Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC charging issue since 2020.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a software issue to me based on what we’re experiencing.

To me, the cycling happens only when scheduled charging so I’ll do regular charging until a mobile tech can come over to me to check things.

Further to my 2 earlier reports in this thread after hitting reset and turning the circuit breaker off for 12min my 2016 has gone back to doing scheduled charging normally. It has done this 3 times now.

i followed your deep reset wall connector reset procedure (breaker off for 12 minutes), and now it charged fine, even on a colder garage, same scheduled time. So it might have been a wall connector glitch after all.

But I had the issue with my OpenEVSE as well, and also with the Tesla mobile charger. So it's not just wall connector.

Mobile charger travels in my frunk normally, so it surely was unpowered for over 12 minutes. :)

Seems like this problem is also seen in the Tesla forums: Charger "Starting & Stopping" When Reaches Max Threshold

On the last posts it's said: "I went to the Tesla service center this morning for my charging problem. After a general check of the car, they confirmed to me that I was not the only one with this problem and that Tesla engineers were aware of the problem and that it would be fixed in a future software update." a poster said

I did notice this change in charging behavior, when I have my limit set to 80% charging, and my car was at 79% it wouldn't charge (correctly). It's only supposed to charge if the level dropped to say 77% or 78%.

Over the last few months I noticed this doesn't happen anymore, and it would attempt to charge when it drops just 1%. I've seen charging attempts like this, and could be the root cause of this issue when the battery management system attempts trying to float the charge very close to the upper limit.

Last edited:
My problem described in earlier posts would occur whether my charge was 3% below set target or 25% below set target. Resetting and turning off HPWC solved this completely. Perhaps my problem and the charging & stopping when just a percent or two below set target are 2 separate problems that produce the simlar symptoms in the same way that in humans a fever can be caused by an infection or a severe drug reaction or heat stroke or uncontrolled inflammation (eg rheumatoid arthritis).

I have this problem constantly. Works fine charging after a long trip when the car is warm. Only way to do it from cold seems to be to run the heating for 10 mins, get the MCU on and plug in with 2kw power and slowly ramp it up as Zuikkis. I can only seem to get 2 phases to work though. Still under warranty, so booked a mobile service who rang me the day before to confirm the symptoms and then never bothered to show up. Another booked in 2 weeks. Zero apologies or reasons for not showing up from Tesla - pretty crap service really.

I'm reasonably happy with my current solution of scheduled 3kw charge between 22:00 - 07:00, as that is the "cheap electricity" time here. It only charges about 40% during that time, but with my daily driving that is quite enough.

Spoke with Tesla HPWC service earlier today. My (and many other) cars have a software bug with scheduled charging. He checked my car's charging logs to confirm. A high priority software fix is being written. He did not have a time frame of when to expect the update. Advised to not use scheduled charging until a new update.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and evfeh
Spoke with Tesla HPWC service earlier today. My (and many other) cars have a software bug with scheduled charging. He checked my car's charging logs to confirm. A high priority software fix is being written. He did not have a time frame of when to expect the update. Advised to not use scheduled charging until a new update.

thanks for this, I’ve turned it off until this gets addressed.

So my battery level was at 80%, then I turned off scheduled charging, after a few minutes I heard the wall connector clunking as the charge was trying to float from slightly below 80% to its set level. Definitely confirmed on the software issue.

I've been having the same charging/stopping problem for a while now with scheduled charging. It happened before build 44 but only if the SOC was below 50% and plugging in at 9 pm. Starting at build 44, it happens no matter what SOC and if the car starts out in a deep sleep. I usually wake the car with the WC button, wait for the charger door to open, and then press the button again to get the white light. Using this process, the charging will always fail (TeslaFi logs confirm it attempts to start at the appropriate time to start charging). As stated above, I found that if I wake the car by opening the door first and let the screens light up, then close the door, then insert the WC connector, all is well in the morning.

I agree with one of the posters above that this is a software issue with scheduled (and Depart At) charging that they should be able to fix. It seems to be an incomplete wake up issue.