Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USS on X gone as well?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was looking at the LRMY for a while for the wife. Got cold feet last winter with the loss of USS, price fluctuations, etc. also with three kids in car seats, got worried about space in the MY back seat (even the 7 seat version). Now with the MX price reductions, it’s bringing the price similar to what we were willing to pay for the MY last winter.

Am I correct in reading that the USS systems have now been removed from the MX too? I haven’t been too impressed with the Tesla Vision performance so far and was hoping Tesla would persevere the USS at least on their flagship line.

if the USS is gone, then frankly the value proposition is hard to step up from the Y primarily only getting a better suspension, falcon doors, and a bigger screen for that step-up? Would be weighing the additional space from a MX vs a much cheaper MY (or at least waiting for Juniper updates next year which likely include much of what we see in the current MX).

Last edited:
Yes, USS is "gone" on Model X and Model S. Here is a thread where it talks about the lack of USS affecting full auto opening of the Model X doors:

Reactions: StevenSD
Was looking at the LRMY for a while for the wife. Got cold feet last winter with the loss of USS, price fluctuations, etc. also with three kids in car seats, got worried about space in the MY back seat (even the 7 seat version). Now with the MX price reductions, it’s bringing the price similar to what we were willing to pay for the MY last winter.

Am I correct in reading that the USS systems have now been removed from the MX too? I haven’t been too impressed with the Tesla Vision performance so far and was hoping Tesla would persevere the USS at least on their flagship line.

if the USS is gone, then frankly the value proposition is hard to step up from the Y primarily only getting a better suspension, falcon doors, and a bigger screen for that step-up? Would be weighing the additional space from a MX vs a much cheaper MY (or at least waiting for Juniper updates next year which likely include much of what we see in the current MX).
I’m in the same boat as you, and yes the USS are gone. That being said, I think there are more value props on the X vs the Y.

Some may be subjective, but: better looks, more range, faster, heavier (179 if you can), bigger, more practical third row, driver screen, better seats, better sound system, quieter ride, rear screen, better windshield, etc.

I’m in the same boat as you, and yes the USS are gone. That being said, I think there are more value props on the X vs the Y.

Some may be subjective, but: better looks, more range, faster, heavier (179 if you can), bigger, more practical third row, driver screen, better seats, better sound system, quieter ride, rear screen, better windshield, etc.
Yeah. Would be interesting to see how the Juniper Y stacks against the X. I realize a bit unfair since different release dates, but would almost force the X to have new distinguishing features once they begin to ship the Juniper Ys. No?

From my reading on the forum, matrix headlights are likely with the X. Also by this time of the year, HW4 is a safe bet too?

How about that “disabled radar” unit in front of the car? Is that also widely seen as part of hw4?

Yeah. Would be interesting to see how the Juniper Y stacks against the X. I realize a bit unfair since different release dates, but would almost force the X to have new distinguishing features once they begin to ship the Juniper Ys. No?

From my reading on the forum, matrix headlights are likely with the X. Also by this time of the year, HW4 is a safe bet too?

How about that “disabled radar” unit in front of the car? Is that also widely seen as part of hw4?
Only the X I think is getting the radar. Maybe the S? Dunno, but not the 3 and Y, they just have a open connector for a potentional future upgrade.

Having driven the my late 2023 X — I don't think it has radar at all. HW4 is camera-based and that's it. I think we need to stop hoping for radar. It's gone, unfortunately, and making drastic changes to the FSD neural network to re-incorporate radar is not as easy as flicking a switch. At this point it could take years to bring it back.

That being said, camera-only drives fine on the highway. It's when parking or in tight spaces where it sucks, due to lack of ultrasonic sensors (USS).

• Disagree
Reactions: StevenSD
Having driven the my late 2023 X — I don't think it has radar at all. HW4 is camera-based and that's it. I think we need to stop hoping for radar. It's gone, unfortunately, and making drastic changes to the FSD neural network to re-incorporate radar is not as easy as flicking a switch. At this point it could take years to bring it back.

That being said, camera-only drives fine on the highway. It's when parking or in tight spaces where it sucks, due to lack of ultrasonic sensors (USS).
Model X with HW4 does have radar. Does it use it? I don't believe it is in use yet.

I took delivery of my Model X on Dec 20 and the next day realized that the FWDs did’t always raise to the highest point of travel — sometimes yes, sometimes no. So I took it in for service and the explanation they gave me was that paint overspray on the inside of the door panel was blocking the USS. When I told them it was my understanding that USS had been removed from all Model X’s they said the doors still have USS inside the panel. They even pulled out the old USS to show me. In any event, the FWDs work just fine now.

I took delivery of my Model X on Dec 20 and the next day realized that the FWDs did’t always raise to the highest point of travel — sometimes yes, sometimes no. So I took it in for service and the explanation they gave me was that paint overspray on the inside of the door panel was blocking the USS. When I told them it was my understanding that USS had been removed from all Model X’s they said the doors still have USS inside the panel. They even pulled out the old USS to show me. In any event, the FWDs work just fine now.

What did they do to resolve this?

I assume, remove the overspray and replace with the same sensors?