Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I set my model Y AC on auto and have observed few things. Can you please share wisdom if this is normal.

* On auto settings, the fan speed continue to show low no matter what the outside and inside temperature is. Sometimes I do hear fan speed go up but there is no consistent pattern to it, regardless the display continues to show ‘low’. Is this the expected behavior? It changes when I increase the speed though

* even if the outside temperature is 91F, the audible fan sound at a temperature setting of 69f is slow, until I change it to something around 66f. Is that expected?

I thought of taking an appointment to get it checked but always got worried for having to leave the car for weeks at the service center with no loaner.

Any guidance is appreciated

Reactions: beachmiles
In the Auto setting the Fan Speed control functions as a speed limiter, i.e. when set to Low then the fan speed will not increase automatically above speed of ~3 (estimated.) If the Fan Speed is set to Med then the fan speed can vary automatically as required from 1 to perhaps a speed of ~6. When the fan speed is set to Hi then the fan speed can vary between 1 and 10 (maximum.) You would probably be more comfortable with the fan speed set to Med or Hi. (Note: When not in Auto mode the fan speed control can be used to set the fan speed numerically from 1 to 10 (as you would expect a fan speed control to operate.)

Reasons why you might want to limit the fan speed to Low or Med might include if you frequently use the Tesla Model Y's hands free microphone while talking on your phone, while watching movies while parked or while sleeping. (The fan can be loud at the higher speed settings.) There could be a small energy savings by limiting the fan speed to Low.

The fan speed setting in HVAC Auto mode (Low, Med, Hi) may be linked to the driver's profile so save any HVAC settings changes by saving your profile once you have set the fan speed limiter the way you prefer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought of taking an appointment to get it checked but always got worried for having to leave the car for weeks at the service center with no loaner.

Any guidance is appreciated
You can customize the left scroll wheel to adjust the fan speed.

Go to Controls --> Display --> Scroll Wheel Functions. Select fan speed. Long press the left scroll wheel to bring up a small menu with "High" "Medium" and "Low". Move the wheel up and down to select the fan speed you want.

This is great IMO, giving us back some manual control.

Upvote 0
Its been over 100 degrees here in parts of SoCal. I have always had the climate on Auto and the fan on Low. When its very hot the fan seems to be pretty powerful and It never stays hot in the car for long... It still seems to adjust to whats needed regardless of the lo meedium and high settings.

I know someone here said he limits the fan depending on the speed but I dont really see that.... If that was the case it would stay damn hot in a 108 degree day nd thats not the case...

Upvote 0