Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accelerator more sensitive in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I imagining this, or is the accelerator more sensitive in reverse compared to drive?

In drive (creep off, obviously), I have no problem moving forward very, very gently.
In reverse, a tiny bit of foot movement seems to result in more acceleration than intended. Not dramatically, it's not like I'm going to crash uncontrollably into the car behind me, but it could be enough to gently bump it when parking in a very tight space.

I first thought it was brake hold being released, but it also happens when already gently reversing and then applying a tiny bit of extra pressure.

My ICE has manual transmission, feels way different so that's not it. Can't be a gear ratio difference since there is no reverse gear, the motor just spins the other way. Can't think of a technical reason why it would perform differently in the reverse direction.

Of course creep has to be off. Otherwise you're not using the accelerator to accelerate slowly, so you won't notice it.

At least two people on the Belgium/Netherlands forum confirm they noticed the same thing.

Obviously my Merc has a reverse gear with a different ratio, but it's a manual transmission, so while parking you're using the clutch more than the gas. It's so different that it wouldn't influence my experience with the Tesla.

In the Model 3, in drive, when I move my foot down on the accelerator a tiny little bit, the car just starts to move a tiny little bit. But in reverse, the same amount of pedal movement results in the car starting to move more quickly. If you only have a few inches to spare, this may result in bumping the car behind.

Strange how several Belgian and Dutch drivers have confirme they feel the same thing, yet here nobody does. Are you all using creep mode, perhaps? (Creep is less popular in Europe since we're not used to our cars starting to drive without any accelerator input)