Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably could easily add the Inverter to this too. Another problem may be if you take it in for OTHER warrantee work Tesla might require an update to service the car. So this could in effect void your warrantee.

Stage 2 would 100% eliminate getting any service at tesla- under warranty or otherwise- they're not going to work on a car they can't access and can't put the newest firmware on- no more than Apple will work on your jailbroken old-firmware iphone.

The difference being you can always choose to "un"jailbreak your iphone and (maybe) rejailbreak after repair, without needing to travel back to the northeast to a specific garage and paying them addition $ to make it happen.

I thought the Boost 50 doesn't void any warranties and is just a dongle you plug in to the OBD2 tap that they provide. You can unplug it anytime you want.

So first- nothing can "void" a new car warranty (other than a salvage title)

The way the law works is- if you mod your car (and Boost 50 is 100% absolutely a mod)- and if the mod causes a problem- then that problem is not required to be covered by the warranty.

The rest of the warranty remains in place.

So if say you have a failed drive unit- they could potentially claim your mod caused it and refuse to fix it under warranty.

But if your bumper randomly falls off because Tesla didn't attach it correctly- that's still covered.

Yes you can unplug it- but regardless of EG claiming it's "undetectable" Tesla can very easily detect you're using it if they wish to.... several methods for doing so have already been mentioned.

They could also likely push a software update that disables the device any time they wish and you're not gonna get a refund from EG if they do.

Hence why spending the extra $900 for the "Tesla approved" boost makes more sense to most folks.

Went to my dad's (rural) and get a good 0-60 and was able to do a ¼ mile too.

IMG_4658.png

IMG_4657.png

So first- nothing can "void" a new car warranty (other than a salvage title)

The way the law works is- if you mod your car (and Boost 50 is 100% absolutely a mod)- and if the mod causes a problem- then that problem is not required to be covered by the warranty.

The rest of the warranty remains in place.

So if say you have a failed drive unit- they could potentially claim your mod caused it and refuse to fix it under warranty.

But if your bumper randomly falls off because Tesla didn't attach it correctly- that's still covered.

Yes you can unplug it- but regardless of EG claiming it's "undetectable" Tesla can very easily detect you're using it if they wish to.... several methods for doing so have already been mentioned.

They could also likely push a software update that disables the device any time they wish and you're not gonna get a refund from EG if they do.

Hence why spending the extra $900 for the "Tesla approved" boost makes more sense to most folks.

Yeah this is more like a $300 item like the COBB Accessports for my WRX. $1100 is too much for the same thing Tesla can give you.

Yeah this is more like a $300 item like the COBB Accessports for my WRX. $1100 is too much for the same thing Tesla can give you.

Yeah a co worker buddy just put a $300 device on his Golf GTI good for 80hp and removable at any time.

I talked with Electrified Garage and asked that since I already have Boost from Tesla, would I be able to get a discount on the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 since I essentially already have Stage 1 and they straight up said no. For something aftermarket like this, which already has very limited support and blocks updates and could potentially harm warranty - I'm surprised they wouldn't split the difference.

Yeah a co worker buddy just put a $300 device on his Golf GTI good for 80hp and removable at any time.

I talked with Electrified Garage and asked that since I already have Boost from Tesla, would I be able to get a discount on the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 since I essentially already have Stage 1 and they straight up said no. For something aftermarket like this, which already has very limited support and blocks updates and could potentially harm warranty - I'm surprised they wouldn't split the difference.

Yeah it's gonna be awhile before anyone touches this. If stage 3 comes out for the P then maybe more people will step up to the plate bc essentially the AWD owners can piggyback on the software development. Sorry 990 guys.

I’ve tweeted Elon for the longest time just to get a bump. Took almost a year to get it and now that I got it.... I want MOAR!

As someone who’s owned and driven many crazy fast cars, you always eventually get used to the speed and upgrades. The need for moar never goes away. That said, I love my car and I’d love to have the fastest version of it....and track mode.

As someone who’s owned and driven many crazy fast cars, you always eventually get used to the speed and upgrades. The need for moar never goes away. That said, I love my car and I’d love to have the fastest version of it....and track mode.

True. Traded my AWD for a P3D a few weeks ago, and the P3D is starting to feel normal already o_O

I did my part. If it doesn’t happen in the next 6 days I fear it never will. Please like it, retweet it, do your own, whatever. lol

https://twitter.com/geneleeds/status/1275987679184814080?s=21

View attachment 556025

What people would pay $4-6k on top of the boost option for another ~1/2 second? Are you willing to pay $6-8k to upgrade a AWD to a P-? Maybe if it was another $2-3k I'd consider it, but at that price point, I'd rather just trade in my car and buy a new P (but perhaps I'm biased because a new P in NJ with rebate can now be had for $50k out the door.

Funny that NY still is behind the times with EV rebates. Only $2k off.

The current spread between AWD and P is $8k. When I ordered it was much more.

I’d pay another $4k, over the $2k boost, to upgrade. Hell, many people pay $7k for FSD. This is at least something tangible! [mostly kidding] :)

Funny that NY still is behind the times with EV rebates. Only $2k off.

The current spread between AWD and P is $8k. When I ordered it was much more.

I’d pay another $4k, over the $2k boost, to upgrade. Hell, many people pay $7k for FSD. This is at least something tangible! [mostly kidding] :)

TN is in the stone ages. No rebates, and it costs *more* to register an EV than an ICE here. Also no EV exemption for HOV lanes (doesn't matter as HOV lanes are not enforced at all). In AZ there were no state rebates, but a 5 year registration was $50 and you got single driver HOV access as well.

And FWIW I paid just under $6k to trade up from my AWD to a slightly newer, lower mileage used P3D. @phantasms if you're willing to pony up another $4k you may want to keep your eyes out for similar opportunities.

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms