Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensitivity of accelerator pedal in parking manouvres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Quickst

Nov 20, 2021
Sydney
In ICE vehicles with automatic transmission, parking manouvres are usually accomplished with foot on the brake with varying pedal pressure controlling vehicle movement. This also allows the driver to immediately brake when necessary

In non enchanced AP, the driver would have to use the accelerator pedal +/- brake pedal.

Experiences from current Tesla users appreciated for this matter comparing differences between Tesla and ICE in parking situations - especially reverse parks.

In ICE vehicles with automatic transmission, parking manouvres are usually accomplished with foot on the brake with varying pedal pressure controlling vehicle movement. This also allows the driver to immediately brake when necessary

In non enchanced AP, the driver would have to use the accelerator pedal +/- brake pedal.

Experiences from current Tesla users appreciated for this matter comparing differences between Tesla and ICE in parking situations - especially reverse parks.
Just use creep mode. You can then park only using the brake pedal.

Reverse took me a little longer to get used to. I initially reversed with much trepidation, both from the single pedal and reduced visibility than I was used to. Having got used to it I now reverse with confidence, but rely more on the mirrors now than I did in my previous vehicle. The response from the USS on my previous vehicle was more intuitive.

It's been a total non-issue for me, and I don't use creep mode. I've been able to adapt to the pedals to reverse-park, even while interspersed with still having to drive an ICE now and then.

The bigger issue for me is the visibility - the ICE cars I'm used to have better rear visibility, better than what the cameras of the Y provide...

Just takes a little getting used to. I have to back into and up a steep driveway and then into a garage with tight clearances. The first few times it felt scary but now my wife and I pull it off without a thought. I use chill mode, no creep, and my mirrors and backup camera. I have USS but don’t find it that useful.

It‘s funny, but it never occurred to me this was an issue until people started raising it in TMC recently. Thinking back, I can’t recall ever having to “get used to” using the accelerator pedal to reverse when I first got my Leaf in 2014 or Model 3 in 2019. 🤷‍♂️. What I do remember was liking was the infinite and precise control over low speed manoeuvers, something our previous manual ICE vehicles always struggled with. ICE vehicles (at least the ones we had) didn’t like going really, really slowly. Burn the clutch out.

I haven’t had an issue with low speed maneuvers with the throttle. Unless you have poor fine motor control of your foot then chill mode and/or creep mode will help.

It’s more so just getting used to controlling speed with the throttle vs brake pedal rather than sensitivity of the throttle. But I’m used to driving a manual transmission so maybe that was an easier transition for me.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I don't use creep mode or chill mode, and I've never had a problem with it (and I reverse park for preference). You don't need to use the brake - at parking speeds the car stops very quickly when you lift the accelerator.

(I also drove manuals nearly exclusively until getting the Tesla, FWIW).

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Never have a problem with the throttle sensitivity when parking either forward or reverse.
Can't stand creeping automatics. Very glad when I stepped in to the Model S and was given an option to turn it off! And the holding brake is teh magick.

Is it possible to have creep mode on reverse only? For me, that would be ideal. It would allow me to have my foot hovering over the brake pedal while it reverses at a constant speed while not affecting forward motion. I definitely do not want creep mode on when travelling forwards. I find reversing very much a stop start affair and reverse only creep mode might fix that.

Is it possible to have creep mode on reverse only? For me, that would be ideal. It would allow me to have my foot hovering over the brake pedal while it reverses at a constant speed while not affecting forward motion. I definitely do not want creep mode on when travelling forwards. I find reversing very much a stop start affair and reverse only creep mode might fix that.
Sadly not as an automatic setting. To get creep for reverse you would need to turn creep on when you wanted it and off again after.