Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to control of Regen...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted the following on another thread about guessing range of new S...

I just hope to get the ability to shut off regen on my '21 S.

Was surprised to get a couple disagrees. Just wondering why someone wouldn't want the ability to control on/off.
My son says he gets nauseous on long drives because of it. We had older models and I would turn it off when he was in the back. Trying to lessen the effect of the pulling back but he prefers us taking my truck so he doesn't feel sick.

I think regen is an important feature of EVs and is something should should be maximized. But...

What I wish for is consistency between control inputs and the resulting effect. On Teslas, easing up on the accelerator gives different results depending on multiple factors beyond the driver's control. Sometimes the difference is significant. And because of that, you have to depress the brake more or less or not at all depending on the situation. In my opinion, that's not desirable and Tesla should be working to resolve that. If they could, nobody would care about regen settings.

Reactions: Jughead135
I think the effect it causes to my son isi. The initial pull back. In my previous S when I drove without the revenue no issues at all. Simple fix is give control to the driver. My belief is it has to do with it. Sing able to claim more range “legally”. If so it control probably never be given back, and that’s too bad. My opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: ladysbff
I cannot be against an option, honestly, to give everyone a choice.

But then, honest again: learn how to use you foot and master true one pedal driving, and you'll never go back. If regen makes you passengers feel sick, there's really something off with how much you've mastered the car, yet, or not.
Not to be offensive. But I cannot get in trouble in snow due to regen, and I manage not to make passengers feel sick.

You are not susceptible to the laws of physics? Tell us more...
Never claimed that.

As @f205v mentioned, this might be due to my old car that regens differently, but I really tried to get the car out of control via regen. Especially so motivated by an ongoing "fight thread" in the german Tesla forum where users pretend it's a severe problem.

To make this clear: It certainly can be you get in troubles with a Model 3, I have not enough time / practice in that to rely on, making claims. If you lift your foot completely, you:
- don't get in trouble with my old fart 2015 85D
- might get in trouble with a 2021 M3

My point, indeed, was a different one:
- I never (!) - no, NEVER !!! - let go off the pedal completely. 1)
- I went "all in" to one pedal driving when changing to Tesla 2015. My muscle memory, my foot, finds the neutral position automatically, in every situation. Whenever I want the car to roll, it rolls. So, no problem in snow due to regen (combined with the fact that the old one isn't as agressive, anyway)
- Your experiance might be different. This is especially understandable if people got to drive other cars, change in between, and have habit of letting go off the pedal. That's perfect. I've got no problem if someone is in that group. I just claimed I'm not myself, which is a different statement.
- It was your point that you can make you passengers feel sick. Well, no, not 'can' (which I might be able to do as well), but 'do' - on a regular basis, it seems. Then I wrote that something with your driving must be wrong, and I stand my point. Unless your passengers are suffering from car sickness in general and feel ill in other cars too, it's your driving style.
-> I can mimic about every other car's breaking / deceleration feel for the passengers with one pedal driving. Not because I am a naturally gifted sort of a kind, but because I learned. Accepted the challenge.

1) before someone asks: of course I let go if I need to stomp on the brake. That's a different situation, of course, in which the time with no pedal pressed is very very short anyway.

Perhaps the roads of my area are very different than Switzerland. Almost every corner there is a stop sign or traffic light. CONSTANT start and stop, very few chances to let loose. While on the highway really no issues.
I don't understand this topic change - we got stop signs an lights, all over, sure. How are these against the physics? ;)

I need the brake pedal to come to a full stop (no regen till stop in old Model S). But that doesn't make people feel sick either... ? :confused:

Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't understand the physics you are referring to. These cars are very different from traditional cars. My son is on his phone constantly which doesn't help while a backseat passenger. However in my truck he has no issues while a backseat passenger. I am primarily in Brooklyn and the roads are a few hundred feet long and constant stopping whether I am the only car on the street, (rarely) or the second or third. Which would require more stopping.
Not looking for a confrontation with you, but it seems you are taking it kinda personal that someone would rather have more control over the vehicle.

Reactions: ladysbff
For those who have made passengers sick - have you tried Chill mode?

Also - I don't see it mentioned but at least in my car I can turn regen to "Low".

I'm also inclined to agree with 46&2 in that I can modulate the accelerator a little to mitigate the effects of regen as needed - such as if I feel I need to "coast" a little longer before allowing full regen to kick in. It seems to come naturally after driving the car a while.

