Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABRP Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ABRP is right on with the range estimate / consumption for me right now and since we got the Y about two months ago.
Will ABRP still be as accurate (or close to it) during the winter? Basically, will ABRP adjust for the inevitable rangle loss during colder weather?

Previous version allowed you to enter in a temperature, headwind, rain etc but at least in the free version has gone away. Too bad as was useful to change the parameters and see how much things like temperature affected range.

Reactions: flixden
Looks like premium is $50 per year. Worth it?
I hate subscriptions.
No, not really. I find it's most useful for figuring out a challenging leg on a trip, which are few and far between these days. I can't remember the last time I actually pre-planned a route, although I'm not the type of traveler who needs to have every stop of a trip planned in advance.

I don't think a Premium version is needed tbh. The car is accurate enough to get you where you need to go, unless you have, as @Big Earl noted, a particularly challenging route with few supercharger options. I use it occasionally when I'm going somewhere I haven't been before, mainly as a rough guide and to figure out where all the SC's are. The car's navi hasn't steered me wrong yet, although it has been behaving a little strangely the last couple of months. (See: Wacky routing/charging all of a sudden )

I don't see those options. Can you tell me how to get there? Would like to play around with that.
At least on Android, click the menu button ("hamburger", top left). Scroll down to "Road conditions" and expand it; wind, temperature and a second "road conditions" (dry, rain, heavy rain/snow) are there.

Unfortunately the latest version has a new bug whereby your SoC at charger/destination, max speed, etc. don't take, won't stick when you clear your plan or restart the app. Just filed the bug report.

At least on Android, click the menu button ("hamburger", top left). Scroll down to "Road conditions" and expand it; wind, temperature and a second "road conditions" (dry, rain, heavy rain/snow) are there.

Unfortunately the latest version has a new bug whereby your SoC at charger/destination, max speed, etc. don't take, won't stick when you clear your plan or restart the app. Just filed the bug report.
Thanks!
I am on Android, but not seeing the options you mention. See screenshot below.
My Version is 4.6.0 (2405). What is your version?

Selecting "Realtime Weather" triggers a popup to subscribe to premium, it's not available in the free version.

1694195107285.png

So playing around with the temp setting, I am quite surprised about the results:

I entered a trip, starting with a 50% SOC. At 68F, I am arriving with 30% left. At 20F, same trip, it says I would arrive with 26% left.

I would have expected a bigger difference. Is this real? That would be good news!

That’s a relatively short trip, 50-60 miles? I would think there would be a larger difference in consumption on a 150 mile trip.
Well, the difference is only 20% (20 vs 24% consumption). From a percentage point of view, it shouldn't matter much. If anything, one would expect the shorter trip to be more impacted by the cold weather (cabin heating, maybe heating the battery?).

I'd be thrilled to only see a 20% range drop going from 68F to well below freezing ....

Haven’t gone through a winter in MY with heat pump, but on the pre-heat pump M3 cold weather (high 20s to low 40s here in northern VA) I’ve found that my efficiency went from an average of 80-85% in spring/summer to around 60-65% in winter. So a pretty substantial hit. Hoping the heat pump makes a difference.