Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to schedule delivery but getting cold feet...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the resident Tesla owner who hates her car (but can't sell because her partner loves it), I'll weigh in.

If you want to be able to count on anything, receiving what you paid for, keeping what you paid for, being able to get into the car and drive off, then you should probably rethink.

We paid for FSD and there is no way we'll get what was promised. Ever.

We paid for radar and it was disabled.

We paid for USS and that still works but part of the software have changed so while we could tuck our car back into a parking spot at ground level, we can't do so in our underground parking spot (which used to be able to do.)

We are constantly losing and sometimes regaining, UI features. But after each update we have to figure out what is different. For instance, the latest issue we have is the now silent turn signal indicator. Thankfully, the tip to turn off Joe Mode works. My profile had the sound come but louder than ever without touching Joe Mode. But then it went away again. Such is the life of owning a Tesla. If you want to count on being able to hear that the turn signal is on, don't buy a Tesla. It sounds ridiculous but never in a million years would I have expected that to go away. Then again, I didn't expect them to bury the windshield defrost button under 2 levels of screen. That's back now after another update.

Then there is the issue that you are paying for a premium car but not getting premium fit and finish. Just ask yourself if that will bother you so you can make the purchase with the correct expectations.

There's the issue that other manufacturers have solved issues Tesla is still working on. Rain sensing wipers. Traffic Aware Cruise Control. Parking assist that works. Bird's eye camera view. The farts are flawless, cruise control isn't.

The following issue I have is because I didn't understand that my car's AWD was not controlled by the driver. The car's computer decides which motors should be working. If there is bad weather, my car remains a rear wheel vehicle unless I start to bad skid, then the front motor will kick in and I'll get AWD. I thought I had real AWD that would help me in bad conditions. The first year I didn't push the car at all because we were using the all-season OEM tires. It was a nightmare to drive in snow which was a surprise to me, sliding all over the road. I thought my AWD would compensate (as well as the weight of the vehicle.) Winter 2 was much better for normal driving but going around a corner in 2+ inches of snow was still terrifying. That's when I learned I need to gun it as I go into the curve, not slow down and creep carefully as I have been doing for almost 5 decades, all of them accident-free. When I gun it, the car slips and the front motor engages. It's crazy to me. I understand that always engaged AWD is overkill for this grandma that drives in Chill mode all the time. The range hit is too much. But damn it, I would like to be able to take the range hit for safer driving the 4 - 8 times a year I need it. I debadged my car when it was ppf'd but I'm glad the dual motor badge is off because it is more like marketing BS than an actual safety feature.

There's all the issues that make the car difficult for the passengers. I swear the car is designed for single, young, males, and they may always be single because the car doesn't treat passengers well. The seats belt receivers in the back making it impossible to put in a booster seat, a car seat and a small adult because the receivers are flush (or below) the back seat cushions. The fact that if you are a passenger in the back seat you have to ask the driver to change the heat seater because that isn't a control passengers have. Or that a front seat passenger has to ask the driver to activate voice command (which used to also be accessible from the home screen.) I'm lucky, my car still has a front pax lumbar and I will tell you this is the most comfortable car for long rides. With my arthritic knees, hips and back, I can usually start walking the moment I step out of the car. That was not true with my Prius, anything longer than 30 minutes required a moment or two to get my balance because my joints were so sore and I couldn't trust they'd hold me up if I started walking. I don't know how much of that is the seat and how much is also the lumbar setting in the seat. Newer cars don't have lumbar for front pax because "they weren't using it" (I have never reset it since getting the car because it is where I want it to be, I should not have to keep changing settings for no reason so that future owners will have the same feature.)

Finally, there's the question of when you need the car. If I was going to replace this car, it would be with a Toyota or Lexus Hybrid or maybe PHEV. (We are a single car family and drive many places where charging becomes a concern.) To buy such a vehicle, I'm looking at an 18 month wait at a minimum. Teslas are readily available in most trim levels.

Now you can read through all my experiences, and decide you don't think the same way at all.

But you have been given the flip side of the coin and will be prepared when you get your car. All the things I dislike about my car were things I didn't know before I bought it.

