Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to buy...How does refusal work at delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new member here from Atlanta. I'm seriously considering a Model 3 but I also have a First Edition KIA EV6 about to arrive (end of February). I'm waiting to test drive the EV6 first before I decide in which direction to go. But with dealer markups out of control I may likely go with the M3. However, I'm also aware of all the quality build issues with Tesla. I guess I'm looking for first hand experiences from recent M3 buyers in terms of what my rights are for refusing the M3 at delivery if I should find significant panel alignment (or otherwise) issues. How difficult/easy is it to refuse? Can you run me through the process? Just looking for real world experiences and suggestions. Not looking for a venting fest. Thanks in advance to all!

I hear a lot about quality issues but my M3 SR+ built last July has been very good. I only had a buzzy rattle in the rear deck and the alignment of the hood over the frunk was less that perfect. Both things were corrected at the local service center. Fit and finish is not Mercedes quality but much better than the typical domestic.

I think there may have been quality issues at first as production was ramped up. No surprise there. You must remember, more people will complain than will praise. Human nature.

The chances are your car will be fine. If there are issues, they will usually fix them. You can refuse and then you'll be put back into the queue and who knows when the next match will appear. If you continue to refuse other matches, more than likely they will cancel your order and you're back at square one.

I'm a new member here from Atlanta. I'm seriously considering a Model 3 but I also have a First Edition KIA EV6 about to arrive (end of February). I'm waiting to test drive the EV6 first before I decide in which direction to go. But with dealer markups out of control I may likely go with the M3. However, I'm also aware of all the quality build issues with Tesla. I guess I'm looking for first hand experiences from recent M3 buyers in terms of what my rights are for refusing the M3 at delivery if I should find significant panel alignment (or otherwise) issues. How difficult/easy is it to refuse? Can you run me through the process? Just looking for real world experiences and suggestions. Not looking for a venting fest. Thanks in advance to all!

This depends on whether your state is one that tesla can legally sell in, as some states still restrict direct to consumer sales by an auto manufacturer (protecting the dealer lobby).

If you live in such a state, you wont be rejecting delivery. If you dont live in such a state, rejecting delivery would be as simple as saying "I will not be accepting this vehicle" when you go to pick it up from the delivery center, and waiting for another one.

My (limited) understanding is, you would be placed back into the queue and another car assigned when available. Tesla will not allow you to reject multiple cars. I know one is fine, I dont know how many more they would let you reject. It likely depends on what the verifiable issues are on the car.

If something is egregious, then they would understand. If its something that is difficult to spot, or someone pulls out a panel gap measuring tool to start going over the car before accepting it then rejects it, that would likely bring a different response.

Forums exacerbate this idea that "most cars" have issues, when that isnt the case. I am not saying "there are no issues", but what I am saying is, there is no need to go into a purchase planning to reject it.

This depends on whether your state is one that tesla can legally sell in, as some states still restrict direct to consumer sales by an auto manufacturer (protecting the dealer lobby).

If you live in such a state, you wont be rejecting delivery. If you dont live in such a state, rejecting delivery would be as simple as saying "I will not be accepting this vehicle" when you go to pick it up from the delivery center, and waiting for another one.

My (limited) understanding is, you would be placed back into the queue and another car assigned when available. Tesla will not allow you to reject multiple cars. I know one is fine, I dont know how many more they would let you reject. It likely depends on what the verifiable issues are on the car.

If something is egregious, then they would understand. If its something that is difficult to spot, or someone pulls out a panel gap measuring tool to start going over the car before accepting it then rejects it, that would likely bring a different response.

Forums exacerbate this idea that "most cars" have issues, when that isnt the case. I am not saying "there are no issues", but what I am saying is, there is no need to go into a purchase planning to reject it.
Good points! I'm in Georgia. Not sure how this state works but I think it's okay to sell direct. Where could I go and check on this? Is there a website that shows each state's position on this somewhere?

We have a Y and the car was built incredibly well. Absolutely NO issues at delivery and I spent almost 2 hours looking over the car. I just checked out 3 model 3's and 2 Y's at a Tesla store near me yesterday as we have a 3 on order too, and they were put together much better than what I've seen in the past and almost as good as our Y. So for me that is pretty encouraging.

I am not the world's biggest Tesla fan but one thing to keep in mind is the incredibly strong resale value if you ever do decide to part with it.

We have a Y and the car was built incredibly well. Absolutely NO issues at delivery and I spent almost 2 hours looking over the car. I just checked out 3 model 3's and 2 Y's at a Tesla store near me yesterday as we have a 3 on order too, and they were put together much better than what I've seen in the past and almost as good as our Y. So for me that is pretty encouraging.

I am not the world's biggest Tesla fan but one thing to keep in mind is the incredibly strong resale value if you ever do decide to part with it.

I have a 2018 Model 3 P, and while I am not complaining about it, it does have a fair amount of road noise, and a couple of rattles, etc. After listening to my wife hint around for like the umpteeth time about "sigh... I guess I have to go put gas in MY car now... " and "its super cool that your car gets updates, how often does BMW update the maps on my car?" (her 2019 X3), I took the hint and asked her if she wanted to trade in her X3 for a model Y.

