Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC compressor & Receiver dryer/desiccant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
The ac compressor on my ‘18 model s is pretty loud and we decided to take it in to have it checked and replaced. One, not crazy about the diagnosis fee but whatever.
Second, they came back with the report that we need to replace the ac compressor (what I told them all along) and they also recommended that I replace the receiver dryer and desiccant.
I asked to only replace the compressor and their response was that they will not perform the work unless I agree to replace the dryer and desiccant as well and it will impact the warranty?!?
I don’t mind the bs fees but I feel like I shouldn’t be forced to perform work that I don’t agree with.
Anyone with similar experience or should I take it to another Tesla service center?

Hello,
The ac compressor on my ‘18 model s is pretty loud and we decided to take it in to have it checked and replaced. One, not crazy about the diagnosis fee but whatever.
Second, they came back with the report that we need to replace the ac compressor (what I told them all along) and they also recommended that I replace the receiver dryer and desiccant.
I asked to only replace the compressor and their response was that they will not perform the work unless I agree to replace the dryer and desiccant as well and it will impact the warranty?!?
I don’t mind the bs fees but I feel like I shouldn’t be forced to perform work that I don’t agree with.
Anyone with similar experience or should I take it to another Tesla service center?
A year or so ago I had preventative maintenance performed on my 2016 90D: replaced the dryer and desiccant as the A/C was always gurgling. That solved the problem, however, on the trip back to FL from OH where I had the work done the compressor failed. I believe that someone didn't connect some fitting properly and the system leaked coolant and the compressor failed. Of course I could not get Tesla to accept that may have happened even from the strait shooters at the location where I had purchased the car and had it serviced. I got a warning that a/c output was reduced and supercharging might not be possible. I was able to make the last supercharger before home but I am convinced that my stupidity in not towing it home probably didn't help the battery with the reduced cooling available. Just a thought. The dissident and receiver dryer should be a small fraction of the cost of compressor replacement. Personally, I would do it but I'm not a mechanic (but I do play one on this forum).:)

Upvote 0
I think every car company would recommend a new desiccant with a compressor replacement. I don't think it's a BS job. It is supposed to be replaced every 3-4 years anyway. Let's say the compressor had a leak (or a leak was the cause of the compressor failure), the desiccant is likely compromised and without replacement, the compressor may not last very long. I can see why they would not warranty the work without desiccant replacement.

Upvote 0
The purpose of the dryer and desiccant is to remove moisture in the system which gets in with evacuation and opening the system to work on it. Even leaving the system on a vacuum for a long time prior to recharging it can’t remove all the moisture and the dryer and desiccant can’t be dehydrated and used again so they must be replaced. This is standard procedure for all AC systems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Frequency for replacing the AC desiccant actually varies quite a bit between different Tesla Models per their official maintenance recommendations. It is actually recommended every 2 years for a 2012-2020 Model S every 3 years for newer 2021/later Model S, and as long as 6 years for the Model 3. So you need to pay attention to the details. The 2012-2020 Model S comment is actually in the small print below the table shown on Tesla's website with the maintenance recommendations.

Reactions: Droschke
Upvote 0
Frequency for replacing the AC desiccant actually varies quite a bit between different Tesla Models per their official maintenance recommendations. It is actually recommended every 2 years for a 2012-2020 Model S every 3 years for newer 2021/later Model S, and as long as 6 years for the Model 3. So you need to pay attention to the details. The 2012-2020 Model S comment is actually in the small print below the table shown on Tesla's website with the maintenance recommendations.

All true. But that assumes the system remains sealed between maintenance intervals.

If it’s evacuated and opened to the atmosphere (like it is in the case of a compressor replacement) you should pretty much always replace the desiccant bag as a matter of course. It’s a $6 part.

Upvote 0
All true. But that assumes the system remains sealed between maintenance intervals.

If it’s evacuated and opened to the atmosphere (like it is in the case of a compressor replacement) you should pretty much always replace the desiccant bag as a matter of course. It’s a $6 part.
I agree replacement anytime there is major repair to the system it also makes sense. My post was reacting to other comments in this thread about it only needs replacement every 3-4 years, where the vintage Model S that the OP references would be every 2 years preventative maintenance. Given most owners likely don't pay attention to that and haven't had it replaced in the past 2 years (I actually represent that comment at the moment!), good chance it might have been due to replacement anyway in addition to the justification of the system having been opened.

Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
Got a 2016 Model X 90D. I had my compressor replaced in August of 2022. It looks like TESLA service center did NOT replace dryer and desiccant at the time. The bill was 1800+. It's January 2023 now and my AC went down again. They will comp the new compressor, but my bill is still almost 1400 bucks for dryer and desiccant and AC flush! Am I dreaming or is there anyone else out there that spends almost or over 1500 Dollars every 5 months for his/her TESLA? My TESLA service center charges $205.00 an hour on labor...I don't even make that much in 4hrs!

Reactions: KirkS85
Upvote 0
On my Dec-2016 S, at about 3 years I had a brake fluid flush, a new cabin filter and desiccant replaced by Tesla. This was back in 2019. The total cost for all that was $363. A little preventive maintenance can go a long way to reducing future costs. None of those items are required, but they are recommended every 3 years or so.

@Grey Fox - Strange if Tesla did not replace the dryer and desiccant the first time. I assume it's not on the first invoice? I thought it was required with any compressor replacement. If it was left out, it might have been the cause of the early compressor failure. Likely too late to do anything about it now.

Upvote 0
The parts warranty is 12 months / 12k miles. Have you driven more than 12k miles since the first repair?
I drove 4K miles since the AC repair which happened 5 months ago. I went to a TESLA service center today and they said I should go back to the place that originally performed the service....basically; "It's not our problem". They gave me a phone number but that was only the auto-answer system. I've tried to communicate thru the TESLA App on my phone, laying out all the facts, but I have not gotten an answer back in the last 72hrs. All I have in my inbox is an estimate for 1300 Dollars that is waiting for approval.

Upvote 0
Yep, I'd expect they should repair it all without cost. But my opinion doesn't influence Tesla. Still, you might talk to the manager about reversing the charges. Seems like it should all be covered.
That's my opinion too. However..I went to a different TESLA service outlet yesterday and they basically said, I have to go back to the original place of repair, it's not their problem. I had all my receipts plus the new estimate with me and was told that the new estimate may say compressor exchange, but the parts are all different...that's why I'm being charged. I didn't buy that answer, but the service manager didn't even come out to talk to me, he send one of his front counter people. I finally realized that I'm talking to a pretty uncooperative bunch of people and left. We only have three TESLA service centers in Phoenix and they are 50+ miles apart. It feels like I'm wasting my time to even try the third one.

Upvote 0