Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration in 100D loaner vs. Ludicrous - disappointed. Any thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove a 2019 100D loaner for 1200 miles over two weeks. When I got my P85DL back it felt underwhelming in Ludicrous mode (max battery off and 85% SOC) vs. the loaner. Without max battery on it feels no faster than the 100D IMO. Does that sound right to anyone? Yes mine is very fast off the line and faster than the 100D in that regard, but from 20 to 50 or 50 to 80 the 100d pulls just as

100D’s have a real world 0-60mph of 3.6/3.7 sec, without any heating of battery required. The P85D will have a slight initial off the line advantage, however 20mph and up, essentially the same.

The P also has to have ludicrous enabled and Max battery enabled to really achieve their 3.2sec numbers.

The 100D max power is quite impressive for a non P car.

100D’s have a real world 0-60mph of 3.6/3.7 sec, without any heating of battery required. The P85D will have a slight initial off the line advantage, however 20mph and up, essentially the same.

The P also has to have ludicrous enabled and Max battery enabled to really achieve their 3.2sec numbers.

The 100D max power is quite impressive for a non P car.
Why is it that the 100d can do 3.6 with battery cold? Also I put max battery on yesterday for 20 min of 30 min warmup and my car felt so fking fast lol. Doesn’t have to be in “ready” state

The efforts Tesla went to differentiate the S from the 3 with you increased base options and performance really diminishes the value of the older cars.

I have a 2014 P85 and around when the 3 was rolling out they updated the 75D base car to be nearly as quick as my car that was top of the line a couple years earlier, and darn near the same range with AP hardware.

Yeah it kind of sucks that newer cheaper cars are a way better value, but at least they made improvements so come time to buy my next one in the future it will be a upgrade.

Reactions: tubaprde
The efforts Tesla went to differentiate the S from the 3 with you increased base options and performance really diminishes the value of the older cars.

I have a 2014 P85 and around when the 3 was rolling out they updated the 75D base car to be nearly as quick as my car that was top of the line a couple years earlier, and darn near the same range with AP hardware.

Yeah it kind of sucks that newer cheaper cars are a way better value, but at least they made improvements so come time to buy my next one in the future it will be a upgrade.
Yeah it’s tottaly nuts how fast they innovate! I’m happy with the value of mine however, came with 50k warranty and 4yrs for $53.3k

Yeah well I bought at the wrong time, bought a P85 in 2017 from a third party dealer. If I had waited a year I could have bought a CPO P85D for little more.

Cars are a waste of many anyway.
With the current performance of the late 75D cars and up I don't see those big leaps in performance happening again devaluing the slightly older stuff like happened to my car. Yes FSD will have some impact but I doubt it will be as drastic.

• Informative
Why is it that the 100d can do 3.6 with battery cold? Also I put max battery on yesterday for 20 min of 30 min warmup and my car felt so fking fast lol. Doesn’t have to be in “ready” state

I wouldn’t say it would achieve it with a ‘cold’ battery. More like a normal ambient temperature day. Ie. 16-18celcius

Also the battery charge would have to be 85% and higher.

But yes I’ve had P85D loaners and I own a 100D. I’ve found on average, the 100D doesn’t require any warm up period nor any loud fan noise to heat up the battery and achieve its max thrust. Sort of akin to a normally aspirated engine compared to a turbo which needs to spool and warm up I guess!

• Informative
Actually the Ludicrous upgrade cuts 0 to 60 ~ 0.2 seconds... and 0.2 (Max Battery OFF) to 0.5 (Max Battery ON) in the 1/4 mile:

Performance Gains after P85D Ludicrous Mode Upgrade

... and "found a noticeable increase in power at all speeds up to 80"

I don't have any data before or after from our January 2017 Ludicrous upgraded 2015 P85D+ but IMHO it definitely launches more brutal now... and definitely has more power at all speeds, especially in combination with the much lighter Arachnid wheels (replaced Turbines).

Any P85D should be faster with Ludicrous: Performance Gains after P85D Ludicrous Mode Upgrade

... and a Ludicrous P85D should be significantly faster than a 100D in any race from start to finish:

0 to 60:
  • 2.9 seconds P85D
  • 3.5 seconds 100D
This is where I would look for the 100D :cool:

IMG_2409.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Seven7 and P85_DA
Actually the Ludicrous upgrade cuts 0 to 60 ~ 0.2 seconds... and 0.2 (Max Battery OFF) to 0.5 (Max Battery ON) in the 1/4 mile:

Performance Gains after P85D Ludicrous Mode Upgrade

... and "found a noticeable increase in power at all speeds up to 80"

I don't have any data before or after from our January 2017 Ludicrous upgraded 2015 P85D+ but IMHO it definitely launches more brutal now... and definitely has more power at all speeds, especially in combination with the much lighter Arachnid wheels (replaced Turbines).

Any P85D should be faster with Ludicrous: Performance Gains after P85D Ludicrous Mode Upgrade

... and a Ludicrous P85D should be significantly faster than a 100D in any race from start to finish:

0 to 60:
  • 2.9 seconds P85D
  • 3.5 seconds 100D
This is where I would look for the 100D :cool:

View attachment 392208
Hahaha love it! Yeah I love my car too man.