Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to turn off passenger vent for refresh Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drove a new Model S today.

One of my wife's biggest complaints in my '23 Model 3... no ability to turn off the vents for the front seat passenger. Apparently no amount of 'vent redirection' is satisfactory for her.

I tried this in the new Model S by pressing/holding the air stream animation, but nothing seemed to change.

I went back inside the Tesla showroom where they had a '24 Model 3 Performance. This model was able to turn off the passenger vents with a long press on the air stream animation.

Was I doing something wrong on the Model S, or is this still not a feature?

In the previous model, directing the vent all the way toward the door closed it. It may all be electronic now?
If you do that, does the animation actually show 'off'?

In the new Model 3, pressing/holding brings up a text indicator "Hold to stop air" or something. Press the text again, and the vents turn back on.

Also, if anyone wouldn't mind testing this... you'd have to be sitting in the passenger seat while attempting. I don't think the vent actually comes on for the passenger if no one is in that seat.

I was fairly sure the 2021-2024 S/X does not have a way to turn off one side or the other. I confirmed there is no off-vent option on my 2022 S a few minutes ago. Interesting that the new Highland Model 3 offers that feature. Perhaps it will be added to future S/X, but I doubt it can be done in software alone.

The best that can be done is to direct the air up and to the side window. There is also a Low fan option that may help too.

I was fairly sure the 2021-2024 S/X does not have a way to turn off one side or the other. I confirmed there is no off-vent option on my 2022 S a few minutes ago. Interesting that the new Highland Model 3 offers that feature. Perhaps it will be added to future S/X, but I doubt it can be done in software alone.

The best that can be done is to direct the air up and to the side window. There is also a Low fan option that may help too.
At least the animation shows no air when there's no one sitting in the seat. I haven't verified to see if there's truly no airflow, but if that's the case, seems like something that should be implementable.

Thanks for checking on your car. Disappointing!
Might try this, although this is from M3 not MS:
Front air vents with blue arrows coming out
To turn the front passenger vent off while the climate control system is on, touch the front passenger air wave on the touchscreen and follow the instructions.
Those are the instructions for the 'highland' 2024 Model 3, which does have the ability to turn off the vents - I confirmed on a real car in my OP. Doesn't work like that on my 2023 Model 3, nor apparently the new S.
At least the animation shows no air when there's no one sitting in the seat. I haven't verified to see if there's truly no airflow, but if that's the case, seems like something that should be implementable.
Agreed, but since it took the redesigned Model 3 with its 'next gen HVAC' or whatever, to implement - I'm not hopeful we'll see it as an update.