Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally drove Model 3 through garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll have to be a little bit more specific with your situation.

Were you going forward or reverse?
Were you driving the vehicle?
Were you using the summon functionality and not driving?

If you were reversing out of your garage and driving and your garage door happened to be closed, the sensors should've caused the car to signal (alarm noises) you about a collision. If you ignored the alarm, all Teslas I believe will allow you to creep into an object, whether going forward or backward.

Collision detection and auto braking I believe are implemented not as damage avoidance, but life threatening situation avoidance. By this I mean the sensors can't intelligently know all obstacles that it is tracking, so when you're moving at a slow pace, the sensors could simply be tracking a parking stop and you wouldn't want it to control how you park. On the other hand, if you are going at speed and have enough momentum, avoiding a fatal accident is obviously much more important than knowing what object that you're approaching, so it will be much more active in auto braking/trying to avoid the vehicle, depending on if you're in auto steer or not.

This is funny. It sounds like typical attempt to shift blame from oneself to something else. Instead of "OMG I drove through my garage door because I didnt notice it was not open!!!" Its "OMG how could my tesla drive through the garage door!!!"

I suspect the OP got in his/ her car, hit reverse, stepped on it, crashed into the door, and now is wondering why the tesla did not override his / her driver input. Thus the title and text:

My Tesla Model 3 let itself break through garage door. Why it could not stop itself instead?
Is it not yet ready for that much capability for driver assistance?

And from the title I was wondering why a BMW was breaking into, or out of, his garage. Was it defecting because he bought a Tesla Model 3?

I made that comment several times here (that these cars are not "M3"s and its silly to call them such because thats another brands halo car name), but was told repeatedly "Its just tesla forums talk" and "its fine". I decided it was not the "hill I wanted to die on" so to speak but I wont call a model 3 an "m3".. because its not... any more than some other car beside a porsche is a 911.

I made that comment several times here (that these cars are not "M3"s and its silly to call them such because thats another brands halo car name), but was told repeatedly "Its just tesla forums talk" and "its fine". I decided it was not the "hill I wanted to die on" so to speak but I wont call a model 3 an "m3".. because its not... any more than some other car beside a porsche is a 911.

There are also quite a few Model Xs with Front Wheel Drive! (ducks)

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
I'm guessing the OP was behind the wheel and accidentally hit the accelerator before opening the garage door, and is wondering why the sensors in the car didn't detect and stop it.

If so, it's a good question. Does the car have the ability to stop itself when it detects an object getting too close? I know it can while driving, but I have never tried it in a confined space at low speeds.

They have a mind of their own and are totally unsafe! Everybody ruuuuuuun before your Tesla destroys everyone and everything you hold dear!

OP: More information or photos would help. We hope you and your Model 3 and your garage door are alright.

An actual conversation I had with my 29yr old girlfriend after she drove my car.

Girlfriend "A trailer hit the back of your car"
Me "Did you get the guys insurance?"
Girlfriend "No, he was not around"
Me "So you backed into a trailer?"
Girlfriend "Nope, I was backing up and it was in my way"
Me "Didn't you look at the camera?"
Girlfriend "Nope, I use the mirrors"
Me "What about the parking sensor beeps?"
Girlfriend "I thought they always beeped when in reverse"
Me "Yep, it was definitely the trailers fault"

An actual conversation I had with my 29yr old girlfriend after she drove my car.

Ex-girlfriend?

So, control of the vehicle is not programmed to avoid collision under the circumstance. Car only signals driver that it is approaching an object(s).
It can be programmed to stop even under slow moving situation. And the control can be defaulted for OFF which can optionally be turned on. Ignoring warning could result in serious accident or life threatening. Problem is if it fails to warn or driver does not realize ignoring warning.

Here is how the incident happened:
I turned the car into my driveway and started regenerative braking. I realized that rate of the deceleration was not high enough so that I pressed a pedal. But unfortunately it was a wrong pedal. I do not think there was warning before and after the pedal was pressed.

So, control of the vehicle is not programmed to avoid collision under the circumstance. Car only signals driver that it is approaching an object(s).
It can be programmed to stop even under slow moving situation. And the control can be defaulted for OFF which can optionally be turned on. Ignoring warning could result in serious accident or life threatening. Problem is if it fails to warn or driver does not realize ignoring warning.

Here is how the incident happened:
I turned the car into my driveway and started regenerative braking. I realized that rate of the deceleration was not high enough so that I pressed a pedal. But unfortunately it was a wrong pedal. I do not think there was warning before and after the pedal was pressed.

Did you have the Obstacle-Aware Acceleration turned on?

Obstacle-Aware Acceleration.png

Run! Run now, while you still can.