Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to schedule delivery but getting cold feet...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I put down a deposit for a Model Y Long Range, but in the last two days I've been getting these messages about Tesla Vision and removal of USS and how some key features will be missing. This is giving me cold feet. Looking to get some sensible feedback about others who may have gone through the same thing and how did they end up making their decision, whichever way it went.

Hello! I put down a deposit for a Model Y Long Range, but in the last two days I've been getting these messages about Tesla Vision and removal of USS and how some key features will be missing. This is giving me cold feet. Looking to get some sensible feedback about others who may have gone through the same thing and how did they end up making their decision, whichever way it went.
You need to know that Tesla is not a traditional car company.

It thinks the removal of radar and sonars will enhance your ownership even though the current feedback doesn't reflect that expectation. The key word here is "will." That’s future tense.

If I buy a Tesla, I would do it based on its present competencies and not on the future expectation.

Thus, buy it because the instrument cluster on the left below says your Tesla falsely senses 34 inches of clearance in front even though it's about to kiss the car in front:

aOuVyvo.jpg

Don't buy it thinking that someday it will tell you correctly 1" instead of incorrectly 34".

Some don't care about the inaccuracies because our grandparents didn't have sonars and radars in their cars in the first place, and they were driving just fine!

Last edited:
Reactions: howardnj

It thinks the removal of radar and sonars will enhance your ownership even though the current feedback doesn't reflect that expectation. The key word here is "will." That’s future tense.

If I buy a Tesla, I would do it based on its present competencies and not on the future expectation.

Thus, buy it because the instrument cluster on the left below says your car has 34 inches in front even though it's about to kiss the car in front:

aOuVyvo.jpg

Don't buy it thinking that someday it will tell you correctly 1" instead of incorrectly 34".

Some don't care about the inaccuracies because our grandparents didn't have sonars and radars in the first place, and they were driving just fine!
Funny you referenced that video because I watched that last night and it definitely contributed to the cold feet...

I read Elon's biography, and Elon's style is to push the envelope and reduce cost, and that if later you don't add back in 10% of the things you cut too aggressively now, you didn't cut hard enough. I'm concerned the USS would be the 10% that they realized they shouldn't have cut.

Reactions: howardnj

Thus, buy it because the instrument cluster on the left below says your Tesla falsely senses 34 inches of clearance in front even though it's about to kiss the car in front:

aOuVyvo.jpg

Some don't care about the inaccuracies because our grandparents didn't have sonars and radars in their cars in the first place, and they were driving just fine!
I call BS on that graphic. None of the surrounding vehicles are showing, except one that is pointing the wrong direction and isn't actually there. Also, the display is overly sensitive, meaning it would show the vehicle in front being half way through the hood. Ours was like that when we first picked it up, but has actually improved with age and is easy to negotiate now.

You cannot view Tesla cars or the company through the lens of traditional ICE cars or dealerships. Even though there over one-million Tesla's on the road, ALL EVs make up less than 3% of cars. People who buy Tesla cars need to understand the car is still a work in progress and, since there are no "dealers," their Service Center model is also a work in progress.

As suggest above, do not buy a Tesla based on promises.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the USS doesn't work well enough to rely on to not hit things or navigate small spaces. I get the warning bongs and large "STOP!" graphic about six times every time I pull in or out of my garage despite plenty of clearance, along with measurements that bear little correlation to reality. Just take a few minutes to learn where the corners of your car are in space (see what it looks like inside then get out and check where you actually are until your visual assessment and reality are in pretty good agreement; it's easy to learn) and you'll be better off than relying on either questionable warning system. Your eyes will do a better job. I wouldn't sweat the absence of USS.

I call BS on that graphic. None of the surrounding vehicles are showing, except one that is pointing the wrong direction and isn't actually there. Also, the display is overly sensitive, meaning it would show the vehicle in front being half way through the hood. Ours was like that when we first picked it up, but has actually improved with age and is easy to negotiate now.
The vision really is that bad, but that also isn't a killer for me. I knew it would be bad. When I pull into my garage it thinks I have a mere 20 some inches while in reality I have over five feet (I think it's confused because of the slight incline to get into the garage?). When I pull into the parking spot at the grocery store it tells me I have between 12 inches and (inside) the pole, while in reality I am consistently about 6 inches. That's... bad? On the other hand, when I pull out of my other parking spot where I turn and the car very nearly brushes some tall grass (it doesn't, but it's close) it never beeps at all, while my Lexus looses it's mind over that.

That said, vision being the only option is fine for me. I don't use summon or park assist, and so those features being missing is really not a huge problem for me.

