TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Accident shows safety Model S!

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Maarten, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Maarten

Maarten Active Member

Today one of our Dutch fellow forum members was hit from the rear by another car.
    The results are absolutely staggering.... in a positive way regarding the strength of the Model S!
    Luckily nobody was injured. Tesla said the parking of the Model S are not working anymore... :biggrin:
    The people that came to clear the cars of the accident site called the Model S 'a tank'.
    The photo's show why: Schade topic - Page 14

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

WOW!
    The other car looks like it literally hit a tank!

3. Lump

Lump Active Member

I wonder if he has the rear facing kids seats with the second bumper & reinforcements?

4. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Either that or the optional 'Rear Force Field'. Glad everyone is ok (assuming both vehicles).

5. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I was wondering the same thing. Any way to find out if that car has the rear seats? Pretty amazing.

6. Maarten

Maarten Active Member

No, the Model S involved has no rear facing seats and no extra reinforcements.

7. redevries

redevries René de Vries

After the accident the car gave warning that the parking assistance wasn't working. Nobody was hurt, the guy causing the accident was driving a loaner since he had recently smashed his own car in a similar accident.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#8 NigelM, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Reposting the photos from the Dutch thread:

OP also stated that the Model S rear trunk still opened and closed OK.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Wow. The Model S looks scratched, the other car looks totaled.

10. Electric Machete

That is amazing. I love this car. Just keeps getting better. Its been over a year and I still get excited to drive it.

11. MassX1317

MassX1317 Addicted to TMC

I didn't add rear facing seats because I was worried about my kids back there. Maybe I should reconsider before confirming.

12. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

The kids just end up back there for an hour a year, when you are carting 6 or 7 family members out to eat (in my experience). useful option.

13. tom66

tom66 Member

Do take note that the car in the accident looks like an old Volvo or such - these cars, while among the safest cars of their time, hold nothing to a car engineered to modern standards like Model S. I think if you had, for example, two Teslas colliding, you'd have a lot more damage on both. Still, they would be safe for the passengers. Really bad crashes like this:

Salvage-Model-S.png

show that even in severe accidents, the structure of the vehicle (passenger occupant cell) remains completely intact. That photo is from a car without rear seats so missing additional reinforcement bar.

14. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Our kids were in it every trip for the first 2-3 weeks. Now they get back there once a month or like AustinEV says when we are taking 6 or 7 people somewhere.

15. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Cars without rear-facing seats do have extra reinforcement in the rear bumper area if they are pre VIN-5,xxx. That is when they switched the design and no longer allowed post-delivery installation of rear-facing seats. Do we know the VIN of this particular car is?

16. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

I don't think they were shipping to the Netherlands then were they?

17. tom66

tom66 Member

It has an "-A" battery. Surprisingly can't find anything more on it; found it on the Stretchla blog...
    http://cafeelectric.com/stretchla/

So maybe it has the bar in place. But also some vehicles near the end of the 5,000 have a mix of "-A" and "-B" batteries.

18. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Only North American, maybe even only US were under 54xx.

19. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

Texting that you will be home in twenty minutes so dinner is ready on time is so much more important that paying attention to traffic ...

As a motorcyclist there are few things I hate more than inattentive drivers.

20. Rutger

Rutger Member

No, it's a standard S85 without rear facing seats.

- - - Updated - - -

I uploaded some more pictures. The police asked me what car he hit. When I told him it was the Tesla, they almost didn't believe it. The other driver needed an ambulance for checkup, but he's ok. I think his car is beyond repair though.

The Tesla worked fine, the only message I got was an error coming from the rear parking sensors. An hour later a drove 80km home with the car. The last photo is a picture from this morning, at home.

The car was delivered last December, so a bit a bummer to have an accident with it already. The bumper will need replacement I think, and the trunk has a small dent, don't know if it is easy to fix that. The trunk is still able to open and close. I hope there is no invisible damage. It's realy amazing, and I'm very happy I drove this car.

foto 1a.jpg
    foto 2a.jpg
    foto 4a.jpg
    foto 5a.jpg
    foto 7a.jpg