This was so annoying and so frequent, it was the main reason I disabled AP for the last 100km of the return trip. I had totally lost my trust at this point.

There were some other very sketchy maneuvers that defied logic that just scared the crap out of me. Also, there were many typical AP annoyances like it waiting behind a slow car for so long, and only to start passing when anther car was about to pass me (because I was going so slow), a few speed limit inaccuracies, etc - All of which I used to forgive, but combined with the other dangerous things it just was too much and was aggravating me.

I am such a Tesla lover and I don't ever complain about my car, but after several thousand kms of highway driving using AP, this trip was exceptionally bad. Plus it is upsetting if it degraded instead of getting better.

I don't know if it was 2022.40.4.1 that caused it, but I had updated not long before. After I got to Montreal, I rebooted the car, just in case, but made no difference and behaved equally erratic for the drive home.

Has anyone noticed a degradation like this recently?

I have a 2022 MYLR with EAP.

Thanks and sorry for the ran.
Ditto. I have the most recent version of FsD in my 2023 Model X. Something has definitely gone amuck over the past cpl weeks. What s up??