So, if Summon, Par Assist, or reliable distance measurers are important to you, or a deal breaker, don't buy the car and wait until it's either fixed or they install USS again (or, since they'll never do that and admit they messed up, they will install Tesla-USS2-enchanced and claim they invented it).

I'm not a hater, I love the car, but you really do need to know what you're getting into with eyes open or you will be disappointed.

You cannot view Tesla cars or the company through the lens of traditional ICE cars or dealerships. Even though there over one-million Tesla's on the road, ALL EVs make up less than 3% of cars. People who buy Tesla cars need to understand the car is still a work in progress and, since there are no "dealers," their Service Center model is also a work in progress.

As suggest above, do not buy a Tesla based on promises.
Doesn't the term 'work in progress' suggest its getting steadily better?

Hello! I put down a deposit for a Model Y Long Range, but in the last two days I've been getting these messages about Tesla Vision and removal of USS and how some key features will be missing.
You only learned about the lack of sensors AFTER you placed the order? 🤦‍♂️🤯🤔. This has been going on for almost a year now.

On another note, I recall very vividly when no cars had sensors. And everyone did just fine.

You only learned about the lack of sensors AFTER you placed the order? 🤦‍♂️🤯🤔. This has been going on for almost a year now.

On another note, I recall very vividly when no cars had sensors. And everyone did just fine.
I mean, sure, but it's also silly to argue that a well designed a functional range finding function on all sides of a car isn't beneficial.

Sure, people lived before we invented glasses, but it probably sucked a lot more for them.

Again, I love the car, but the sensor issue will really flummox people coming from literally any modern vehicle, which is where most of them will eventually be coming from as the EV transition continues.

Elon said their computers were often getting conflicting data from Vision, Radar and Ultrasonics. Took lots of computing power to try to sort them all out.
Latest desision is to go all in on vision. Upgrade the camera, focus all computing power to analyze the vision data to arrive at the proper corrections.
Says this is how humans drive, and that applying only a single stream of data might be the best solution going forward.

Removing sensors reduce weight, cost, complexity, installation costs plus the many engineers needed to design them and their software. The cars look better without them, fewer holes needed in the body work, and easier to repair. Warranty repairs will go down and many parts can be eliminated from production. Better...Faster...Cheaper.

Elon said their computers were often getting conflicting data from Vision, Radar and Ultrasonics. Took lots of computing power to try to sort them all out.
Latest desision is to go all in on vision. Upgrade the camera, focus all computing power to analyze the vision data to arrive at the proper corrections.
Says this is how humans drive, and that applying only a single stream of data might be the best solution going forward.

Removing sensors reduce weight, cost, complexity, installation costs plus the many engineers needed to design them and their software. The cars look better without them, fewer holes needed in the body work, and easier to repair. Warranty repairs will go down and many parts can be eliminated from production. Better...Faster...Cheaper.
Not to rehash what has been said many times but: Humans have two eyes facing forward for range finding. HW4 Teslas have 1. I'm not saying that it's impossible to do, just that it is a radically different problem than multi-sensor data fusion. In fact, single camera range finding is a difficult problem no matter how you look at it.

Expensive Waymo has been able to deal with sensor functions.

Cheapo $30,000 Chevy Bolt EUV with SuperCruise has been doing it with hands-free.

and Tesla sell more EVs than anyone out there-are all those customers have no clues what's going on?
Handsfree SuperCruise has been very good with sensor fusion but its Bolt lacks range, charge speed (50, not 250kW), and charging structure.

Tesla has good charging structure, range, and charge speed but complains about sensor fusion.

Thus, if consumers want their EVs to have enough range and charging speed, they might just have to go along that sensor fusion is hard.

I’m just glad I didn’t let the fear get the better of me.

Are there areas that Tesla has been notoriously bad on? Absolutely like autowipers. They still need to improve this.

But is it enough to not want the car? Heck no.

Others may beat Tesla in one or two specific areas. The best overall package is still Tesla.

I have USS and rarely use it. There are times where those are not ideal like poles/post.

Funny you referenced that video because I watched that last night and it definitely contributed to the cold feet...

I read Elon's biography, and Elon's style is to push the envelope and reduce cost, and that if later you don't add back in 10% of the things you cut too aggressively now, you didn't cut hard enough. I'm concerned the USS would be the 10% that they realized they shouldn't have cut.
I'm now in the middle of Walter Issaacson's book Elon Musk. It is a fascinating read about his life. Whether you like him or hate him, I highly recommend everyone that owns or thinking of owning a Tesla to read this book.BTW TSLA closed up today Black Friday