Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No .... see Engadget.com. "Need a few more breadcrumbs to follow until Elon Musk "unveils the D" (and something else) tomorrow? During an interview tonight at Vanity Fair's New Establishment Summit, Tesla's CEO told Walter Isaacson a few juicy tidbits about his news, without really revealing anything -- other than what we've already seen. According to Musk "One of the things is already there, and people just don't realize it." Also, some of the internet's guesses (dual engine? autonomous driving? AWD?) are apparently on track, as he said people are "directionally correct," but that they don't "appreciate the magnitude." You can watch a clip of of the interview embedded after the break and leave your own theories in the comments, we'll be reporting live from the unveiling in LA tomorrow night to find out the truth."

My comments are based on "the magnitude" and the fact that Tesla will eventually build a under 3 sec super car. This could be the D.

Last edited:
All he said was they weren't going to talk about the 3 or X... They could show them and let them speak for themselves? :)

Why would they show something like this and not talk about it?

I'm thankful to Elon's statement for saving me a trip to see the Model X Beta on 10/8 (like many/most of us thought we would). I'm hoping it's revealed at the factory in my hometown over a 3-day weekend (with test rides on the test track this time) like the Model S was... How about Nov. 14th-16th?

Hope all of you that are going enjoy the party! Model S P85D will be awesome with all the sensors and [semi-]"autopilot". I'll follow Engadget's coverage...

Elon has been talking about Autopilot in the last several months many times. He said aswell, all it needs is a CAMERA, SOME SENSORS and A RADAR (!!!). He said all cars next year will be capable of Autopilot. Since September 19th, they started integrating this Hardware into the new production cars. So, Blindspot and ACC is for sure coming since people already got the ACC Stalks in new cars too.

Check the recent Interview with Walter Isaacson on Google:

Elon Says: "One of the things is already there, and people just don't realize it."

We all are not taking the autopilot thingy too serious and while there weren't that many new features in the Software 6.0, it could explain what they have been really focusing on. Isn't it quite obvious to you guys, that they will unveil Autopilot (at least for highway)??? That's probably the "something else" and D for Dual Motor.

Knowing what I know, I'll be surprised if the new seats don't get announced along with the dual motor this evening. :) And that's not speculations however I don't wanna ruin the surprise if it is really part of the "and something else" xD.. Guess we will all wait and see :).. but even if it's not announced together, there are new seats coming from a well.. VERY well known brand that also makes seats for buses, aircraft seats.. etc.. :)

1) X and 3 are not going to be discussed
2) "Internet mostly got it right" = AWD on Model S
3) "Don't realize the magnitude" = Incredible performance increase due to AWD
4) Something else that is "already there" = Driver assist hardware that already exist in recent cars?

1) X and 3 are not going to be discussed
2) "Internet mostly got it right" = AWD on Model S
3) "Don't realize the magnitude" = Incredible performance increase due to AWD
4) Something else that is "already there" = Driver assist hardware that already exist in recent cars?

That sounds pretty accurate :)... And I guess "don't appreciate the magnitude" which is what he said.. pretty much means that we take these things for granted where.. I'm sure a lot of resources, time have been invested and spent on making the AWD and the performance it has and.. what not to all work for us to enjoy.. :) Truth be told.. I could never really "fully" appreciate a lot of things since I don't have the degree or knowledge to know how much went into a certain design or system but.. I can appreciate it for the most part :)...

Larry

Don't appreciate the magnitude on AWD wouldn't have to be about performance.
- we already know that AWD can increase efficiency (and increase range) through different gearing
- dividing power could help reduce heating issues
- they'd already suggested that their AWD system would be very advanced, and the fact that it's really a software-based system is a big deal
- in the marketplace AWD is a significant selling point so it's a big deal finally to have AWD available in a BEV.

If they aren't doing the X then other has to be demos of more advanced Autopilot features, hopefully announcing that the hardware is all there on all S/X, so watch for software updates. EDIT: actually, scratch that bit, Tesla anticlimaxes are common, so maybe officially announcing the minimal driver assist they have right now.

Last edited:
Elon has been talking about Autopilot in the last several months many times. He said aswell, all it needs is a CAMERA, SOME SENSORS and A RADAR (!!!). He said all cars next year will be capable of Autopilot. Since September 19th, they started integrating this Hardware into the new production cars. So, Blindspot and ACC is for sure coming since people already got the ACC Stalks in new cars too.

Check the recent Interview with Walter Isaacson on Google:

Elon Says: "One of the things is already there, and people just don't realize it."

We all are not taking the autopilot thingy too serious and while there weren't that many new features in the Software 6.0, it could explain what they have been really focusing on. Isn't it quite obvious to you guys, that they will unveil Autopilot (at least for highway)??? That's probably the "something else" and D for Dual Motor.

+1 this makes sense and besides it is what I want to believe...