Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Per Sales Representative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

In the process of purchasing model 3 long range and interested in the acceleration boost to bring it closer to the performance model driving experience.

Spoke with the sales rep during my test drive at Tesla, and she mentioned that the acceleration boost not only increases the 0 to 60 times but also unlocks heated steering wheel, heated rear seats and improved speaker sound.

I'm dubious that she knows what she's talking about tbh. She was very pushy towards getting me to put down a deposit immediately.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k
You cant buy the acceleration boost till after you take possession of the car, so the sales rep pushing you to order has zero to do with the acceleration boost.

None of what you are saying sounds correct to me, btw. A model 3 LR AWD comes with heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, and improved sound. Those will come through software updates that have nothing to do with purchasing or not purchasing the acceleration boost.

if you are NOT buying a LR AWD vehicle, there is no "official" acceleration boost that is purchasable. There is an aftermarket one, but that should not be something a tesla rep is talking about (although they might, if they are enthusiast types).

TL ; DR. Acceleration boost from tesla is only on LR AWD model 3s. has nothing to do with anything but acceleration boost. Those other features come with the car. No other model has an official acceleration boost available, thus is not part of the discussion.

It’s on the app. Go to upgrades and then software upgrades. It currently shows as an available purchase on my app.
I don't see it. Will ask the service centre tomorrow

IMG_0470.PNG

That's odd it says you have all the software upgrades. I see you are in London. Maybe acceleration boost is not available in the UK for some reason??
Could be. I was watching one of Bjorn's videos, where he has a Model 3 in Thailand, from HK. He said Acceleration Boost wasn't shown as available for purchase, until he moved his car to his non-HK account, then it magically showed up as available for purchase.

It bothers me that a Tesla sales rep would say this. Apparently they are getting more and more like ICE vehicle "Stealerships".

They were never much different.

Back when I test drove a 3 for the first time in mid 2018 (mine had already been on order since announcement date but was the first time local center physically had a 3 for anyone to drive and I still didn't have a VIN yet) the sales rep told me half a dozen flat out wrong bits of info about the vehicle

Several additional persons I dealt with throughout the sales and delivery process to eventually getting my car had misinformation to happily provide as if they knew what they were talking about too.

Which is entirely consistent with my experiences with legacy sales staff.

Actual service staff (the folks that work on the cars that is-both at the SCs and the rangers....but NOT the folks who schedule service who are also pretty incompetent) have been uniformly excellent though.

I did not go through the sales people, I ordered my car online and I test drove a coworker's car before. However, the local Tesla "dealership" organized a pretty thorough information session for soon-to-be owners. We were a group of around 20 at a time. There were videos along with a couple of people to do some presentations. They covered charging, the mobile app in detail etc. Initially I thought it was a loss of time but that's because I had done my homework like a respectable nerd that I am :) In that session as I was not learning much I could see that the people around me needed it, badly. They asked a lot of questions that were very well answered by the staff. I thought this was a global policy but I am now thinking that it must have been a local endeavor. I salute it, and from what I hear around here it should definitely be done everywhere.

3rd party answer to this. Works amazing!!

What happens to the acceleration boost when you sell the car? Does it add value to the sale for the new owner or just go "poof"?

It's part of the car, just like anything else added to it. So as long as you're selling to anybody except Tesla itself (who can change installed features on cars they own) it adds value to the sale.

How much? Depends on the buyer.

3rd party answer to this. Works amazing!!

FYI, several folks have reported it doesn't work with new cars that come with the new 16v battery and Ryzen MCU.

Plus as always Tesla has the ability to shut it down if they ever wish to do so- or suggest they might not cover certain things under warranty if this is installed and can potentially be blamed for the problem in question.

YMMV on if the savings are worth that to you or not.

Reactions: thesmokingman
FYI, several folks have reported it doesn't work with new cars that come with the new 16v battery and Ryzen MCU.

Plus as always Tesla has the ability to shut it down if they ever wish to do so- or suggest they might not cover certain things under warranty if this is installed and can potentially be blamed for the problem in question.

YMMV on if the savings are worth that to you or not.
Works on. 22’ M3 LR 🤷🏽‍♂️
Warranty on all but screen normal. Removal takes 10 min of one has an issue 🤷🏽‍♂️

Works on. 22’ M3 LR 🤷🏽‍♂️

Do you have the 16v battery and Ryzen MCU? Because that, not model year, is what it does not work with.

Most 22s (which began shipping months ago) do not. But most NEW ones will.

Warranty on all but screen normal. Removal takes 10 min of one has an issue 🤷🏽‍♂️

Warranty on battery and drivetrain would also potentially be at risk.

Even if you remove it, it's not like Tesla can't know you had it.

Famously after the maker claimed it was "impossible" for Tesla to know, Tesla pushed out an update that specifically posted a message to users telling them they could tell it was there.

The maker then had to scramble to make new hardware that avoided the message. But there's still plenty of ways Tesla can know it's there, entirely via remote monitoring.

(the most obvious would be simply a line of code that records any time your car accelerates at a greater rate than its factory config says should be possible- there's nothing whatsoever the 3rd party can do to "block" detection like this).

As I say, it's YMMV on if those risks are worth the small cost savings vs buying it from Tesla instead.

Possibly of value to folks:

Post about someone who recently got locked out of using their car with having incompatible drive software with this mod, ended up having to remove and reapply SW update to correct.

and then starting from here:

Multiple posters confirming this mod physically does not work with the new Ryzen MCU and 16v battery.

Last edited: