Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP Login to Tesla Account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Google Maps (where you can open a route from ABPR), when you share to your Tesla, it does use the specific route. I've tested this with a simple, single destination where there were a couple of alternatives, and the Tesla navigation used the spefifically shared route (vs. plotting its own from just the destination).

I'll swear at some point I shared a route with a waypoint and it worked, but that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment (just tested it again, additional waypoints cause the sharing to error out).

How do you share anything from Google maps to the Tesla? How does it make a connection?

How do you share anything from Google maps to the Tesla? How does it make a connection?
Set your destination directions in Google Maps then share directions as shown in the graphic below. When it gives you the choices for where to share it, choose Tesla. When you get to the vehicle navigation will be setup for that destination. I don't know if this will work for a multi-destination nav.

1658690760348.png

Set your destination directions in Google Maps then share directions as shown in the graphic below. When it gives you the choices for where to share it, choose Tesla. When you get to the vehicle navigation will be setup for that destination. I don't know if this will work for a multi-destination nav.

View attachment 832357

You must be on a phone or something. Nothing like that is available in Google Maps on my laptop.

• In Android Google Maps, tap a location's "Share" button, then pick the Tesla app, which will send it to your car. (Recent versions of Android will show the apps you've recently saved with, then a "More ..." button. Older versions will show all the potential apps.) [And similarly on iPhone?]
  • If you want to start from Desktop Google Maps, it can share a location with your phone via the "Send to Phone" button. That'll get it to Google Maps on the phone, and now we've reduced the problem to a known case.

Android:
Android screenshot.jpg

Desktop:
Desktop screenshot.jpg

Reactions: DrGriz
My experience is that google only shares the destination with the car. The car then computes the route to that destination using it's navigation logic. No intermediate stopping points or routing modifiers are sent to the car.

It's a fine feature for when you look up a location on your phone and want to avoid doing so again in the car.

Reactions: GtiMart
  • In Android Google Maps, tap a location's "Share" button, then pick the Tesla app, which will send it to your car. (Recent versions of Android will show the apps you've recently saved with, then a "More ..." button. Older versions will show all the potential apps.) [And similarly on iPhone?]
  • If you want to start from Desktop Google Maps, it can share a location with your phone via the "Send to Phone" button. That'll get it to Google Maps on the phone, and now we've reduced the problem to a known case.

Android:
View attachment 837353

Desktop:
View attachment 837354

How does "Send to phone" get to your car?

My experience is that google only shares the destination with the car. The car then computes the route to that destination using it's navigation logic. No intermediate stopping points or routing modifiers are sent to the car.

It's a fine feature for when you look up a location on your phone and want to avoid doing so again in the car.

I receive map pins by text message which I can't easily get into the car other than through Gmaps. But from the laptop, the only way to the car is through ABPR.

Owning a Tesla isn't simply like driving a cell phone, it's like driving an iPhone.

As I wrote, "Send to phone" sends a location to Google Maps on your phone, and from there you "Share with" the Tesla app to send it to the car.

Ok, but that's a sucky way to do something. Reminds me of the days when my Dad worked as an telegraph operator for the railroad. They would have to relay messages like that sometimes.

Reactions: Transformer