Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Turns off when Driver Leaves while Back Passenger is in the back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But in camp mode I believe walking away does not lock the car? We always use dog mode when I leave my wife in the car while I run an errand. Why do we need another setting that does exactly the same thing but labelled differently for sensitive passengers?
I always lock the car manually from the app, because I find the walk-away lock to be too unreliable, in that the distance that it locks can vary greatly. (I don't fault Tesla for this, as my previous job involved trying to solve this exact use case with automotive OEMs, so I already know why this is the case.

With that being said, I don't think dog mode leaves the radio on, so I tend to always use camp mode when people are in the car, not dog mode.

So this probably isn’t safe and my wife would kill me. But a lot of times if I’m dropping my daughter off and I need to run into a place like Starbucks to pick up a mobile order. I’ll close the door get out, close it part of the way so it’s on the first latch but not fully closed. It keeps the AC (including back) and radio running, and the car can’t be driven because the phone isn’t there. It’s not ideal but for short running in works to not interrupt the rear passengers.

Note I only do this if I’ll be gone less then a minute and am in full view of the car the entire time. But I probably shouldn’t as I think I’ve seen enough tv show and movies that start out that way...

edit: the doors are not locked if you do this, they’re still “open” according to the car.
Im surprised you don't use dog mode when your name is literally dog mode. haha

Reactions: dogmodes