Reactions: pilotSteve
taking it kinda personal that someone would rather have more control over the vehicle.
That's wrong. I stated differently above, I am not against giving more options to the driver, no way.

But I am seriously not understanding why your passengers feel sick in a car with regen, but not in a conventional car. May you explain?

(So far, I can only imagine this happens because you let go off the pedal completely. Which is indeed not the way the car is intended to use. If that's how you want to drive it, you'll have to look somewhere else. There are electric cars that work like that, but not at Tesla's, as of now. I don't want to be offensive, but you seem to take it personal. Oh, and my statement doesn't become wrong by hitting the minus-thumb-down icon ;) )

On my Model3, I drive with Regen set to Low. The coasting when letting off the brake, even slightly, is more comfortable for my wife and especially for older passengers. I'm not concerned about maximizing range or saving brake pads.
When I'm driving twisty mountain roads then I switch to the max Regen, and this is an awesome way to drive. Yes I feel I have mastered it fairly well since 2018, but I still strongly prefer Regen Low on flat roads, especially when there are passengers in the car.
If Regen Low is gone on new cars, then when upgrading I might look for a used car that still has the Regen Low feature.

Reactions: 1windy
I don't understand the physics you are referring to. These cars are very different from traditional cars. My son is on his phone constantly which doesn't help while a backseat passenger. However in my truck he has no issues while a backseat passenger. I am primarily in Brooklyn and the roads are a few hundred feet long and constant stopping whether I am the only car on the street, (rarely) or the second or third. Which would require more stopping.
Not looking for a confrontation with you, but it seems you are taking it kinda personal that someone would rather have more control over the vehicle.
on the phone is like reading a book or magazine....a lot of people feel sick while doing this.....I di it in my car once and no issues.....got in a friends car and felt sick.....I think the braking technique is essential for using the Regen correctly....as someone else has said, practice is the best way to get the feel of it......I live in SoCal....Neighborhood id really full of stop signs and stops.....it is all about the way you start of.....if you start off kind of fast, you will have issues with Regen, especially when there are signs every couple of blocks.....good luck and practice

Reactions: f205v
I may try chill mode for local driving. Worth a shot.
And by the way I didn't rate your post. Even though I somewhat disagree with your stance. I don't seem the harm in my Tesla having a way to shut off regeneration. For years it was available with no complaints or desires to make it mandatory to my my knowledge. The vehicle gives many choices to customize a personal driving experience. It makes no sense to me to force me to use it. Again "I" believe it is for increase range specs.

For those who have made passengers sick - have you tried Chill mode?

Also - I don't see it mentioned but at least in my car I can turn regen to "Low".

I'm also inclined to agree with 46&2 in that I can modulate the accelerator a little to mitigate the effects of regen as needed - such as if I feel I need to "coast" a little longer before allowing full regen to kick in. It seems to come naturally after driving the car a while.

yes, chill helps. Also supposedly downgrading from a performance to a non performance vehicle. But it would be nice to have the option to tune it - I’d like it to default to heavy regen when only one driver is in the vehicle - when multiple passengers it could be more toned down.

I may try chill mode for local driving. Worth a shot.
And by the way I didn't rate your post. Even though I somewhat disagree with your stance. I don't seem the harm in my Tesla having a way to shut off regeneration. For years it was available with no complaints or desires to make it mandatory to my my knowledge. The vehicle gives many choices to customize a personal driving experience. It makes no sense to me to force me to use it. Again "I" believe it is for increase range specs.

Chill helped my wife with the same problem.

I'll share this one more thing. A while back there was a software update that added the ability to change the wheel size and style in the settings. So excited to tell my car that I had 19 inch wheels instead of 21 that I did the change while heading out to work. Not realizing that the car needed to be parked to implement the change correctly. The end result is I lost (momentarily) a lot of features including ABS, traction control, AP, and also regen (and I'm sure other features I don't recall at the moment). I have to say - I don't think many realize how much regen helps in stopping these cars. The car felt like it would coast forever. It was an odd drive to work and I honestly didn't like the lack of regen one bit. That experience makes me think that regen works in conjunction with ABS to ensure you don't lock up the wheels in low grip situations (I have not tested - just speculating).

Just in case someone wants to do this, a full 2 minute turning the car off did correct the issue and brought all the safety features back. I suspect a reset and sleep would bring it back too.