Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC problems and outrageous billing attempts by TESLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a 2016 Model X 90D. I had my compressor replaced in August of 2022. It looks like TESLA service center did replace compressor, dryer and desiccant at the time...also did a "flush" as recommended in their maintenance. The bill was 1800+. It's January 2023 now and my AC went down again. They will comp the new compressor, but still bill me for dryer, desiccant and flush! My bill is still almost 1400 bucks for dryer and desiccant and AC flush...those should still be under warranty! Isn't there anyone looking at prior repair logs? The question is: am I dreaming or is there anyone else out there that spends almost or over 1500 Dollars every 5 months for his/her TESLA? Btw...my TESLA service center in Tempe, AZ charges $205.00 an hour on labor...I don't even make that much in 4hrs!

.......A bunch of stuff about AIR drying systems that refers to "air through the system"..........

All of that is true for the AIR suspension system which is not sealed, but is completely unrelated to a properly sealed and always pressurized refrigerant plumbing system. The desiccant is not "worn out" in these b/c once it handles the initial drying of whatever might remain after a proper vacuum evacuation... There is no further gain of moisture inside the system. It is not a maintenance item unless something ELSE happens and the system is opened to atmosphere.

Reactions: RSpanner and Genie
Upvote 0
All of that is true for the AIR suspension system which is not sealed, but is completely unrelated to a properly sealed and always pressurized refrigerant plumbing system. The desiccant is not "worn out" in these b/c once it handles the initial drying of whatever might remain after a proper vacuum evacuation... There is no further gain of moisture inside the system. It is not a maintenance item unless something ELSE happens and the system is opened to atmosphere.

you make a reasonable point.

Upvote 0
Attached is my updated estimate, now over $3600! 🤯
I could be wrong, but it looks like they built that quote as all independent operations, with each one requiring the draining and refilling of the refrigerant. There should be a combined full system service that is priced much lower than that.

The "A/C Refrigerant Flush Due To Compressor Failure (Dual Motor) (NA)" procedure appears to be that and is almost 4 hours, as it covers replacing a bunch of stuff that they are quoting separately as well:

1692291954146.png

Parts pricing wouldn't change, but I think the labor costs should drop by about $1,700. (Essentially it looks like they are charging for the same labor two, or more, times to me.)

edit: @el ahrairah From the service manual:
1692293628331.png

So they need to remove the following labor items, as they are all contained in the "A/C Refrigerant Flush Due To Compressor Failure (Dual Motor) (NA)" procedure:
  • A/C Compressor (Dual Motor)(Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace: $483.60
  • Receiver Dryer and Desiccant(Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace: $425.70
  • TXV Valve Evaporator (Remove& Replace) - Remove and Replace: $580.50
  • Battery Chiller and EXVAssembly (Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace: $322.50
So $1,812.30 of labor should come off of that estimate. (At least as far as I can tell.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it's on the service writers. If you use their stupid app to request service, the system / remote support seems to predictively decide what you will need for parts based on what you say. Then even though the service writers / whoever is communicating through the messaging will tell you that they will only use / charge you for what is actually needed.... Miraculously it will be EVERYTHING that was predicted in advance. They LOVE billing for replacing entire systems, and won't give you back the old parts to prove what they changed. That kind of system is ripe for exactly this type of abuse.

Reactions: RSpanner
Upvote 0
I could be wrong, but it looks like they built that quote as all independent operations, with each one requiring the draining and refilling of the refrigerant. There should be a combined full system service that is priced much lower than that.

The "A/C Refrigerant Flush Due To Compressor Failure (Dual Motor) (NA)" procedure appears to be that and is almost 4 hours, as it covers replacing a bunch of stuff that they are quoting separately as well:

View attachment 965825

Parts pricing wouldn't change, but I think the labor costs should drop by about $1,700. (Essentially it looks like they are charging for the same labor two, or more, times to me.)

edit: @el ahrairah From the service manual:
View attachment 965833
So they need to remove the following labor items, as they are all contained in the "A/C Refrigerant Flush Due To Compressor Failure (Dual Motor) (NA)" procedure:
  • A/C Compressor (Dual Motor)(Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace: $483.60
  • Receiver Dryer and Desiccant(Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace: $425.70
  • TXV Valve Evaporator (Remove& Replace) - Remove and Replace: $580.50
  • Battery Chiller and EXVAssembly (Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace: $322.50
So $1,812.30 of labor should come off of that estimate. (At least as far as I can tell.)
I have simmilar issue and am being charged extra for the compressor and desiccant bag install even though the ac refrigerant flush due to compressor failure is already charged as labor. I called and spoke to manager who says the flush alone take almost 4 hours as its big system and that labor does not include the other stuff which is why all billed separately

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Upvote 0