Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC stays on when walk away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if anyone else has this issue on their Model X? When I get to my destination I walk away, the doors lock well most of the time but thats another topic for another day, but the AC will keep running. I had the Tesla mobile, which are useless because this one guy I always seem to get stuck with finds an obscure sentence in the manual and say thats why and leaves.. Example: My car says destination on right when I open the door and I am home. He said that the screen says that its going to navigate to my destination because I have the option to navigate based on my calendar. So since I am home Tesla tells me that I am, WHAT BS!

He said that the AC is staying on because the battery is hot and needs it to cool down. I got home today and the AC ran for over an hour until I shut it off via the APP. He told me the car will run for 2,3 8 hours if it needs to so to cool the battery pack down. I asked him so it will run until the battery dies, he said thats a Tesla. I told him My 3, Y or loaner S never did it and is response was no Tesla is the same you can have 5 model X's and none of them operate the same because they are all on different software and left.

My guess would be either the seat sensor or door sensor faulty...
Do screens turn off when car locks or when u walk away?
I know on mine AC keeps running if driver seat is occupied or any doors are open but as soon as i close doors (even w/o locking) it shuts off AC n screens.

WIthout getting into a discussion of OP's mobile service technician...

I have noticed sometimes a whirring noise that could be the climate control system running for some time after I've left my X (2022 LR X). If i come back to the car, open the driver door, and immediately shut it, the noise stops. I haven't really investigated this at length though.

Bruce.

My guess would be either the seat sensor or door sensor faulty...
Do screens turn off when car locks or when u walk away?
I know on mine AC keeps running if driver seat is occupied or any doors are open but as soon as i close doors (even w/o locking) it shuts off AC n screens.
Thank you for your reply - Sometimes the doors lock sometimes they dont, that is something else they are looking into. But 70% of the time the doors lock, windows roll up, I have a dog that like to put his head out of the window so i drive around town with back window open and AC on for me, and AC will shut off. the other 30% its hit or miss on the doors locking but the AC doesnt shut off if the doors lock or not. I havent looked at the screen, I will next time I drive it.

WIthout getting into a discussion of OP's mobile service technician...

I have noticed sometimes a whirring noise that could be the climate control system running for some time after I've left my X (2022 LR X). If i come back to the car, open the driver door, and immediately shut it, the noise stops. I haven't really investigated this at length though.

Bruce.

Thank you for your reply, The climate control system does kick on if I leave the car outside, but when this happens it is after a drive and the cabin temp is 75 degrees according to the app. So my assumption is that it is the car AC. I have been documenting the dates and times this happens so they can look at the log and see whats going on. I have a in shop appointment this Friday,

Reactions: bmah
The AC and the battery fans sound very similar. When I get to my destination and put it in park, when I hear the fan noise, I now shut off the heat/AC from the touchscreen. If I do hear fan noise after that, it IS the batteries cooling down and that tends to only last for a few minutes (10-15 minutes).

If I forget to manually turn off the heat/AC, it will occasionally turn on the fans (the heat/AC) when I walk near the car and I've left the windows down in the garage. It seems like the heat/AC will stay on quite awhile in that scenario, so I just always manually shut off the heat/AC when I hear the fans unexpectedly. Pretty random and a minor inconvenience.

So to troubleshoot, I would manually turn off the heat/AC when exiting the car and see if you still keep hearing the fans running for long periods. Then you'll know for sure it is something to do with the battery cooling - and that should not stay on any longer than 15 minutes by my experience.

One more thought: cabin overheat protection will turn on the AC too. I've definitely heard that turn on the AC on a hot day. That also lasts just long enough to cool the cabin back down.

Reactions: jboy210
The AC and the battery fans sound very similar. When I get to my destination and put it in park, when I hear the fan noise, I now shut off the heat/AC from the touchscreen. If I do hear fan noise after that, it IS the batteries cooling down and that tends to only last for a few minutes (10-15 minutes).

If I forget to manually turn off the heat/AC, it will occasionally turn on the fans (the heat/AC) when I walk near the car and I've left the windows down in the garage. It seems like the heat/AC will stay on quite awhile in that scenario, so I just always manually shut off the heat/AC when I hear the fans unexpectedly. Pretty random and a minor inconvenience.

So to troubleshoot, I would manually turn off the heat/AC when exiting the car and see if you still keep hearing the fans running for long periods. Then you'll know for sure it is something to do with the battery cooling - and that should not stay on any longer than 15 minutes by my experience.

One more thought: cabin overheat protection will turn on the AC too. I've definitely heard that turn on the AC on a hot day. That also lasts just long enough to cool the cabin back down.
The cabin overheat on our X can run the A/C for a while after parking in the garage on a hot summer day. 20-30 minutes sometimes. Which kind of makes sense. If you don't have moving air in the garage, the air in the garage gets heated by the heat pumped from the cabin. We have started leaving the garage side door open a bit in the summer.

Thank you for the reply - It is definitely the AC on, I can see it on the app cooling the car, I also have heard other fans running which I am fine with, just the AC running for long periods is what I seem to have. If I manually turn it off they stay off, its an inconvenience but I am taking it in for something else and want them to look at this as well.

The cabin overheat on our X can run the A/C for a while after parking in the garage on a hot summer day. 20-30 minutes sometimes. Which kind of makes sense. If you don't have moving air in the garage, the air in the garage gets heated by the heat pumped from the cabin. We have started leaving the garage side door open a bit in the summer.
Thank you for your reply - so it sounds like the AC running is ok. My normal procedure is to pull in the driveway, get the service dog out, take him inside and come back out and the AC is still on. I manually turn it off and pull in the garage. If the AC is supposed to stay on to cool the battery down I am ok with that, I dont want to destroy the battery. Is the X different than the Y and 3 because that never happened, but this is a bigger battery? Im in South FL so every day is hot especially this time of the year.

Thank you for your reply - so it sounds like the AC running is ok. My normal procedure is to pull in the driveway, get the service dog out, take him inside and come back out and the AC is still on. I manually turn it off and pull in the garage. If the AC is supposed to stay on to cool the battery down I am ok with that, I dont want to destroy the battery. Is the X different than the Y and 3 because that never happened, but this is a bigger battery? Im in South FL so every day is hot especially this time of the year.
Our X seems to run more often than our 3, so there is some difference for us. But our 3 is 2019 and the X is 2022, so it may be a change in technology between the years.