Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've seen it looks like people can really feel the difference between AWD and AWD Boost. For anyone that's tried it, do you feel significant difference between AWD Boost and Performance?

There are a number of videos comparing them. The main difference is at low speeds. I have not been able to compare them back to back personally, however, given the results on dragy, I am certain you will be able to tell the difference.

Above 60mph, they are nearly identical. From a standing start, the performance still wins by a few car lengths

From what I've seen it looks like people can really feel the difference between AWD and AWD Boost. For anyone that's tried it, do you feel significant difference between AWD Boost and Performance?
Yes - you feel it at full throttle and mainly above 20mph (I upgraded a week ago). It’s noticeably faster in my opinion but I don’t have before and after 0-60s, just CANbus data and butt dyno to make that determination. As 1.21 indicated, the P gets off the line a lot harder but doesn’t continue to pull much up top.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
The 11.75 in Dragy is when I was at the track back in May. My actual time slip was an 11.71. 11.68 seems pretty hard to believe if stock. He weighs 220, I weigh 175 and did that run with the back seat out plus all my other weight reduction mods. But then again if this latest 2020.24 software version is an improvement in torque / power as seems to be a possibility based on another thread, then I need to do some new runs and see if we got a free ninja power upgrade.

The 11.75 in Dragy is when I was at the track back in May. My actual time slip was an 11.71. 11.68 seems pretty hard to believe if stock. He weighs 220, I weigh 175 and did that run with the back seat out plus all my other weight reduction mods. But then again if this latest 2020.24 software version is an improvement in torque / power as seems to be a possibility based on another thread, then I need to do some new runs and see if we got a free ninja power upgrade.
I missed that, although I'm still stuck on 2020.20.17.....

My numbers for the AWD+ are inline with Wugz data from 6 months ago. What that tells me is the Boost version has not received any power bump, even on the most recent software (I'm on 2020.24.6.4). The P may have gotten a bump, but that will just put the delta further out between the two models. Either the car in the video is an unlocked P or it is truly a unicorn to have run better times than MagnusMako's numbers. I'd run my own but I don't own a Dragy or Vbox.

• Helpful
Did some 0-60 runs with the new 2020.24.6.4 software. I couldn’t tell any real difference in the 0-60 on average. Most were still mid 3.7x However I was able to set my best 0-60 on dragy. I also have 19” sport wheels and the windows were down.

So close to keeping up with magnusmako...

BD0F139D-1BFD-4363-A3DC-0FFDCC30976E.jpeg

Maybe answer is buried in the 106 pages but will ask again.

Does getting the boost make a difference similar to launching from 0-60 with 20% battery vs say 95% battery?

Dont want to have to deal with refunds and overall cost Tesla time or money just to test.

Maybe answer is buried in the 106 pages but will ask again.

Does getting the boost make a difference similar to launching from 0-60 with 20% battery vs say 95% battery?

Dont want to have to deal with refunds and overall cost Tesla time or money just to test.

Much more so, if you can believe it. With my boosted car near empty it’s still much faster than my AWD at 100%. It literally transforms the whole car. It makes it feel like a 1000lb weight reduction. If you’re even mildly interested you should get it. You’ll love it.

I didn't test 20%, but I tested about 45% SOC and the difference was about 25kW or 8.5%. The front motor puts out 18% more power at that SOC vs the non-boosted AWD model. So I agree with phantasms that its definitely noticeable at all states of charge.
At 20% my 0 to 60 is around 4.0 - 4.02. As good as non boosted at 100%. Quickly drops off after that. By 15% it feels like less than 50% output.

• Informative
From what I understand, power starts to reduce after around 40-45 mph based on SoC. Sasha from MountainPass Performance did a dyno test a year or two ago with the 3P which showed this in his charts. I'd imagine the results are pretty similar with the LR AWD. So you'll still get full power from 0-45 but after that it will start to drop, and ever more so the lower the SoC. You'll definitely notice the power reductions at the higher speeds.

• Informative
Much more so, if you can believe it. With my boosted car near empty it’s still much faster than my AWD at 100%. It literally transforms the whole car. It makes it feel like a 1000lb weight reduction. If you’re even mildly interested you should get it. You’ll love it.
Agree with this.

Granted I haven't gotten under 45% since I bought the boost, at 50%, the car still feels as strong as my non-boosted did at 80%, where as non-boosted at 50% it started to feel sluggish.

And the comment about the car feeling like it's lighter is true too, it feels a lot peppier at low speed, it's crazy.