Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC and fan keeps turning on when not in car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question that I've been meaning to ask for awhile. I've noticed that when I park my car in the garage, with the charger plugged in, that sometimes the fan would go on. For awhile, I thought that it was just cooling the batteries, but it would happen when I haven't driven the car in awhile and when it wasn't being charged (i.e. before it was time for scheduled charging). I would open the car door and notice that the AC is on and actively cooling the interior to the set temperature. This would happen even when the car is locked (auto lock on and keys not in the car). I don't know if this happens when I'm parked elsewhere but have never come back to the car with the AC on.

I don't know if this is normal behavior or not. If it is, I think it's kind of a waste of energy to have the AC come on when there is no one in the car and the car is locked. Anyway to turn this off?

I have a question that I've been meaning to ask for awhile. I've noticed that when I park my car in the garage, with the charger plugged in, that sometimes the fan would go on. For awhile, I thought that it was just cooling the batteries, but it would happen when I haven't driven the car in awhile and when it wasn't being charged (i.e. before it was time for scheduled charging). I would open the car door and notice that the AC is on and actively cooling the interior to the set temperature. This would happen even when the car is locked (auto lock on and keys not in the car). I don't know if this happens when I'm parked elsewhere but have never come back to the car with the AC on.

I don't know if this is normal behavior or not. If it is, I think it's kind of a waste of energy to have the AC come on when there is no one in the car and the car is locked. Anyway to turn this off?
I bet the light in your fridge always stays on too? ;)

If the vehicle is truly off (e.g. spoiler is down, mirrors folded in, all lights off) the AC fan should turn itself off after a few seconds and stay off. If the key fob is anywhere near the vehicle, then it's possible that the fob is triggering the AC fan (depending on various car settings). If you open the door, that will definitely trigger the climate control (i.e. AC fan) to come on.

Lock the vehicle with a single-click of the fob and then leave the fob in the furthest (from your vehicle) place in your home. Return to the vehicle (without any fob) and see if the AC fan is still running. If it is, then you may want to discuss it with your SC.

Reactions: FarmerDave

Check to make sure you have preconditioning turned off. With it on, the car tries to predict when you will drive it and heat or cool the car ahead of time. It doesn't work well, so will condition the car when not desired.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone and RIZE
Check to make sure you have preconditioning turned off. With it on, the car tries to predict when you will drive it and heat or cool the car ahead of time. It doesn't work well, so will condition the car when not desired.
I agree with this recommendation. I was playing with this feature not really sure what to expect and experienced the same with our X. I ended up turning off preconditioning.

I have this problem. Service said it isn't happening according to their logs. Preconditioning is off. For now I don't have time to mess with it, so I hit the power switch on HVAC when I get home.

I have preconditioning on and figured it would only kick the AC on if the car was plugged in, but I had unplugged my X before I decided to take my other car to work yesterday. When I got home (around midnight) last night, I was surprised to hear my X's AC running. Yesterday was pretty warm, but I figured it couldn't have been hot enough to trigger emergency cooling. And it was definitely an odd time for preconditioning to kick in if that is what it was doing regardless (unless my X assumes I usually leave my office around midnight).

Even stranger, a quick look at the app showed the temperature inside the X was 69 degrees (and I have the controls set to 71). There was absolutely no reason for the AC to still be running. It must have been on for quite some time because when I finally did plug my X in, the range estimate was only 226 miles (I assume it should have been closer to 233...which is what it was when I unplugged it in the morning).

I ended up manually turning off the climate control from the app.

I guess I should disable preconditioning...

I had a problem with my X a while ago when the AC fan was super loud (like a vacuum cleaner loud - I did get this problem fixed). I noticed that the AC fan did run sometimes when the car was parked and connected to the charger. In discussions on why this is happening service did mention that the fan will turn on while the car is charging to keep the battery from overheating. It was mentioned on a pretty hot day the car was parked, but not plugged in while the AC was running. Perhaps it was so hot that the car determined the battery needs to cool down some.

I didn't realize the AC also helps cool down the battery...makes sense on a hot day that it would kick in. That said, at the time of night when I was mentioning (around midnight), the outside temp was probably just below 70 (which means the garage would likely have been no higher than low 80's).