Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM HEPA filters done after 1~ year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grease filters are made from metal - typically, aluminum or stainless steel mesh. They are designed to be washed.

HEPA filters are typically made from plastic or glass fibers sometimes held together with a binder and sometimes coated. Washing a HEPA filter or even getting it wet can clog it or ruin its ability to filter.
According to the OP the filters already have no ability to filter the air, so I see no downside as they are useless now anyway. Or he can not try anything and spend $300. BTW, there is a no-scent version of this product.

Reactions: Umar96
Someone explain what the additional cabin filter does. I realize the hepa filter is a very fine filter and removes very small particles however the cabin filter is not hepa and therefor has less filtration or allows larger particle through compared to a hepa so what purpose does it serve if the fine filtration is done prior?
There's no need to spend $300 when the filters are $90 and easy to replace by anyone who has ever used a screwdriver. :)

Some people cannot even fill washer fluid or are to lazy to do so. ;)

Someone explain what the additional cabin filter does. I realize the hepa filter is a very fine filter and removes very small particles however the cabin filter is not hepa and therefor has less filtration or allows larger particle through compared to a hepa so what purpose does it serve if the fine filtration is done prior?
The HEPA filters filter only "fresh" air coming from outside the vehicle.

The non-HEPA filters filter air that has already been filtered by the HEPA filters and recirculated air coming from inside the vehicle.

The HEPA filters are not used in recirculation mode, but the non-HEPA filters are still beneficial to filter out larger particles such as dust, pollen, and dander.

Last edited:
Okay - you are mistaken. ;)

Outside air always flows through the HEPA filters. All BDM does is select outside air and maximum fan speed to pressurize the cabin as much as possible. You can accomplish the same thing as BDM by manually selecting outside air and maximum fan speed.

Reactions: brkaus and Big Earl
Okay - you are mistaken. ;)

Outside air always flows through the HEPA filters. All BDM does is select outside air and maximum fan speed to pressurize the cabin as much as possible. You can accomplish the same thing as BDM by manually selecting outside air and maximum fan speed.

Correct. Outside/fresh air always goes through the HEPA filter. BDM sets the system in fresh mode and sets the fan speed to (iirc) 8/10.

• Helpful
Reactions: zroger73
Just FYI replacing the HEPA filters in the frunk fixed my smelly AC issue. For a few months I have been dealing with a smelly AC on start up especially during the summer time or when it rains. I replaced the cabin filter and cleaned the evaporator coil but the smell didn't go away. I checked the HEPA filters in the frunk and the top filters were extremely dirty with leaves and other material. The inner filters in the frunk looked ok but I went ahead and replaced both top and bottom filters in the frunk. I used the BASENOR HEPA filters and they are working fine so far with no smells anymore.

Just FYI replacing the HEPA filters in the frunk fixed my smelly AC issue. For a few months I have been dealing with a smelly AC on start up especially during the summer time or when it rains. I replaced the cabin filter and cleaned the evaporator coil but the smell didn't go away. I checked the HEPA filters in the frunk and the top filters were extremely dirty with leaves and other material. The inner filters in the frunk looked ok but I went ahead and replaced both top and bottom filters in the frunk. I used the BASENOR HEPA filters and they are working fine so far with no smells anymore.
How old were the filters? Mine looked like new after a year and a half. I do park in a garage, so that may be part of it.

After almost a year and 17,000 miles, I recently noticed the HVAC blower seemed to be running faster and louder than it has in the past on a mild day when the system was using 100% fresh air.

I noticed that when I manually selected recirculated air, the blower speed and noise dropped significantly and the volume of air coming out of the vents was much higher.

This means that my HEPA filters have become loaded and are restricting air flow.

I also noticed that I recently began smelling outside odors such as skunk and smoke inside the cabin on occasion for the first time.

This means that the activated carbon in the filters has also reached the end of its effective life.

Given that Tesla recommends replacing the HEPA filters every 3 years and the cabin filters every 2 years, I was surprised they only lasted a year and 17,000 miles. However, I do use Camp Mode about an hour each day, so my filters have seen the equivalent of about 34,000 miles of use (or more when you consider the length of time that "evaporator drying mode" runs after exiting the vehicle during which time air is flowing through all of the filters).

$90+tax for HEPA filters and $34+tax for cabin filters is a bit much, but I suppose it is worth 37¢/day for clean, odorless air. :)