Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 MY - What do you think about the mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model Y about 2 1/2 weeks and this morning I had to run some errands. Temperatures topped out at 92 today. I left home around 10:30 AM and had to drive about 14 miles in stop and go traffic on city streets. Not that bad, but a bunch of lights to stop at. Stayed about 15 minutes and had another drive for 10 miles. Car was parked 10 minutes. Then I had to go about 12 miles to pick up someone. While I was waiting, the temperature was about 95 and I waited in the car about 10 minutes. Air conditioning on full. We then drove another 16 miles. A total of 52 miles by the time I got home and noticed that the mileage display went from 262 to 152 or about 110 miles drained on the battery.

Is this normal for putting around town? I haven't taken a long trip yet to test out the mileage. Any thoughts on this?

Hot days plus short trips are terrible for efficiency

Don’t look at the mileage display because you will never achieve a 1:1 ratio of miles “lost” to miles driven. The number displayed on the screen is not realistic and unachievable unless you only drive below like 45 mph with no climate control.

You will find many threads on the subject of the driving range of the Tesla Model Y. As you , noted driving and waiting inside the Tesla Model Y with the Climate Control running does affect your range. Many Tesla Model Y owners will have a quality ceramic tint film applied to most if not all of the glass surfaces (especially the large windshield, side windows and rear hatch glass.) The glass roof is treated from the factory to reject UV rays and IR (heat rays) from the sun; some will have a ceramic tint film applied to the glass roof for additional rejection/protection. You can also find a selection of interior sunshades that can keep the sun's ray's off of your head and the seats and other interior surfaces. In daytime the difference a good tint film treatment can provide will improve your comfort and reduce the amount of cooling that the Climate Control heat pump system must perform during daylight hours.

I am in TX and we have obv been experiencing record heat. I have been getting about 70-80 miles on a charge to 90% and then when it gets to 20% I charger it. I have a 2023 model Y (long range), how in hell am I only getting 70-80 miles of “city driving”. Understand that AC maybe radio will eat up some battery but only getting ~80 miles just does not add up. Maybe I have a lemon.

Wondering if anyone else w ‘23 Model Y (long range) is experiencing this ? Thanks
Makes no sense.

You should open a service request via the Tesla app. Provide photos of the Trip Odometer - Trip A or Trip B.

A fair energy consumption test would be to drive 30 to 50 miles on the highway and then drive the return route. Look at the Wh/mile consumption. Wind and elevation changes would be averaged out. The Wh/mile consumption should be at or under 300 Wh/mile unless you are driving 80 MPH+ or something is dragging (possibly a stuck brake caliper.) You can test for a stuck brake caliper by feeling for excess heat by holding your hand close to (but not touching) the brake rotors after driving a few miles.

For comparison, even when towing a full load (~3500 lb) the estimated range of a LRMY would be greater than 100 miles.

Last edited:
I am in TX and we have obv been experiencing record heat. I have been getting about 70-80 miles on a charge to 90% and then when it gets to 20% I charger it. I have a 2023 model Y (long range), how in hell am I only getting 70-80 miles of “city driving”. Understand that AC maybe radio will eat up some battery but only getting ~80 miles just does not add up. Maybe I have a lemon.

Wondering if anyone else w ‘23 Model Y (long range) is experiencing this ? Thanks
Makes no sense.
My GM Bolt goes from 90% to 65% driving round trip to work (42 miles) and utilizing the A/C full time.

Reactions: tajpuria
Ok thanks. Was planning to do a drive for a longer range to see how many miles I get. I was told that Highway driving for EVs is worse Vs city driving? Will still try to see that I get

I also provided screen shots w starting mikes at 90% and miles at 20% that shows I only got 50-79 miles on a full charge., Tesla gives me the same BS line, “the EV gives you just an estimate.”

The last time I brought my Y in they said there was a fault in The BMS and reset it, and this was supposedly causing charging and low range. After they reset the BMS, my Y charges properly but still get 70-80 city miles on a full charge (90%)

Ok thanks. Was planning to do a drive for a longer range to see how many miles I get. I was told that Highway driving for EVs is worse Vs city driving? Will still try to see that I get

I also provided screen shots w starting mikes at 90% and miles at 20% that shows I only got 50-79 miles on a full charge., Tesla gives me the same BS line, “the EV gives you just an estimate.”

The last time I brought my Y in they said there was a fault in The BMS and reset it, and this was supposedly causing charging and low range. After they reset the BMS, my Y charges properly but still get 70-80 city miles on a full charge (90%)
Highway driving energy consumption (Watt-hours per mile) in any electric vehicle is directly related to the speed you drive. In Texas, where there are 85 MPH speed limits on some roads this would be a worst case scenario as far as excessive energy consumption and limited driving range. If possible, limit your highway speed to under 75 MPH (70 would be even 8% more efficient than 75 MPH.) If 85 MPH on the highway is how you normally take to the open road then be prepared to have to stop and charge at a Supercharger every ~100 miles. You can choose higher speeds or higher driving efficiency but due to aerodynamics you can't have both.

I have had my Model Y about 2 1/2 weeks and this morning I had to run some errands. Temperatures topped out at 92 today. I left home around 10:30 AM and had to drive about 14 miles in stop and go traffic on city streets. Not that bad, but a bunch of lights to stop at. Stayed about 15 minutes and had another drive for 10 miles. Car was parked 10 minutes. Then I had to go about 12 miles to pick up someone. While I was waiting, the temperature was about 95 and I waited in the car about 10 minutes. Air conditioning on full. We then drove another 16 miles. A total of 52 miles by the time I got home and noticed that the mileage display went from 262 to 152 or about 110 miles drained on the battery.

Is this normal for putting around town? I haven't taken a long trip yet to test out the mileage. Any thoughts on this?
This is totally normal and my MYP acts the same. The efficiency will be crap during the hot/cold days. This is nothing like the ICE car IMO. You will need to charge more than you think.