The immediate answer was "yes" (before I could even finish asking the question, lol).

She almost never drives "my car" because its "too fast" and "its your baby" (which it isnt, but lol). There is a point here, I promise....

I told her that she should test drive a model Y to look at it up close. We went to the local tesla store which because tesla opened up one in my city is like 3 miles from my house now, and test drove a new model Y performance (because if we are buying one I want the speed even though she will never drive it like that herself lol).

It was a brand new 2022 model Y performance, with the amd ryzen chip, and was so new it was still calibrating the cameras. I was amazed at how well put together that car was. It wasnt quite my wifes 2019 X3 from a build perspective, but very close. It was basically perfect.

OMG another build quality concern. Show me a perfect car, I'll wait.

This is a bit harsh. While I get the consternation (believe me, I do), for me, a lot is about how someone words something. From this OPs first post, I did not get anything other than "I am curious how this would work if I have to do it", in a fairly dispassionate manner, even calling out that they were not interested in a vent session.

I am mentioning this to potentially head off the somewhat inevitable "vent session' the OP specifically said they were not looking for, when people on the other side of this debate read this thread.

I will likely be somewhat heavy handed in moving such posts out of this thread, especially since the OP specifically mentioned that is not what they were looking for.

Reactions: Halldawg and tm1v2
Another forum member I know sent me pictures of when he recently picked up his refreshed 2022 MS. I am not going to lie, it was pretty terrible. The gap between the trunk and body was big enough you could put your finger through it. Big paint scuff where it looks like the trunk was hitting the body in the general area. Don't know how since it was so far away but the paint was scuffed all the way down to the base coat.

The interior seat "leather" was all wrinkly as if they had put in too big of pieces. It wasn't near as taut as it should be. For a 100k car the QC was pretty much absent. SO if Tesla can do that on a car costing twice as much as a 3, and not care about it, then they aren't going to care about your 3 either.

QC with Tesla is even more chaotic than getting a real delivery date. As I said my Y was amazingly good. As good as any MB, Porsche, Audi, etc. I've owned. If our S or 3 is as bad as his S was, I'll likely reject it. Hopefully they'll make it right but Tesla doesn't have a lot of incentive to do so. On the plus side, the family loves the car.

The simplest way to reject a car is to not pay for it. :) That works for any car, new or used.

Look over the car first. Make sure it's what was advertised, the condition is what you expect, and there's no obvious shenanigans. Then hand over your cashier's check or other form of acceptable payment to the seller.

I don't think I've ever paid for a car before seeing it in person, new or used, Tesla or otherwise. Just seems like basic due diligence.

Now as for what Tesla will do if you refuse to buy the car they present to you, I agree with what's been said - depends on why you're rejecting it and maybe how you come across to their staff. Be reasonable and hopefully they will be too by letting you keep your order active or refunding your order fee (vs cancelling and taking your order fee).

Basing a purchase decision on the current car resale market is not a great plan. Today market is really an inflated bubble ready to pop at any time. Resale values will return to normal levels eventually. In normal times Teslas did not have great resale values. Nor did most other cars. Just about anyone right now can sell a new car for what they purchased it for to carmax/carvana and the like. It is crazy.

Reactions: afadeev
My point is that if you buy it now and don't like it, very easy to flip the car and likely get out without much of a loss if any. More likely better than most other cars or EVs.

We are selling our 7 seat MY. I am astounded at the wholesale offers I am receiving. By comparison when I sold an Acura we had not long, they were good but not amazingly good like on the Tesla. Tesla still is the halo brand for EVs.

Basing a purchase decision on the current car resale market is not a great plan. Today market is really an inflated bubble ready to pop at any time. Resale values will return to normal levels eventually. In normal times Teslas did not have great resale values. Nor did most other cars. Just about anyone right now can sell a new car for what they purchased it for to carmax/carvana and the like. It is crazy.
While that is certainly true for the more expensive Model S/X, the Model 3 has always had fantastic resale value, even before the pandemic induced supply shortages of 2021+.

In normal times Teslas did not have great resale values.

In normal times "Tesla model 3s and Ys" still had great resale values, and have had so since they were launched. No one has a crystal ball to predict the future, and they were not todays "sell used for more than new" resale values, but its not accurate to say that "Teslas" didnt have great resale values prior to this.

Model S and X values were similar to their German car counterparts, but model 3 and Y held their values very well, even prior to this "car bubble".

...and test drove a new model Y performance (because if we are buying one I want the speed....)
All this worry about "the speed". Where are you going that you can drive faster than the speed limit anyway? Or why is it that you NEED to beat all the other cars at the light when you are five cars behind the front? You might arrive home five minutes earlier, and what do you do but grab a beer and plop down in front of the TV. Sure, I like the acceleration, but it doesn't get you anywhere unless you start weaving and passing... and then you end up at the next light waiting for it to go green while sitting behind some Subaru. And that's only if you haven't attracted the attention of some officer.

My wife has the single motor Model 3, bought because that's what they had in the beginning. It jumps off the line at the light and leaves everyone behind, even IF they are aware and awake enough to get moving. You do not need the "Performance" because it has the performance already. Of course, Tesla is happy to take the extra money and offer more acceleration, even if you can't use it wisely.