TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

About to send LA to Mammoth in the SR

Discussion in 'California' started by Cfinck, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Cfinck

Cfinck Member

Going to top up in Century City. Will stop at the Mojave and Lone Pine SC's.

Happy New Decade everyone!

• Like x 2
  2. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Active Member

And there’s a nice Supercharger right in Mammoth. We had an amazing meal at Roberto’s, about one block south of there.

3. skierrob

skierrob Member

I'm up in Mammoth every few weeks and just picked up my long range AWD. Can you please let us know how your trip went, where you charged, how long it took to charge, etc.? I'd like to be "prepared" when I go.

I've also given thought to trying camp mode up there once at Mammoth RV park. I got the NEMA 14-50 adapter... wonder if I'll need an extension cord and how well camping out would work in the snow. I know the RV park has a nice bathroom / shower / indoor jacuzzi area to hang out at. But I am debating if I want to be in my car all night or wait until April or May when the snow in town is gone and I can have an outdoor campfire and hang out on a beach chair reading a book in the evening.

4. toolman335

toolman335 Member

The camp mode idea is awesome and I could spend all day in my car, but until the seats lie down flat I do not want to sleep in the car lol.

• Helpful x 1
  5. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

A comfortable pad placed in the rear with rear seats folded forwarded.
    (Hint: can be hard to watch Netflix on the screen from that position)

6. dougatconcours

I hope you have at least your rocker panels protected with PPF. o_O

7. KenC

KenC Active Member

According to ABRP, a SR starting at 90% in CC, 45F, would need to stop for 23m at both Mojave and LP. Don't leave until you are at least 80% at either stop.

• Informative x 1
  8. Cfinck

Cfinck Member

Hello update:

Stopped at Mojave first. Charged to 160 and rn route to Lone Pine. Do not do what I am doing haha. Saying going to get to Lone Pine SC with 5% charge. I would highly advise getting well above 200 miles for a comfortable leg of this trip. I’m cruising 70 with no AC. Just my friend and I in car do a bit lighter.

Next stop Lone Pine SC. I’m going to fill up completely there because there is a steep incline pst bishop and that will drain a ton of battery.

LA -> Mojave -> Lone Pine -> Mammoth

9. Cfinck

Cfinck Member

Can’t complain with the view!

Attached Files:

10. Cfinck

Cfinck Member

Alive in Lone Pine with 5% to spare! Munching on some good Mexican food at bonanza

Attached Files:

11. Cfinck

Cfinck Member

BC2A7FEC-14E0-45C4-8C4C-91553DFB9E55.jpeg Charge to 200 in Lone Pine. We made it to Mammoth! Happy new decade!

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  12. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Do people run into chain restrictions going to Mammoth up the 395? Wondering if I need to either get chains, and if so, what kind?

13. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

Buy a set from Tesla for about $130 and keep them in the trunk in the trunk. Unlikely you'll ever need them, but if you do, you'll really need them. :)

• Like x 1
  14. Cosmacelf

Hmmm. Tesla.com shows König K-Summit K67 snow chains for the Model X 20/22" wheels at $545 :eek:

Oh, and they're out of stock.

Is there something better and cheaper?

15. Need

Need Active Member

These are the ones I got for our 2017 MX recommended by other MX chain users at the time:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZFDQE/

Size: SZ441

16. Cfinck

Cfinck Member

Nah if you have AWD you will be more than fine. Especially if there is no snow forecasted for the weekend.

17. Cosmacelf

I do have AWD, and I know the X will be fine in any amount of snow, even without snow tires, but that doesn't help if they have chain checkpoints on the 395 ... I'm going Tuesday through Saturday this coming week, so who knows what the weather will be. I ordered the chains.Hopefully I won't need them.

• Like x 1