You are doing well to educate yourself ahead of time.

I'm now in the middle of Walter Issaacson's book Elon Musk. It is a fascinating read about his life. Whether you like him or hate him, I highly recommend everyone that owns or thinking of owning a Tesla to read this book
I second this. I read (I would rather say “listen to” as in an audiobook format on Audible) it in full, and highly recommend it

If you're being forced to keep a vehicle you hate, you have other issues. Life's too short to keep a vehicle you don't like.
Life is effin short now. Technically this was to be our last car and FSD was bought with it because my husband drank the Elon kool-aid and thought it would give us independence longer than an ICE. Me? I was getting a premium vehicle for the first time in our lives. And was desperate for lane departure warning and blind spot camera to reduce the near misses. Hah! Not premium, except for the front seat comfort. Got lane departure warnings but the other didn't show up for over a year.

The car was bought in September 2020 when we were going into lockdowns, Halloween was canceled and we all knew Christmas gatherings would not be allowed. On top of all that, the one of us who loves the car and had always wanted a tesla was waiting for his open heart valve repair surgery to become available (at that point if one wasn't getting cpr on arrival at the hospital open heart surgery was considered non essential.) My depression level was getting to an unmanageable level, I needed something to look forward to.

So, because I love him and the MY met the requirements I had for a replacement for our 8 year old car, I agreed to spend 2x as much on a car than I paid for my first house and we bought a tesla.

It is an excellent mobile isolation chamber during lockdowns. And also for me to sleep in while he was at his followup appointments after the *second open heart* surgery since the rapidly done repair failed in just over a year but it took another year to get diagnosed and back into surgery. I had covid that second time and couldn't go to follow up appointments with him so slept in the car while waiting. Middle of winter, no problem cuz it's an EV.

The way to stay married for 40 years is to not always demand your own way. And sometimes do something because it brings joy to your spouse.

Tesla engineers don't appear to have lived long enough to learn the lesdkn Happy Wife equals Happy Life. Passengers are barely an after thought. Joe Mode was added because engineer Joe had a kid who was disturbed by all the sounds the car makes.

Look at one's limited options for child seats. At least in the MY I can remove the rear headrest with a tool so my front facing car seat can be used. You can't do that in an MX, their car for families. But we can't take all 3 grands with us at once.

The car is selfishly designed but that doesn't mean I should be even more selfish and take it away from my husband.

And before you ask, we live in an apartment with only one parking space because we believe in reducing our environmental footprint. I'm not buying a second car just because Elon produces crap my husband loves.

I didn’t say the car was off-road capable, I said the feature you were clamoring for exists, and it’s called off road mode (actually off-road assist). Sheeesh!

For use at low speeds, disables traction control while being used (that's what actually engages the front motor) and thus requires me turning it on at every corner and turning it off on the straight away, where traction control is appreciated in snow.

I just want my tail to stop swinging out into oncoming lanes when I go around a corner at 10 kph. So far taking that corner at 15 to 20 is the best method for achieving that goal. Basically traction control then says WTF and kicks in the front motor.

BTW it was my mistake, I thought you were referring to track mode, which I understand has the option to go to AWD from the settings.

Track mode, off road assist, you can see how one might mix them up, just like mixing up AP and TACC, which is part of AP.

Last edited:
We're old, too. I would never want my wife to suffer through what you seem to be dealing with. Does he know of your issues, or are you keeping them to yourself and this forum?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Nope, don't keep them to myself. Have had to consciously tone it down because I was being a bitch about it and he doesn't deserve that.

He know when he dies I'm immediately selling the Tesla (or putting in an order for an PHEV and selling when that comes in.)

What he recently shared with me is he is selling it immediately if I die first! In his case, though, he's buying an MX!

We had a good laugh when he shared that, when I looked into getting an MX after the price dropped and I explored if it would to solve the "can't carry all three grands or two grands and their parents" problem. Turns out I'd have to buy new child seats because the ones I have won't work at all in an MX so that was a brief thought (and unleashed another rant about how Teslas are designed by selfish young men.)