Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to take the M3 SR+ Plunge! Final Questions & Neat Findings! Halp!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC folks! First post... and the first thing I want to say is thank you for being a healthy community and answering all the questions on here! You've done an amazing job making people feel welcome that are new here.

I have been reading these forums for weeks because I love to research the ever loving S#%* out of my cars. I have a 2011 Lexus IS 350C and it's my baby... but it's time has sadly come (still in awesome shape)... and many of my friends at work happily have Teslas (one let me joy ride his M3!) and I've decided to join the party.

I've settled on getting the following vehicle (if not listed, I ain't gettin' it!):
  • Tesla Model 3
  • White exterior / black interior
  • 18" aero wheels
  • Standard Range Plus (SR+)
  • Autopilot (AP)
Here are the questions I have remaining. Below that are some neat findings I've found out that might be cool for you all to know!

QUESTIONS
  • This seems crazy, but, does the SR+ model have a garage door opener? Or, is the only garage door opener available in Tesla 3s reserved for the LR model via Homelink? Am I insane to think that a regular (and not geo-aware) garage door opener should be standard?
  • Is it true that Autopilot (AP) in this new configuration will not change lanes at all? I'll have to "break" the autopilot, do the lane change manually, and then re-engage it? (otherwise, I'd have to get the +$5k Full Self Driving [FSD] option, eh?)
  • For those in Southern California... it appears there's a $1,000 rebate from Southern California Edison (our power provider out here) but it lists the Model 3 LR and the Model 3 Mid Range (which no longer exists) as being eligible. Does anyone know if the SR+ takes the place and qualifies for this rebate?
NEAT FINDINGS
  • I went to the Tesla store tonight (3/25) in Mission Viejo, CA because I called in to see if they had a SR+ with the semi-premium package because I was dying to hear the audio system and they had one for me to check out. I had already listened to the premium audio in my friend's M3 LR and it was amazing. That said, the SR+ Semi-Premium interior looked awesome and the sound system was fantastic. The difference, to me, was the bass. It definitely was kicking in my friend's car and if you are into that BOOM then you'll want to get that one, but if you're like me then you'll be fine. I like a kick, sure, but I like loud, clear, crisp sounding rock music. First song was MASTER OF PUPPETS by Metallica and then I played ONE... both sounded F'ing amazing. CAPITAL F FRIENDS... capital F. Everything sounded great on the semi-premium audio.
  • The sales guy (who was pretty darn knowledgeable and friendly by the way) confirmed that Tesla will match any trade-in offer by Carmax, but that is (according to him) the only one they will match. I'm wondering who Carmax will match and maybe play a game to see who matches who and then somehow tether that back to Tesla for the best trade-in value possible. He said the same matching philosophy is true for the auto loan, with the obvious stipulation (at least to me) that it has to be the full details of the loan - rate, amount, and term.

Reactions: Zaxxon
SR+ cannot open garage door. However, you can get a smart garage door opener which can be controlled by Alexa/Google Home/Ifttt. Its still not as good as, say, summon auto opening garage door. However, you can still do some cool stuff.

CarMax will be the lowest offer you will get for a trade-in. Tesla knows what it's doing.

Try the AutoTrader Instant Cash Offer. You fill in the necessary information online, and as long as you're honest and accurate, local dealers will offer to buy your car. It should mark higher than a CarMax offer.

I just sold my Lexus and replaced it with a Model 3 last week. I went to CarMax to get a quote. I then placed an ad on Craigslist to see if I could get more. I began getting calls on the car within 5 minutes of posting the ad and sold it a few days later for $4K above the CarMax quoted price.

A used Lexus is in high demand, especially in Orange County.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
good luck with the purchase! just got my mid range a few weeks ago and loving it

my two cents regarding the SCE rebate, I would check with CARB website as SCE goes by CARB's HOV decal eligible list for their rebate. Last I checked, the mid range was the lowest range listed for the model 3. that was one of the reasons I got the MR as opposed to SR+, and I definitely benefit from HOV decals for my commute

You may want to get in touch with someone at CARB to inquire about SR+ eligibility

There is no reason the either Edison or CARB would not include the SR/SR+ models in their rebate or decal program. The problem is that the models were just announced on February 28th and neither program has caught up to the latest lineup. I would give them a call if you are in a hurry and see what they say. I do expect them to add the models in due time.

• For those in Southern California... it appears there's a $1,000 rebate from Southern California Edison (our power provider out here) but it lists the Model 3 LR and the Model 3 Mid Range (which no longer exists) as being eligible. Does anyone know if the SR+ takes the place and qualifies for this rebate?
my two cents regarding the SCE rebate, I would check with CARB website as SCE goes by CARB's HOV decal eligible list for their rebate. Last I checked, the mid range was the lowest range listed for the model 3. that was one of the reasons I got the MR as opposed to SR+, and I definitely benefit from HOV decals for my commute

You may want to get in touch with someone at CARB to inquire about SR+ eligibility

My experience with the SCE rebate is that you should just contact them. When I applied for the rebate for my Model S (long before the rebate amount was increased), the S 70D wasn't listed so I picked a different Model S configuration, submitted the application, then e-mailed the program letting them know that my car was actually a 70D. They then corrected the application on their end and let me know that it wouldn't be a problem.

Tesla changes models/configurations much faster than these organizations operate.

Good info on the sound system.

My wife has a 2018 LR and that sound system is amazing. Was concerned for my SR+ it would be severely lacking. I know it wont be as good but good to hear none the less.

That is correct, C-Nasty. Honestly, it sounded awesome. I listen to a lot of classic rock and random 80s stuff, if that's any context. But it sounded amazing and the different in price isn't worth it.

Reactions: Cnasty
I just sold my Lexus and replaced it with a Model 3 last week. I went to CarMax to get a quote. I then placed an ad on Craigslist to see if I could get more. I began getting calls on the car within 5 minutes of posting the ad and sold it a few days later for $4K above the CarMax quoted price.

A used Lexus is in high demand, especially in Orange County.

Posted my 2014 IS350 F-Sport on CL Los Angeles to gauge interest. Didn't put my number as I'm out of the country. What car was yours and what price were you able to sell it for? Thanks

CarMax will be the lowest offer you will get for a trade-in. Tesla knows what it's doing.

Try the AutoTrader Instant Cash Offer. You fill in the necessary information online, and as long as you're honest and accurate, local dealers will offer to buy your car. It should mark higher than a CarMax offer.

I concur here. Carmax was lower than Tesla. Wasted $5.00 in gas (my last cost for gas) driving out there to get the quote.