Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abstract ocean - standard delivery time to UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I'm looking to order some bits from AO before my cat arrives on the 25th. They have a standard delivery which just says 'unknown time' and an express which states 2-4 days.

Does anyone know roughly how long the standard takes? Given I've got 11 days until the car arrives if it's like a week or so then there's no need for me to pay the extra in shipping.

Also are there usually custom charges upon receipt?

Thanks in advance

The couple of times I’ve ordered things from Abstract Ocean it has taken about a week to arrive. If it’s your first order then you should be able to get 15% off as a new customer. I can recommend their door and boot bulbs as much brighter than the Tesla ones. Their magnetic jack adapters are good too. In terms of customs tariffs both my orders were hit with this, so worth bearing in mind if there’s little difference between UK and US prices.

Hi guys, I'm looking to order some bits from AO before my cat arrives on the 25th. They have a standard delivery which just says 'unknown time' and an express which states 2-4 days.

Does anyone know roughly how long the standard takes? Given I've got 11 days until the car arrives if it's like a week or so then there's no need for me to pay the extra in shipping.

Also are there usually custom charges upon receipt?

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't recommend you do the standard if you'd like your items soon.

I received my order dispatch email on 29/08 and still waiting for it to arrive. I've just tracked it and as of 9/9 (which is the latest update) it is showing as accepted at International carrier.

That's 10 working days and counting...

We used one of the faster options - it was all handled by DHL. Ordered Saturday, customs charge call and fee paid Monday, delivered Wednesday.

Whilst we incurred a reasonable customs charge, we did not incur a handling charge, unlike the £8/12/xx/disproportionate fee that some shipping methods add on even to collect a few pence worth of VAT.

So, just hazarding a guess, but I wonder if some of the additional cost of the DHL option was a customs handling charge built into the shipping fee. That may close the price gap somewhat because pretty much anything you buy from AO plus shipping is going to cost more than the £15 VAT threshold that has a high chance of triggering the shipping companies handling fees to be collected.

I can chime in here :)

DHL (we also offer UPS, but DHL is nearly always cheaper and better, plus we discount the rate by 25%) is by far the most reliable option, but much more chance of getting dinged with duty/tax. We do what we can to minimise it (), but since all the customs info is sent to DHL and UPS over the wire, there's less chance of it sliding under the radar.

On the other hand, we have ye olde postal services. We use a hybrid option which should speed things up a bit, but, all the postal services (USPS and Royal Mail in this case) are reliant on commercial airlines for the trip across the pond, so that's where the delays can happen. It's much better than it was, but capacity is still 40% of what it would normally be.

From here in Texas we ship UPS Ground to a sorting center in New York, and that's when it's handed off to the postal service for onward shipping and delivery. The advantage of this option is that it's cheap, and since most of what we ship is lightweight, they stand a a much better chance of flying under the customs radar. We still complete a declaration of course, but unlike the faster services, it's stuck to the outside of the package for manual review.

At the height of the Pandemic, the slower/cheaper option was really slow, at one point the postal service was using ships to clear backlog as there was just no airlift available. The backlogs in the sorting centers was what caused us to switch hubs from Chicago to New York. That's no longer the case, so we're seeing an average of ~14 business days for the slow option, and nearly always 3-4 days for DHL. There are outliers though, and if a hub or sorting center gets hit with Covid issues, it can cause a lot of disruption.

One final point, we do not currently include the duty/VAT charge in the shipping cost. It's fairly complex to do that (varies by product and country), but if we cannot sort out local distribution soon, that'll be plan B.

Always around if there's any questions, might just have to @mention me to get my attention.

I've ordered from AO three times & always paid for DHL shipment - delivery within 3-5 days door to door. A great company - Christal & Pete really care about their customers :)

I'm sure they do. Seemed like a good company to order from or I wouldn't have ordered from them. My comment on shipping wasn't a reflection on the company as they are not in control of the postal system. My order shipped within 24 hrs.

I chose standard which states variable time frame and only advised the OP not to make my mistake. Might be quicker and it might not be but AO have no control of that.

@pete8314 some feedback on your RHD all-weather mats for the Model 3 - they are an excellent product - however if you do redesign could you extend the front mats where it raises up nearest the seat rails to cover the carpet section in front of the rails, and fit snugly around the 2 slider rails first 4-6 inches.

This would stop all dust/ dirt as you get in/out. If you are tall like me the seat is quite far back and so some of the cheapo factory carpet is left exposed and catches bits of dirt when you are using the car regularly.

Other than that - everything I've had from you is great, service excellent and keep up the good work :)

The matrix wrap is 100% our favourite. Easier to apply, tough, and still matches the aesthetic of a high-tech car.

It sure does. I wasn't sure about the matt screen protector but once I put it on I knew I made the right choice. I love bright shiny screens but this is a good balance between that and finger prints.

@pete8314 some feedback on your RHD all-weather mats for the Model 3 - they are an excellent product - however if you do redesign could you extend the front mats where it raises up nearest the seat rails to cover the carpet section in front of the rails, and fit snugly around the 2 slider rails first 4-6 inches.

This would stop all dust/ dirt as you get in/out. If you are tall like me the seat is quite far back and so some of the cheapo factory carpet is left exposed and catches bits of dirt when you are using the car regularly.

Other than that - everything I've had from you is great, service excellent and keep up the good work :)

This is good feedback. My seat is quite far back as well and on the market for a set of mats.

yeah, that means it's in New York waiting to move to airside. The backlogs at the hubs are country-specific, so something to the UK might take a couple of weeks to clear, whereas to Italy just a couple of days, so overall it's relatively unpredictable, as to that they sort on size, so small packages are likely to be handled faster, as 100 small packages looks better than 10 large packages on their stats :-/ We're not seeing anything too ugly at the moment though, and subject to Covid and overtime bans, the hubs work weekends, so hopefully you'll see some movement very soon.

Reactions: Percebe and ElRey