Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration from 0-25.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd prefer to not have a car destroy itself from its own power.

Any manufacturer would agree they don’t want the car to self-destruct within the warranty period. However, if a car comes out of the factory with a certain acceleration, then the drivetrain should be manufactured beefy enough to handle that acceleration well past the warranty period. If the design is found insufficient to provide a reliable product under such acceleration, then dialing back the exhilaration is the logical alternative. I’ve modified enough cars to know that once the power exceeds the manufacturing specs significantly, things do break. Usually the things that break are expensive to replace, so the plan is to replace those parts before the break.

Screenshot_20180726-150534_dragy.jpg

From our experience driving non-P and P model S and X cars, the non-P cars are deliberately nerfed at 0mph launch. The acceleration from a roll is very very similar between a P and non-P, but from 0mph the non-P cars are always very underwhelming.

We've decided this is Tesla's way of differentiating the P cars to help justify the extra $
I agree with the differentiation. But my experience in driving both, as well as the data collected from over a hundred runlogs doesn't show a difference between roll and no roll and does show a difference between P and non-P in terms of fixed torque and acceleration, P being higher.

I also noticed that the acceleration "feels" much stronger when already going 30...I wonder if it is programming or some characteristic of the motor itself...I'd like to see someone run a series of dyno tests starting at different speeds in 5 mph increments...

Your perception matches the dyno curve drag times came up with. Unless there's a problem with their testing, the car apparently builds torque progressively until ~25 mph, not typical of other EVs:

Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dyno Testing

I'm not sure if that's a programmed limitation for some reason, or related to the fancy new partially switched reluctance motor design the 3 is supposed to have somehow...
This data does support the "building torque" theory. But the data itself is not completely consistent. The dyno has nearly linear power increase from 10mph which should mean constant acceleration from 10, not from 30. Also this data contradicts the car's own API reported data from the same period which is that the car has a fixed torque, constant acceleration period before reaching a max power limit that slowly declines.

...Somehow I think Tesla is limiting the starting current. I felt this change has occurred after 18.13, but I am not very certain as I only had few day before 18.13 update.
I don't have samples from after 18.3, but the limits before were torque limits. If the car had a power limit it isn't obvious since the motor design, voltage and current reach their limit before such a limit. The power limit is obvious in the S\X cars because there is this flat, fixed power range that only starts to decline at really high speeds. The inverter continually varies the current to reach the fixed torque at increasing speeds.

Lots of discussion on this in other threads. Indeed huge difference between my current P100D and my previous S85 from a standstill and not so much if both are rolling at 30 mph. TMC member Krash explained this as follows:
“There are four primary differences (P vs non-P). The chronological first is launch mode: the ability to torque load the motor. The second is the higher initial torque settings, particularly with the larger rear motor. The third is the higher max power setting. The fourth is the BackEMF profile with the larger rear motor.”
Thanks for the quote. Not sure what someone disagrees with there. To clarify, on the 3 it appears that on the RWD 3 the motor limits are reached before any power limit happens. Also, there is some chance that the the inverter switching from variable frequency to fixed frequency may contribute to the power decline where we thought it was mostly field weakening (back EMF)
Not having gotten our model 3 so i am not sure if this applies. But does it have a chill mode? If so, turn that off, as it intentionally reduces acceleration from a standstill.
It does have a chill mode which on other models simply reduces the fixed torque setting, which in turn reduces the power acceleration.

...If the design is found insufficient to provide a reliable product under such acceleration, then dialing back the exhilaration is the logical alternative...
This got Tesla into trouble when they dialed back the P90DL. If Tesla did dial the car back for reliability, for positioning purposes or for any other reason, I think the community have a responsibility to make those changes transparent.

So even the dual motor version of the P3D has a 1/2 second lag before full acceleration - that seems similar to non-P S models - as does the 0-30 time? Or were you not getting on the pedal all in?
The API and CANBus have always reported linear initial acceleration (fixed torque) for all roadster, S, X and the initial 3 RWD.

Last edited: