Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accepted Delivery (2nd VIN) Today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll cut to the chase: I drove home today in my new Model Y (blue/black, Induction, no FSD) after refusing my initial delivery. Read on for how my 2nd delivery went and some tips you may find useful.

---

16 days ago I refused delivery of my Model Y and shared that experience on r/teslamotors. I had ordered my Model Y on March 19, 2019 and over a year later I was this close to driving home in a Model Y. But, as many people have experienced, the car was in pretty bad shape and I felt like I needed to refuse delivery and ask for a new VIN.

Fast forward to today, June 30. Last day of the 2nd quarter. I had a 2pm appointment for delivery. The VIN I was assigned was a 19xxx and the build date was June 2020. I did a few things different this time around:
  1. I requested a different Delivery Center (Bellevue, outside of Seattle).
  2. I brought a microfiber towel to better wipe surfaces and inspect paint.
  3. I took pictures.
I got to the delivery center 15 minutes early and I'm really glad I did. I saw a team of 3 Tesla employees finishing up a walk-around and spot detail of the car. A sales manager (red polo shirt) was managing this process, and I patiently waited until they were done before I walked over to begin my inspection.

The first person I spoke to started walking me through their process of first "accepting delivery on the website" and then using the app to open the car, but I explained I wanted to inspect the car first and asked them to help me open the doors. I got no pushback about this at all.

I had printed-out this checklist and began inspecting the car, starting at the driver-side and moving clockwise. The day was overcast, so the lighting wasn't great. While the car was quite clean, I still had to use my micro-fiber towel on pretty much every panel to double-check there wasn't a pain issue. After I had completed the outside review, I asked someone to open the car and proceeded to review the interior. Here are all of the items I took note of. To be super clear: this car, compared to what I've seen and read about, was in great condition. That's why I accepted delivery.

• Top plastic liner in the frunk was loose, not clipped-in properly.
  • Wiper make a "thunk" sound when coming down.
  • Two small paint chips/defects on passenger side.
  • Top seal on passenger doors popping out
  • Rear tail lights not seated properly
  • Driver rear wheel well liner not inserted properly
  • Some trim alignment issues
  • Pretty bad orange peel paint job (shrug)
I called over the sales manager and walked through all of these items. He agreed that they were all issues and asked me to schedule a service appointment to have them taken care of.

At the point I logged into the website, clicked "Accept Delivery", and then the next thing I new the Tesla app on my phone was show this Model Y. I signed the paperwork that had been left in the car for me and drove home.

After I wrap-up this post, I'm going to go into the app and schedule my service appointing, using the photos I took during the inspection. I will update the post with an update on how that process goes, and hopefully it goes well!

Hope this helps! I've got a huge grin right now :)

2020-06-30 14.25.30.jpg 2020-06-30 14.34.17.jpg 2020-06-30 14.34.58.jpg 2020-06-30 15.25.52.jpg 2020-06-30 16.11.45.jpg 2020-06-30 16.12.22-1.jpg 2020-06-30 16.13.13-1.jpg 2020-06-30 16.14.53-1.jpg

Full photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZWRp5C3zdig2za4x6

those rims looks amazing. which ones are they (guessing TSline)

I know that it can vary widely, but what kind of range should I expect to pay for this? Would $2300 from a place with a seemingly good reputation be a good price?
Congrats on getting the car finally. I got quoted $1895 for full front PPF from APC Auto spa in woodinville. More info at https://www.apcautospa.com/paint-protection-film-stek-kavaca

I'm looking at PPF options in Seattle as well. Maybe we should share our notes :)

Hey OP, thanks for sharing your experience. Big congrats on accepting your 2nd VIN! It looks great! I think your car has the best aligned rear seats that I've seen so far.

I recently refused delivery of my Model Y and wanted to know what to expect as far as timeline for the replacement to arrive. It was so disheartening watching so many new MY owners drive off the lot while I waited over 1 hr for them to bring out mine for inspection... Your experience gives me hope that I'll also be able to drive off the lot as a happy MY owner!

Anyway, enjoy the car and glad it all turned out well!

I'll cut to the chase: I drove home today in my new Model Y (blue/black, Induction, no FSD) after refusing my initial delivery. Read on for how my 2nd delivery went and some tips you may find useful.

---

16 days ago I refused delivery of my Model Y and shared that experience on r/teslamotors. I had ordered my Model Y on March 19, 2019 and over a year later I was this close to driving home in a Model Y. But, as many people have experienced, the car was in pretty bad shape and I felt like I needed to refuse delivery and ask for a new VIN.

Fast forward to today, June 30. Last day of the 2nd quarter. I had a 2pm appointment for delivery. The VIN I was assigned was a 19xxx and the build date was June 2020. I did a few things different this time around:
  3. I took pictures.
I got to the delivery center 15 minutes early and I'm really glad I did. I saw a team of 3 Tesla employees finishing up a walk-around and spot detail of the car. A sales manager (red polo shirt) was managing this process, and I patiently waited until they were done before I walked over to begin my inspection.

The first person I spoke to started walking me through their process of first "accepting delivery on the website" and then using the app to open the car, but I explained I wanted to inspect the car first and asked them to help me open the doors. I got no pushback about this at all.

I had printed-out this checklist and began inspecting the car, starting at the driver-side and moving clockwise. The day was overcast, so the lighting wasn't great. While the car was quite clean, I still had to use my micro-fiber towel on pretty much every panel to double-check there wasn't a pain issue. After I had completed the outside review, I asked someone to open the car and proceeded to review the interior. Here are all of the items I took note of. To be super clear: this car, compared to what I've seen and read about, was in great condition. That's why I accepted delivery.

• Some trim alignment issues
I called over the sales manager and walked through all of these items. He agreed that they were all issues and asked me to schedule a service appointment to have them taken care of.

At the point I logged into the website, clicked "Accept Delivery", and then the next thing I new the Tesla app on my phone was show this Model Y. I signed the paperwork that had been left in the car for me and drove home.

After I wrap-up this post, I'm going to go into the app and schedule my service appointing, using the photos I took during the inspection. I will update the post with an update on how that process goes, and hopefully it goes well!

View attachment 558888 View attachment 558889 View attachment 558890 View attachment 558892 View attachment 558893 View attachment 558894 View attachment 558895 View attachment 558896

Congratulations - the backseat bosses look happy! And the induction rims look fantastic.

Congrats and welcome to the Y family!

Just my 2 cents.

When scheduling a service appointment through the Tesla app, it has a limitation of characters and a maximum of 5 images. So if you plan to put in more than 750 words and have more images, I would suggest summarizing the defects instead of bullet points and add the 5 top images you think are high priority. After you selected the Service Center location and get the confirmation, send an email to that Tesla Service Center and provide more detail of the defects/issues. Be sure to upload your images on a hosted site like imgur.com and provide them the link to your photos.

Do not do any paint protection or wrapping until after your car has been fully repaired. Also wait 10-20 days so that any paint defects that were repaired is cured and fully dry.

Cheers.

those rims looks amazing. which ones are they (guessing TSline)

Congrats on getting the car finally. I got quoted $1895 for full front PPF from APC Auto spa in woodinville. More info at https://www.apcautospa.com/paint-protection-film-stek-kavaca

I'm looking at PPF options in Seattle as well. Maybe we should share our notes :)
They are from T-Sportline but they are the limited edition Falcon just for the Y. I had Titan Seven’s on my M3 that I loved but they didn’t have them in the right size for my MY. Love the color of these as they aren’t black but a dark grey.

Reading through this thread just confirms my belief that I will not replace my 2014 Model S until I have a Store in the Buffalo metro area. We currently have a mini Service Center in the Rochester area but they cannot make deliveries. I doubt that rejecting a poorly constructed vehicle would be possible if it were delivered by truck.

---

3. I took pictures.

• Some trim alignmreent issues

View attachment 558888 View attachment 558889 View attachment 558890 View attachment 558892 View attachment 558893 View attachment 558894 View attachment 558895 View attachment 558896

All of these horror stories coming from recent deliveries have literally paralyzed me from replacing my '17 MS. Though I would stick with the MS (because I don't there is a prettier car on the road) I have no reason to believe the build quality will be any different than all those detailed in posts here.

You found all that stuff on the 2nd go-round? Pathetic. It is unprecedented to buy a $60k car and EXPECT poor assembly. Maybe everybody should refuse delivery until Tesla cleans up its act.

FWIW there are plenty of people accepting delivery because their vehicles are flawless or close enough that they don’t care. People who have a great experience don’t tend to rant about it on the forums, whereas those who reject delivery or have bad experiences tend to post at a high rate. Forum Induced Anxiety is a very real issue.

carter_seattle, thank you for sharing your experience. We have some items to report before our first 100 miles, too. We were completely on our own at pick-up at the factory Thursday. One Tesla guy we flagged down who was walking around with a spray bottle and rag told us to report any issues in the first hundred miles on the car or the app. That was all the contact we had, except for another Tesla guy who walked by and asked us if we wanted a picture with our car.