Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a few quick runs, most were in the 3.7x range.
757F1BEA-C420-404D-9C1D-91111C378052.jpeg

For anyone interested, here are my results for pre- and post-boost upgrade at ~45% and 90-95% SOC. I compared my car (Oct 2018 build with 18.9k miles) to Wugz before and after numbers. For each test, I was about 30-34 degrees Celsius for inverter and stator temps, as well as battery and coolant inlet temps. The data was recorded in TesLax and entered into the graph below.

The results - I was lower than his test car in all before and after tests (but within ~2% across the board) except the AWD+ rear motor max power figures. All-in-all, I'm happy with the noticeable increase in peak power, particularly full throttle pulls from 20mph+. As you can see, there's still a 19% delta in the AWD+ vs P cars.
AWD+ vs AWD w: Wugz.png

For anyone interested, here are my results for pre- and post-boost upgrade at ~45% and 90-95% SOC. I compared my car (Oct 2018 build with 18.9k miles) to Wugz before and after numbers. For each test, I was about 30-34 degrees Celsius for inverter and stator temps, as well as battery and coolant inlet temps. The data was recorded in TesLax and entered into the graph below.

The results - I was lower than his test car in all before and after tests (but within ~2% across the board) except the AWD+ rear motor max power figures. All-in-all, I'm happy with the noticeable increase in peak power, particularly full throttle pulls from 20mph+. As you can see, there's still a 19% delta in the AWD+ vs P cars.View attachment 560648
So if I’m reading that right, my suspicion is confirmed the AWD+ makes more power at 45% SOC than the non boost does at 90-95%. I thought it felt very strong still when I was driving at 48-50% yesterday and was curious, this seems to prove it.

The results - I was lower than his test car in all before and after tests (but within ~2% across the board) except the AWD+ rear motor max power figures. All-in-all, I'm happy with the noticeable increase in peak power, particularly full throttle pulls from 20mph+. As you can see, there's still a 19% delta in the AWD+ vs P cars.View attachment 560648
What was the difference before?
If After is 19%.

What was the difference before?
If After is 19%.
Updated numbers are below, I took the kids out this morning and apparently having them yell " 3-2-1-Go" netted me some better numbers (likely due to warmer battery and motors).

The difference in percentage terms for my AWD pre-boost vs the P model is as follows - Front (-52.1%), Rear (-16.2%), Total (-32.8%).

AWD+ vs AWD w: Wugz.png

So the boost is only making the front motor work harder while the rear motor is doing about the same..
Then repeated accelerations should not contribute to increased Rear drive unit failures.
Yes - the front motor max power was increased by about 30kW but it’s still putting out about 30kW less than the P. The rear 980 motor on the P and older AWDs is capable of 265kW so this is 40kW less than that. For those with newer 990 rear motors I’m not sure what the max would be...

I think this leaves some hope that there can be another performance boost +30kW by further increasing the front motor power. Although, I’m not getting my hopes up.

Absolutely. The rear motor power is actually reduced on the boosted program. There’s for sure more on the table. Maybe when they give the P3 Ludicrous, when S and X go plaid, our AWDs will reach current P levels.